Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios What are the Barclaycard Mastercard World Elite privileges?

• tiriavpo 312 posts

Pretty sure Barclaycard don’t know what the World Elite privileges entail and they don’t have a plan for them.

Which begs the question why did HfP repeatedly say they were going to explain those benefits. Let’s not forget HfP also said they had been heavily involved in the design of the product…if that’s the case, why don’t they know anything about the WE benefits?

Correction – HfP actually said they would try and get the info from Barclays and would update what they found out.

If there’s issues here it’s with Barclays and not HfP. I just don’t understand why everyone is trying to jump all over the people who promoted it (your choice to take it up) and not the company responsible.

At the end of the day HfP promoted a card that offered a set bonus and certain number of avios per £ spent. For those who applied and were accepted this is exactly what you’re getting. They did NOT promote it based on WE status. In fact the WE status was only brought up in comments AFTER people started recieving their cards and mentioned WE was on the cards. That’s when HfP said they would contact Barclays and find out.

HfP DID promote it based (partly) on WE benefits quote:

– You receive Mastercard World Elite privileges (we’ll cover these in a few days)

from this article: https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/03/28/which-barclaycard-avios-mastercard-is-best/

but as far as I know they never followed it up.

JDB 4,333 posts

@tiriavpo if you have any experience at all of credit cards you presumably know that a) you can only rely on the terms you agree to when applying for the card not what you have read somewhere else or been told in the pub and b) that World Elite benefits on any UK card are worth nothing; I’m not sure what you were seriously expecting? I had hoped for a case of champagne every month and a new iPhone so I’m really disappointed.

It’s an unfortunate modern trend to seek to find someone to blame for everything, but a little personal responsibility never went amiss.

tiriavpo 312 posts

I don’t think I’m ‘blaming’ anyone for anything. It is just that HfP did say they would cover them later (whatever they are, I don’t care, thats not why I applied for the card) which I don’t think they have.

Ash 621 posts

After extensive testing I can confirm the Barclaycard World Elite does provide unfettered access to my lounge. I’ve walked in and out of the lounge several times with the card, and never had a problem. I’ve even been able to bring the dog with me.

The appletv+ is nice for a few months. Unfortunately for the Apple music and Apple news you need an iPhone or iPad.

Downgraded. Which weirdly was super easy. It’s like they want you do downgrade/leave hahaha

Do they swipe your card to get access to lounge? I still have my metal curve with world elite (and use the card daily) but downgraded back to ‘free’ curve. If they dont swipe i wonder if i can use it

Metal Curve comes with World Elite, cool, i didnt know that.

Alex G 435 posts

@tiriavpo World Elite benefits on any UK card are worth nothing

Well I used by Barclaycard Avios + card to get Avis President’s Club, and I got a good upgrade on my last rental with them.

Ash 621 posts

@tiriavpo World Elite benefits on any UK card are worth nothing

Well I used by Barclaycard Avios + card to get Avis President’s Club, and I got a good upgrade on my last rental with them.

Same here. And think there is another thread where you can use that to status match with a couple of the other car rental brands.

Ash 621 posts

Just to add hotels.com status matches Avis Presidents Club – hotels.com Gold status. Hfp covered it in an article year or so ago i believe.

Alex G 435 posts

Just to add hotels.com status matches Avis Presidents Club – hotels.com Gold status. Hfp covered it in an article year or so ago i believe.

Thanks Ash. Wasn’t aware of that!

Robs article here https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/09/19/status-match-avis-hotels-com/

Status match form here https://www.avispreferred-hotels.com/

tusker 2 posts

I thought I would go on to the Mastercard WE site (https://travel.mastercard.com/product/mastercard/homepage/gb/en-gb) and try and see if anything has changed. It appears not; when I put in the number of my Barclaycard replete with the ‘World Elite’ moniker, this comes up:
    Mastercard® Travel & Lifestyle Services
    Eligibility check
    We have been unable to verify your eligibility to access the Mastercard® Travel & Lifestyle Services
    Unfortunately, your card number is not valid for registration on the Mastercard® Travel & Lifestyle Services website.
    Please contact your bank who will be able to advise your eligibility status.
    Using the links provided above, I did successfully get the Avis upgrade, but the Hertz didn’t work, wanting me to input a 10 digit code to prove eligibility.
    I guess we are not going to get an explanation from anyone any time soon as to whether it was ever intended that the WE Barclayard would have any actual benefits. I guess most HfP followers gain more worthwhile status from alternative programmes.

Alex G 435 posts

Using the links provided above, I did successfully get the Avis upgrade, but the Hertz didn’t work, wanting me to input a 10 digit code to prove eligibility.

For anyone new to this, once you have got the Avis upgrade (President’s Club), you can status match to Hotels.com Gold.

See above for details.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.