Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios What are the Barclaycard Mastercard World Elite privileges?

• Ash 621 posts

Got the premier card. Can’t find any sign of the Mastercard World Elite privileges HfP said come with the card. BC chat said they are’nt any but they’d let me if they roll it out.

jayjay 74 posts

Same, I have no idea what benefits we actually get with this card.

duggie1982 261 posts

Has already been posted on here the issues with finding out what they are

chrisfman 6 posts

I have a World Elite MC from Santander. had it for some time now.

This card will have different benefits from different providers but from Santander it has airport lounge, global free wifi and access to other events I never attend myself.

tiriavpo 312 posts

In the original articles, Rob said he was going to post some info shortly but I’ve not seen anything yet.

jp-mco 6 posts

If you’ve got a Mastercard World Elite card you can use FastTrack security at Rome FCO airport. This is one of the perks I know about.

Jamesp21 28 posts

Rob/Rhys – what is your take on this? You’ve been royally led up the garden path by Barclays with this card rollout.

duggie1982 261 posts

If you’ve got a Mastercard World Elite card you can use FastTrack security at Rome FCO airport. This is one of the perks I know about.

Is that with Barclay card as each bank/provider choose what benefits their customer base gets so one provider may be different to another (both ‘world Elite’ cards)

Lady London 2,030 posts

I believe there is a Mastercard World Elite site that has its own generic promotions. I distinctly recall coming across it in the past couple of years or so whilst following up a generic Mastercard World Elite promo reported elsewhere. Could be worth a bit of googling.

RichMac19 5 posts

It’s worth noting that MasterCard have the BIN range as MasterCard World product and not MasterCard elite. Tried to explain that to Barclays… epic fail.

Ash 621 posts

I tried the phone number here

https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/personal/find-a-card/world-elite-mastercard-credit.html

Call centre in India, you go through security. Card number etc…get told they don’t have full details of all your world elite benefits but please hold while they transfer you to a colleague who does….you are then met by the main Barclaycard automated menu. I miss Amex haha

icg2201 13 posts

In the original articles, Rob said he was going to post some info shortly but I’ve not seen anything yet.

I think HfP has egg on its face over the launch of these cards. Several promises of more information on the World Elite benefits have been made, but nothing has appeared. I’ve been dubious for some time about HfP product endorsements, but the Barclaycard experience surpasses everything that’s come before (negatively, of course!).

memesweeper 1,244 posts

I think HfP has egg on its face over the launch of these cards.

A blog managed to drum up enough interest in a new product that a major blue-chip household name can’t deal with the demand. Not what I’d call an egg-on-face situation.

Aston100 1,382 posts

A blog managed to drum up enough interest in a new product that a major blue-chip household name can’t deal with the demand. Not what I’d call an egg-on-face situation

Not sure if all the issues to date can be attributed to inability to deal with demand.
    There are a fair number of instances of lack of preparation, or perhaps launching a product that was not fully tested.
    Incompetence may also be a factor in some cases.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Sam 96 posts

I think HfP has egg on its face over the launch of these cards.

A blog managed to drum up enough interest in a new product that a major blue-chip household name can’t deal with the demand. Not what I’d call an egg-on-face situation.

+1

flyertalk29 9 posts

Pretty sure Barclaycard don’t know what the World Elite privileges entail and they don’t have a plan for them.

icg2201 13 posts

Pretty sure Barclaycard don’t know what the World Elite privileges entail and they don’t have a plan for them.

Which begs the question why did HfP repeatedly say they were going to explain those benefits. Let’s not forget HfP also said they had been heavily involved in the design of the product…if that’s the case, why don’t they know anything about the WE benefits?

flyertalk29 9 posts

Indeed – the silence from HfP is deafening. The rollout of the cards has been very poorly planned and executed. I’ve now paid £40 in monthly fees and still don’t know what, if any, benefits I should be entitled to.

Charles Martel 124 posts

Indeed – the silence from HfP is deafening. The rollout of the cards has been very poorly planned and executed. I’ve now paid £40 in monthly fees and still don’t know what, if any, benefits I should be entitled to.

Why would you take out a card for an unknown benefit? Surely most people would have applied on the basis of what was known: the upgrade voucher, sign up bonus and earn rate.

dougzz99 626 posts

1.5 Avios/GBP and a 25K or possible 30K Avios sign up bonus. Spend £10K and get the cabin upgrade voucher, seems like a winner to me. £5/month back on the Premier banking if you have that too.
    Barclays customer service is pony, and none of this has worked smoothly, and for some probably not at all. I spoke to someone at Bcard yesterday who refused to give me the first month fee back, fee charged and statement issued well ahead of card being provided. I’ll complain in writing on Monday, I thought HSBC were poor, but Barclays have set the bar even lower.
    The WE privileges are almost certainly zero. Not sure that’s any worse than a lounge pass that doesn’t get you in lounges.
    Knowing all this I’d still apply again as the benefits justify the hassle.

flyertalk29 9 posts

Why would you take out a card for an unknown benefit? Surely most people would have applied on the basis of what was known: the upgrade voucher, sign up bonus and earn rate.

Of course – the sign up bonus, earn rate and upgrade voucher are the reasons I applied – so I knew what benefits I’d receive. I was referring specifically to the World Elite benefits, of which there is still no official word.

I too contacted Mastercard who confirmed the BIN number on my card is not in the World Elite range. I’ve made a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service that Barclaycard are falsely advertising a card with World Elite privileges – even if no official word has been given what these benefits are, the fact that it’s printed on the card is a breach of consumer law if Mastercard does not recognise the card as being World Elite.

stevenhp1987 330 posts

Of course – the sign up bonus, earn rate and upgrade voucher are the reasons I applied – so I knew what benefits I’d receive. I was referring specifically to the World Elite benefits, of which there is still no official word.

I too contacted Mastercard who confirmed the BIN number on my card is not in the World Elite range. I’ve made a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service that Barclaycard are falsely advertising a card with World Elite privileges – even if no official word has been given what these benefits are, the fact that it’s printed on the card is a breach of consumer law if Mastercard does not recognise the card as being World Elite.

Where do you see Barclaycard advertising any World Elite privileges?

If I go on the Avios Plus card page on their website there is no mention of any such privileges.

It doesn’t mention World Elite at all. Its only displayed on the card image.

They can’t be held responsible for something they’re not advertising surely?

JDB 4,339 posts

There is no mention during the formal application process of the card being a World Elite one or having any associated benefits. I am sure you are also aware that any WE benefits that could be offered are very basic/nominal anyway.

You have not been promised anything, so I can’t see what a complaint to the FOS would gain. Also, you needed to have complained to Barclays before going to the FOS – what did they say?

Seems like a great fuss about nothing; no wonder the FOS service is clogged up.

flyertalk29 9 posts

I complained to Barclaycard whose official response was “As this is a new product, we are unable to give any information on World Elite benefits at this time, but we hope to give more information in the near future”.

JDB 4,339 posts

I complained to Barclaycard whose official response was “As this is a new product, we are unable to give any information on World Elite benefits at this time, but we hope to give more information in the near future”.

So what remedy have you asked the FOS for? If you applied for the card, you have been promised nothing in respect of WE benefits, so there is no compensation due and if you haven’t applied for the card, so are not a customer, you have no locus standi to bring a complaint. You cite “a breach of consumer law” and Barclays “falsely advertising” so I trust you have provided documentary evidence of this to the FOS.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.