Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios What are the Barclaycard Mastercard World Elite privileges?

• Aston100 1,385 posts

I complained to Barclaycard whose official response was “As this is a new product, we are unable to give any information on World Elite benefits at this time, but we hope to give more information in the near future”.

I’d take anything that Barclays CS say about this card with a pinch of salt.
    They aren’t very knowledgeable about the card.

chelynnah 41 posts

Pretty sure Barclaycard don’t know what the World Elite privileges entail and they don’t have a plan for them.

Which begs the question why did HfP repeatedly say they were going to explain those benefits. Let’s not forget HfP also said they had been heavily involved in the design of the product…if that’s the case, why don’t they know anything about the WE benefits?

Correction – HfP actually said they would try and get the info from Barclays and would update what they found out.

If there’s issues here it’s with Barclays and not HfP. I just don’t understand why everyone is trying to jump all over the people who promoted it (your choice to take it up) and not the company responsible.

At the end of the day HfP promoted a card that offered a set bonus and certain number of avios per £ spent. For those who applied and were accepted this is exactly what you’re getting. They did NOT promote it based on WE status. In fact the WE status was only brought up in comments AFTER people started recieving their cards and mentioned WE was on the cards. That’s when HfP said they would contact Barclays and find out.

JDB 4,335 posts

I complained to Barclaycard whose official response was “As this is a new product, we are unable to give any information on World Elite benefits at this time, but we hope to give more information in the near future”.

I’d take anything that Barclays CS say about this card with a pinch of salt.
    They aren’t very knowledgeable about the card.

I’m not sure why you need to contact Barclays CS to ascertain information about the card; it’s all there on the website and within the terms to which you agreed. If you are referring to information about downgrading that you have mentioned, it is clear that you are either eligible or not and this can be found only in the app, not via CS. Last month you said you spent ages chasing the monthly Avios sweep prematurely, the basis of which was clear and was in fact delivered as expected.

pablo 26 posts

Avis upped me to Presidents Club for having the card. You have to save the new card number in your Avis profile before applying. https://secure-one.avisworld.com/en_GB/Avis-Mastercard/AvisPreferred

harley 109 posts

I agree with JDB in some sense ( which is rare) , I think referring it to the FOS is a bit of an overkill. But I agree since the card clearly has the world elite logo on it then the benefits should be outlined. The ASA ( advertising standards) would be best to refer this to if you wanted to see why barcalycard were advertising this and yet dont seem to know what it is ( but for the matter of principle rather than compensation). As Aston states the agents really dont know what they are talking about and clearly the card was launched with very little training or FAQ documents for them to have- this is more an exec problem. My downgrade option finally appeared last week so i will be moving to the free card and will attempt to have as little contact with barcalycard staff as possible

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    jimmyk00 2 posts

Surely it’s a case of false advertising more than anything else. Barclaycard are issuing World Elite cards under license from Mastercard without making clear if, or when any benefits will be given. World Elite is a very specific subset of Mastercard and although benefits vary from issuer to issuer, there is a minimum expectation of some travel-linked benefits, such as insurance, lounge access or hotel status, especially considering the £20 monthly fee.

Barclaycard either need to remove their World Elite licensing/branding from Mastercard, or immediately confirm what extra benefits they will offer for the £20 per month.

Kazim 10 posts

Avis upped me to Presidents Club for having the card. You have to save the new card number in your Avis profile before applying. https://secure-one.avisworld.com/en_GB/Avis-Mastercard/AvisPreferred

Thanks for this- worked for me also! Upgraded to Presidents Club within 24 hours and the prices have fallen to match those on the BA car hire website. I still think the extra Avios will persuade me to book through BA rather then directly with Avis

jayjay 74 posts

That’s awesome – although I believe the upgrade will only last 12 months unless you fulfil the requirements for that tier. So best to upgrade when you need it.

ervo 3 posts

Whatever the arguments about complaints it is still bad form for HfP to trumpet the inclusion of MWE privileges and theh go very quiet when members ask what they amount. The words are clearly there on my flashy new card, but if that’s all I get kit’s pretty poor. Rob, please comment

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

If there benefits such as (guaranteed) lounge access, I would be far more likely to keep the card!

NunoBettencourtsPinky 107 posts

That’s awesome – although I believe the upgrade will only last 12 months unless you fulfil the requirements for that tier. So best to upgrade when you need it.

That’s not the case here. You have to “maintain” status if you earn it in the usual way via rentals. For complimentary status granted via credit cards etc, the status is permanent for as long as you hold the card (although its questionable that the rental companies are able to police this).

Ant68 56 posts

It would be helpful if anyone who finds a “privilege” would list it here (like pablo did re the Avis status), even if it’s not the full list.

Unless it’s been done elsewhere?

Steven 80 posts

I am going to hold off downgrading to the free card until I see what these are so hopefully Barclays can confirm to Rob in early course.

WillPS 194 posts

Surely it’s a case of false advertising more than anything else. Barclaycard are issuing World Elite cards under license from Mastercard without making clear if, or when any benefits will be given. World Elite is a very specific subset of Mastercard and although benefits vary from issuer to issuer, there is a minimum expectation of some travel-linked benefits, such as insurance, lounge access or hotel status, especially considering the £20 monthly fee.

