Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards IHG Diamond status and Ambassador

• iamfugly 28 posts

Hi, probably a question which has been asked and answered already but I can’t really stomach reading through 8 pages this Sunday morning.
    So, I have Diamond status expiring end of Dec 2023. I only really achieve this status through my creation credit card. Now with the card closing am I correct in thinking if I apply for Ambassador this will further extend my Diamond status until end of 2024?
    If so, is it irrelevant if I apply now or end of the year nearer the expiry date of my Diamond status? ie will the extension be only until Dec 2024 either way?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Lula 204 posts

It has for others. And it might for you. But it might not. And there’s no comeback if it doesn’t. I reckon there’s a better than evens chance that it will work though.

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Unless you need the benefits before then, I would wait until the beginning of December – IIRC it’s been reported by a couple of readers that this seemed to extend Diamond for nearly 2 years. Report back with your findings, anyway!

Supergers49 225 posts

IIRC it’s been reported by a couple of readers that this seemed to extend Diamond for nearly 2 years. Report back with your findings, anyway!

My Ambassador was due to expire on 31-Jul-23, recently renewed and it immediately updatedy Diamond from 31-Dec-23 to 31-Dec-24. Whether it remains that way at the year end is anyone’s guess… but so far so good.

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

There were people who renewed in Dec 22 and their Diamond was extended until Dec 2024 – by this logic if you renew in Dec this year, you may get it till the end of 2025!

zio 249 posts

I renewed Dec 22 and had diamond extended to Dec 23. There were reports of people getting the extra year (but did it stick past April?). I think most seem to have been getting rest of current calendar year plus all of the following year.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

On page one of this thread I reported as below and am pleased to confirm that my Diamond Elite status STILL shows as ‘until Dec 31, 2024’in the app:

“My data point –

Mrs T was a new Ambassador member (paid cash) in Sept 22 and this extended her Diamond Elite membership (expiring 31/12/22) until 31/12/23. It has now (today?) reverted to 31/12/22 expiry.

Mr T – existing Ambassador member and Diamond Elite (expiring 31/12/22), renewed with points in Dec 22 which extended Diamond Elite until 31/12/24 and this is currently still showing as my expiry…”

zio 249 posts

Lucky you! So is Mrs T currently platinum AMB?
    My post this afternoon was not precise, and may account for my different treatment: I was a lapsed rather than renewing AMB member (last paid in 2019).

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Lucky you! So is Mrs T currently platinum AMB?
    My post this afternoon was not precise, and may account for my different treatment: I was a lapsed rather than renewing AMB member (last paid in 2019).

Thanks for pointing out I didn’t update on the Mrs GT datapoint @Zio – She actually reverted to Diamond Elite expiry of 31/12/23 once the April updates happened so all’s well that ends well!

iamfugly 28 posts

Hi all, thank you for your input. Much appreciated.
    I am not requiring the Ambassador benefits at the moment so will try and wait towards end of the year to apply.
    I’ll post the results here when I do so.
    Thanks again.

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Data point – renewed Ambassador yesterday and will be sparkling through 2024 💎

Supergers49 225 posts

Fingers crossed @NorthernLass – Did mine last month and got the same outcome.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,083 posts

Did you use points or cash?

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Cash, because they were offering 15k bonus points which made it a slightly better deal than using 40k points. However, I used points last year and got the same result.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,083 posts

Thanks. I’m trying to wind down my pointe balance so would prefer to use those rather than cash. But yes 15k is something to factor in when o come to decide – my renewal isn’t until December.

BJ 657 posts

Thanks for datapoints. Good to hear that it’s still business as usual. I timed mine so renewal window would span Black Friday period.

PaulMichael 5 posts

Just had diamond extended til 31/12/24. Oddly although the invitation to renew was on my account, I couldn’t actually pay. Tried different browsers, don’t know if it’s an iPhone/Mac glitch? Ended up calling them.

Olly 242 posts

Also just received an email stating “Welcome to Diamond” and confirming status has been extended until end of 2024 but the weird part is that I haven’t renewed my Ambassador membership. At least not since I rejoined last December in order to get diamond for this year. Anyone else had this?

Harrier25 852 posts

Yes I have, but it still says that my Diamond tier expires on 31/12/2023 in the app, so God knows what’s going on?

Peggerz 101 posts

Just had an e-mail confirming my status as Diamond until end of December 2024. I am 8 months into this years’ Ambassador year so I am confused. I was 💎 until end of December 2023 and had hoped with the renewal of Amb to continue, but this a bonus. Still, I am not complaining and will graciously accept.

Anna 458 posts

Is that reflected in your account though, @Peggerz?

sloth 315 posts

Same timeline as Peggerz for me also, but date has not changed in the app, still expires 12/23

milesandmordor 10 posts

Me too – email to say extended to Dec 2024 but still only Dec 2023 in App. A bit puzzled.

PaulW922 4 posts

And the same for me!

Peggerz 101 posts

Is that reflected in your account though, @Peggerz?

Hi @Anna. Nothing has changed on the app yet. Still plenty of time to change though.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.