Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Paragliding in Turkey (Oludeniz)

• Travel Strong 261 posts

Any recommendations for slightly off season (next week, early april) paragliding in Oludeniz?

We had booked Gravity Paragliding, as my partner flew with them some years ago.

However despite agreeing a price, they have contacted me today on whatsapp and *doubled* the price with no rationale provided except that ‘the decision has been made to increase the price’.

This does not sit well with me, so considering options!

NorthernLass 7,612 posts

I can’t help with your query but do you need to add it as an extra to your travel insurance? It looked to be extremely popular when we were in Dubai and OH fancied having a go at a future date.

Travel Strong 261 posts

It differs by policy, but is often excluded. HSBC excludes it (not sure if there is an option to pay to extend it), Nationwide cover it and other activities for an additional £45.

I’m wondering what else to expect from Turkey.
    Expect the airbnb host will be demanding double the payment next!

memesweeper 1,258 posts

Inflation is 60%? Anything quoted in local currency is going to move frequently.

If anyone doubled the price in Euro I’d walk away.

Travel Strong 261 posts

They doubled the price in USD.

However I also can’t find a better deal elsewhere.

can2 469 posts

was the original quote in turkish lira? if so, I am not surprised. Despite the “official” inflation of 60%, the real inflation is much higher there. I feel like it is a country where every economical and political issue have an official and practical explanations, which are often very different from each other.

Travel Strong 261 posts

No. All agreed in USD. They state it is because of a ‘board decision due to high inflation’, but really I think they were not charging enough in the first place compared to the competition.

I’m not adverse to paying the new price.
    But I am hesitant to use the company, and may book for the same price via a new firm instead on principle.

can2 469 posts

well, it is odd…

I’d walk out of principle, too.

NorthernLass 7,612 posts

I wouldn’t be happy if the price went up AFTER booking, and I think I’d be leaving a review to that effect!

cin3 168 posts

There are lots of dodgy operations in Oludeniz. Take the cable car up and google the models of some of the tandem wings they are using. Many have 100s of hours in high-UV settings, haven’t have a line trim for years and are using ancient aerofoil technology.

You’ll get a better price just bargaining in person and there’s no need to book in advance. For a simple tandem the operation I recommend is Sky Sports. For CP course I don’t know but try for a BHPA instructor.

Also, the inflation is crazy at the moment and they have massively increased the prices on Babadag in general so it’s probably the correct price.

cin3 168 posts

Also many of the tandem pilots are excellent acro pilots. Let them know if you are interested and they can probably sort you out with a SAT or even maybe some infinity tumbles.

cin3 168 posts

Oh also if you want a slightly longer flight try to aim for a launch between 11:00 and 14:00 when the air is more thermic.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.