Barclaycard either need to remove their World Elite licensing/branding from Mastercard, or immediately confirm what extra benefits they will offer for the £20 per month.

I don’t really see what the fee has to do with it at all. Amex Green has an annual fee of £60 despite not even offering a better earning rate than the fee-free Amex Rewards CC. In fact the only thing Green includes for that £60 over and above ARCC is Travel Inconvenience Cover.

Are you saying that I could apply for that card and then demand Amex offer me additional benefits which they’ve never mentioned?

The Barclaycard website justifies the £20/month as giving you a better welcome bonus, a better rate on purchases and an enhanced upgrade voucher for a certain level of spend.

Youllnever 182 posts

I don’t really see what the fee has to do with it at all. Amex Green has an annual fee of £60 despite not even offering a better earning rate than the fee-free Amex Rewards CC. In fact the only thing Green includes for that £60 over and above ARCC is Travel Inconvenience Cover.

You forgot extended warranty cover as well, which is unique to the green card and no other Amex has it.

Aston100 1,385 posts

There must have been a reason for sticking the words “World Elite” on my card.
    I’m just curious to know what those reasons are.
    Not a particularly important matter, especially compared to the other issues that this card has suffered from.
    Just curiosity.

Rui N. 828 posts

I am going to hold off downgrading to the free card until I see what these are so hopefully Barclays can confirm to Rob in early course.

It’s of course your money, but kind of an expensive bet to be spending £20 per month on something that will likely turn out to be a bunch of useless benefits.

duggie1982 261 posts

There must have been a reason for sticking the words “World Elite” on my card.
    I’m just curious to know what those reasons are.
    Not a particularly important matter, especially compared to the other issues that this card has suffered from.
    Just curiosity.

Never mind Willps comments. If you know world elite and what it can offer so taking out a £20pm card that should have it then actually thats the only point. Im sure people would have weighed up the worth of world elite for them based on maybe one they have with another provider

I have world elite on curve metal and only got avis presidential but that was about it

Steven 80 posts

You do get Lounge Key access with Curve metal but admittedly it’s not much of a benefit when you have to pay for lounge entry with it.

Ant68 56 posts

“You do get Lounge Key access with Curve metal but admittedly it’s not much of a benefit when you have to pay for lounge entry with it.”

Apologies, but I don’t understand if what you’re saying means this is a benefit from the Avios Plus card, which is what I was hoping to find on this thread. I posted above that it would be great if people could post any World Elite privileges associated with the avios cards, as and when they discover them, but I’ve googled “Curve metal” and I can’t see it mentioned as a World Elite benefit. Could you expand on it please? I’m finding these benefits very hard to understand.

Rui N. 828 posts

Curve Metal is a different card, which is also a World Elite MC.
    I think it’s quite clear by now that we don’t know what the benefits of this card are.

Steven 80 posts

“You do get Lounge Key access with Curve metal but admittedly it’s not much of a benefit when you have to pay for lounge entry with it.”

Apologies, but I don’t understand if what you’re saying means this is a benefit from the Avios Plus card, which is what I was hoping to find on this thread. I posted above that it would be great if people could post any World Elite privileges associated with the avios cards, as and when they discover them, but I’ve googled “Curve metal” and I can’t see it mentioned as a World Elite benefit. Could you expand on it please? I’m finding these benefits very hard to understand.

No, I was referring to Curve Metal. My comment was intended as a response to Duggie1982 in which he indicated that the only benefit he was aware of with Curve Metal was getting avis presidential. It was just to give an example of benefits other cards with World Elite offer.

As Rui N points out though, it is all just speculation until Barclays clarify what, if any, benefits come with the Avios Plus card. Seems bizarre a couple of months on from launch that they can’t provide an answer to what should be a simple query.

stevenhp1987 330 posts

No, I was referring to Curve Metal. My comment was intended as a response to Duggie1982 in which he indicated that the only benefit he was aware of with Curve Metal was getting avis presidential. It was just to give an example of benefits other cards with World Elite offer.

As Rui N points out though, it is all just speculation until Barclays clarify what, if any, benefits come with the Avios Plus card. Seems bizarre a couple of months on from launch that they can’t provide an answer to what should be a simple query.

Without any further announcement, I think it’s reasonable to assume the “benefits” are simply the 1.5 Avios per £ and the cabin upgrade voucher.

They’ve probably attached a high value to the cabin upgrade voucher to justify the World Elite status.

Ash 621 posts

After extensive testing I can confirm the Barclaycard World Elite does provide unfettered access to my lounge. I’ve walked in and out of the lounge several times with the card, and never had a problem. I’ve even been able to bring the dog with me.

The appletv+ is nice for a few months. Unfortunately for the Apple music and Apple news you need an iPhone or iPad.

Downgraded. Which weirdly was super easy. It’s like they want you do downgrade/leave hahaha

FatherOfFour 276 posts

After extensive testing I can confirm the Barclaycard World Elite does provide unfettered access to my lounge. I’ve walked in and out of the lounge several times with the card, and never had a problem. I’ve even been able to bring the dog with me.

The appletv+ is nice for a few months. Unfortunately for the Apple music and Apple news you need an iPhone or iPad.

Downgraded. Which weirdly was super easy. It’s like they want you do downgrade/leave hahaha

Apple music works nicely on my Android. The news and gaming, you are correct.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.