Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Irish equivalent of CEDR?

• bd85uk 30 posts

Hi all

As the title says, is there something similar to CEDR in this case for Aer Lingus

I had a BA flight booked on points from Belfast City to Heathrow over the summer, which was cancelled and so I was moved onto on Aer Lingus flight.

The Aer Lingus flight was cancelled after we boarded due to a hydraulic problem with the brakes. We were all offered a flight the next morning but had to book our own hotels. I checked hotel prices, but also the cost of an EasyJet flight back to Gatwick. These worked out roughly the same, so booked it. I also had to get a taxi from Gatwick back to Heathrow to collect my car.

Who should I be chasing for the costs – if I should be? Would I be due the roughly £150 for the EasyJet flight plus £70 taxi from Aer Lingus, or should I be chasing British Airways for it? Or should I be due an Avios refund for the return flight from British Airways only?

Or am I due EU261 compensation for being over three hours late, even though I made my own arrangements back. I thought I was being reasonable with Aer Lingus about the flight cost compared to what the hotel would have cost. It’s been over eight weeks now, so just looking at where to go from here.

They have acknowledged my emails but saying them at there is a back log.

Thanks

Ben

JDB 4,339 posts

I don’t think EI participates in an arbitration scheme, but you can complain to the Irish regulator – see flightrights.ie. You don’t give all the circumstances, but from what you have said, I don’t think EI is liable to pay for the Easyjet flight or the taxi as you went and did your own thing in lieu of their own proposal. It doesn’t make a difference that the flight cost was similar to the hotel cost; that wasn’t the option. You should however, be entitled to cancellation compensation from EI and potentially from BA if that first flight cancellation was with less than 14 days notice.

I’m not sure about getting a refund of Avios and cash from BA as it will probably appear to them as if the ticket was used if you checked in, so you will have to set out clearly what happened and that you didn’t ultimately fly on that ticket as the flight was cancelled after boarding but instead flew on Easyjet.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.