Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards IHG Diamond status and Ambassador

• jj 520 posts

If your scrambled egg or omelette is a uniform colour with no visible streaks of albumen or yolk, you are probably eating an ultra-proceased frankenfood, as @strickers says.

I usually avoid scrambled egg or omelette except in high quality boutique hotels. Even the breakfast egg stations in many large hotels use factory-processed aggs unless you ask for fried/poached egg.

Andrew J 769 posts

The croissants at HIX T4 are very good, full size and freshly baked (from frozen obviously, but that’s all Pret ones are too). That and a bean to cup coffee machine and I’m happy as I don’t eat eggs anyway. If you’re looking for a multi-course extensive breakfast you want to spend an hour over then HIX isn’t the place, but for a functional morning start they do the job.

danimal 85 posts

You’ll find out on 1st March ….

The email I got said “Our annual review of your 2022 qualifying activity is in progress. Your 2023 status will be updated in your account by the end of March.”

VALittleRed 122 posts

The email I got said “Our annual review of your 2022 qualifying activity is in progress. Your 2023 status will be updated in your account by the end of March.”

Have a cc voucher night redemption mid-lateish march so hoping the system still sees me as Diamond for a free breakfast!

Swifty 41 posts

i have a quick q which i shall also ask in chat… i have an offer, stay 8 times and get status til 24. If i book hotels for family members on my ihg, and they stay there without me, am I creditted with the stays…or do *I actually need to check in* my self physically and then bugger off back home?? thanks in advance

AnotherUser 182 posts

I’ve always had the nights credited (hotels booked in my name through the app, and then I told the hotels someone else was staying). I’d guess IHG’s T&Cs mean they can wriggle out of this if they want, though.

When I’ve booked two rooms for family on the same night, I’ve only had one night credited.

RobH not Rob 25 posts

I purchased AMB last year which preserved my diamond status until 31 Dec 2023. Nice. Like others, my status in the app recently now showed “Diamond until 31.12.22”, which caused a bit of a stir.

Rob advised us to wait until 1st March when the run off petiod wss due to end, and as of today I’m still Diamond and showing as “Diamond status until 31.12.22”.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thoughts on how it may shake out?

dst87 264 posts

I see the same thing (Diamond to December 2022). I suppose we’ll see. I hope they resolve soon as it may affect where I book.

Having Diamond was nice after just scraping it on points when the requirements were low, but I’ll never get it long term except through the workaround. If I lose it, I lose it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Anyone else in the same boat? Thoughts on how it may shake out?

The website clearly says the status refresh hasn’t been completed yet. Wait and see.

Magarathea 51 posts

I had IHG Diamond status last year and only did 17 stays which would not even qualify for IHG Gold. I got an email this morning confirming my status as Platinum Elite until the end of 2023. Chuffed. My OH only did 5 stays and she has also got Platinum Elite. So soft status drop seems to be a thing.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

I’m still showing as Diamond but under review. I’ve got the email from September congratulating me on achieving Diamond and stating all the benefits, so I’m just wondering what explanation IHG would offer for this. I imagine it would be a bit embarrassing for them to admit to an IT error on this scale.

Jon9 16 posts

I’m still showing as Diamond but under review. I’ve got the email from September congratulating me on achieving Diamond and stating all the benefits, so I’m just wondering what explanation IHG would offer for this. I imagine it would be a bit embarrassing for them to admit to an IT error on this scale.

What was your route for obtaining Diamond and getting the email please? Was it the ambassador renewal, the Diamond offer code that was generally shared or natural stays / points? Just wondering as my account showed an extension in Diamond status to the following year upon renewal of ambassador but I don’t think I received an email about it.

Harrier25 852 posts

What was your route for obtaining Diamond and getting the email please?

For most of us the route was via spend on the black IHG Creation credit card until it was so cruelly snatched from us!

strickers 660 posts

I’ve got the message and I did 93 nights last year!

palty 4 posts

Hi everyone

So yesterday I received an email from IHG saying that I dropped down to platinum elite after being diamond from a status match for a while.

Now usually I don’t stay in IHG hotels,
    But as it happens, next month I’ve got 2 stays at 2 ihg property’s in the states and I’m thinking weather or not there’s any sort of way to gain back my diamond status before I go?
    Kind regards

DarrenS 91 posts

I had IHG Diamond status last year and only did 17 stays which would not even qualify for IHG Gold. I got an email this morning confirming my status as Platinum Elite until the end of 2023. Chuffed. My OH only did 5 stays and she has also got Platinum Elite. So soft status drop seems to be a thing.

Looks like it. I had only 3 paid stays last year as Diamond. Dropped to Platinum until end 2023.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

@Jon9, as per Harrier, Creation card then Ambassador renewal. No emails here yet, still showing Diamond. I wonder if they’re doing them in alphabetical order or what?

@palty
    , you could try joining Ambassador but there’s absolutely no guarantee that it’s still working. If not, this may only benefit you if you change your upcoming US stays to IC properties!

VALittleRed 122 posts

Seems to me unfortunately every account is being manually reviewed as they know their IT is giving away too many diamonds sadly. I hope I stay diamond until the end of the month which would cover a couple of stays later this month but not sure it will.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Seems to me unfortunately every account is being manually reviewed

There are allegedly 100m IHG rewards members…

StanTheMan 217 posts

I used Rob’s link to jump to diamond last year, with the same 31/12/22 end date.

It has now dropped me back to Platinum….. Fair play.

I guess other people will be getting the news soon enough….

VALittleRed 122 posts

There are allegedly 100m IHG rewards members

And how many of those are diamond? Of which they can then categorise and split into groups depending how they all achieved diamond. I suspect more manual this year than prior years even if not fully manual.

VALittleRed 122 posts

I used Rob’s link to jump to diamond last year, with the same 31/12/22 end date.

Sadly I suspect so, least you enjoyed some free months out of it. I just hope their’s another opportunity like this again! Or one where it could incentivise more possible stays to achieve diamond easier.

StanTheMan 217 posts

Sadly I suspect so, least you enjoyed some free months out of it. I just hope their’s another opportunity like this again! Or one where it could incentivise more possible stays to achieve diamond easier.

i did debate paying the 200 bucks for AMB to see if that extended it till end of next year – but didnt
    Wonder if anyone in that boat has been downgraded now too.

RonnieB 288 posts

Here’s a question – Player 1 books a weekend at an IC using free weekend night voucher (while she is Diamond AMB) along with Player 2 who is also Diamond AMB. Player 1’s Diamond status was the free one from last year maintained by buying AMB membership and it has now dropped to Platinum. Player 2’s status is still Diamond. Player 2 has actually booked a third night as well.

Main benefit that might be lost is free breakfast Sat/Sun but will this still be honoured as Player 2 is on the booking, even though he hasn’t booked the first 2 night?

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

Whoever checks you in will be able to see the status on the 2 bookings, the fact that you have a Diamond guest doesn’t grant you those benefits. They may well adhere strictly to the rules and say you can have breakfast free on the 3rd morning but not the first and second. It might be worth seeing if you can get a decent rate to pre-book breakfast – prior to being Diamond I used to check what the rate was at the point of booking (could be as low as £10pp even at ICs and Kimpton) and email to ask if they would apply that to my Ambassador booking. At least half the time they said yes!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.