Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards InterContinental hotels in Tokyo – best option?

• meta 1,439 posts

How big are the rooms? They all seem quite small. I was contemplating on staying there later this month, but given I am travelling with my partner decided not to. If they are big enough to open two suitcases on the floor like Kimpton’s premium rooms I might switch.

LiamG 32 posts

How big are the rooms? They all seem quite small. I was contemplating on staying there later this month, but given I am travelling with my partner decided not to. If they are big enough to open two suitcases on the floor like Kimpton’s premium rooms I might switch.

Probably not quite big enough for that, at least not leaving any room to walk past them! But, close.

KevinC 76 posts

We are going to Japan this summer, just when everyone on here says you shouldn’t go but we’ve been in the summer before and still had fun.

A few hotel questions.

1) I can get the Hilton Shinjuku at quite a reasonable rate for two nights from Amex Hotel Collection with a $100 credit per room. If I elect to pay at the hotel, would I still get Gold benefits or will it be treated like a Expedia booking?

2) Has anyone stayed at The Kahala in Yokohama, by far the least Expensive of the Fine Hotels and Resort options. Alternatively is the Hyatt Regency Yokohama okay? We could stay there before travelling him and use points to get a club room or a suite.

3) Advanced level stuff, but has anyone stayed in Gunma. Specifically we want to visit Gunma Insect World which is near Kiryu. There are a couple of hotels there or we could stay in Takasagi for access to the Shinkansen, or Maebashi where there’s a Dormy Inn. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

meta 1,439 posts

Summer is fine if you can tolerate the heat or have means to cool down (sea, pool, or going to the mountainous regions such as Gunma or north to Hokkaido).

On your point number one, it will depend on how Hilton Shinjuku is set up. I have not tried with Hilton hotels, but have received benefits at both IHG and Marriott hotels before whether paid in advance or on check out.

I stayed with a friend in Takasaki before, but he had the car and we drove around. If you have a car it doesn’t really matter where you base yourself. If not, you need to plan carefully local transport. While shinkansen will always be fine, local trains/buses may be scarce, especially in the summer. It can easily take 2-3 hours to get somewhere what would be less than an hour in the car. Sometimes it doesn’t even show on Google Maps in which as you need to do a deeper online search (also in Japanese).

KevinC 76 posts

Summer is fine if you can tolerate the heat or have means to cool down (sea, pool, or going to the mountainous regions such as Gunma or north to Hokkaido).

On your point number one, it will depend on how Hilton Shinjuku is set up. I have not tried with Hilton hotels, but have received benefits at both IHG and Marriott hotels before whether paid in advance or on check out.

I stayed with a friend in Takasaki before, but he had the car and we drove around. If you have a car it doesn’t really matter where you base yourself. If not, you need to plan carefully local transport. While shinkansen will always be fine, local trains/buses may be scarce, especially in the summer. It can easily take 2-3 hours to get somewhere what would be less than an hour in the car. Sometimes it doesn’t even show on Google Maps in which as you need to do a deeper online search (also in Japanese).

Thank you. I think we will hire a car in Gunma for the reasons you set out. And I pressed inappropriate content instead of quote which I did NOT mean to do. Apologies.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.