Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Do people think you get a bigger bonus if you pay annually – 50k? or less if you pay monthly – 35k?
    Or does it depend on spend?

Looks more like if you paid the full annual fee recently or had no retention bonus in last 12 months, you get 50k but otherwise 35k.

newel 28 posts

Both me and Player 2 took opportunity to upgrade from gold to platinum card when that offer was doing the rounds in the second half of last year. Both hit the spend target and have now used all the dining credits and other once a year benefits so planning on cancelling.

P2 used online messaging and was offered 50k pretty much instantly.

I was offered 35k on chat so tried my luck calling up and got through to the right team but they confirmed 35k was the best they could do.

Not sure what the difference is. Could be because P2 cancelled her BA Amex earlier in the year so is putting more through the Amex platinum than I have been recently as I still have my BA Amex. Or possibly just the fact that she only has 1 card with Amex whereas they can see even if I cancel the platinum card they’ll still keep me as a customer on a different card.

byt411 16 posts

50k via chat. Agent said it’d take anywhere from like 24 – 48 business days to get credited, does anyone know if this is actually the case?

Andrew J 769 posts

50k via chat. Agent said it’d take anywhere from like 24 – 48 business days to get credited, does anyone know if this is actually the case?

. It’s usually within a few hours or less.

S879 96 posts

What did you say on the chat?I find them quite to the point and agreeable to cancelling the card. Did you ask for the retention/cancellation team?

newel 28 posts

What did you say on the chat?I find them quite to the point and agreeable to cancelling the card. Did you ask for the retention/cancellation team?

I’ve found you can just be quite direct and say you are considering cancelling as you don’t see the benefits of the card anymore but that you may be open to staying if there are any retention/bonus offers available. I did that and found they were pretty quick to offer what they could (50k for P2 and 35k for me).

Jaspr 1 post

Just been offered 50K on chat. We have a free supplementary card but its never been used. Only got it for the additional lounge access. I might cheekily ask if theres any retention bonus on it.

sloth 315 posts

Just been offered 50K on chat. We have a free supplementary card but its never been used. Only got it for the additional lounge access. I might cheekily ask if theres any retention bonus on it.

Looking forward to JDB’s response to this one…

byt411 16 posts

I have an unresolved problem with them, so used the chance to complain. TL;DR I had a Gold Card but cancelled within 14 days, and was told I’d be eligible for signup bonuses as the cancellation was within the cool-off period. Got my platinum last year when they were running the 60k + 200GBP travel voucher promo. I was told I’d have to contact them to manually apply the bonus once I hit the target. They manually applied the points, but I never heard anything about the voucher. I’ve contacted them multiple times about this and they’ve sent me back and forth between Amex/Amex Travel support, but nobody seems to understand what’s going on.

I just used this as they said they’d get back to me within 14 business days but they didn’t, so I complained on chat, told them I wasn’t getting value, and asked for cancellation. They forwarded me to the cancellation team and immediately got the retention offer.

Also got 10k Avios for 3k spend within 3 months today for my BAPP card.

kebl2555 29 posts

When you refer to P2 is this as a separate main cardholder or supplementary on your card account?

I’ve found you can just be quite direct and say you are considering cancelling as you don’t see the benefits of the card anymore but that you may be open to staying if there are any retention/bonus offers available. I did that and found they were pretty quick to offer what they could (50k for P2 and 35k for me).

dst87 264 posts

I got 50k MR last year in June. Saw that the card fee hit today so thought I’d try again via live chat.

This time offered 35k MR, which I was happy to accept. Not quite as easy this time, asking what attracted me to that card etc. but still painless.

Curious that they put a monetary value on the points this time of £157, which I don’t remember seeing last year.

Andrew J 769 posts

I got 50k MR last year in June. Saw that the card fee hit today so thought I’d try again via live chat.

This time offered 35k MR, which I was happy to accept. Not quite as easy this time, asking what attracted me to that card etc. but still painless.

Curious that they put a monetary value on the points this time of £157, which I don’t remember seeing last year.

That’s their £4.50/1000 points statement credit rate – so you can apply the 35k as a statement credit for £157.50 if you wanted to.

o2diy 3 posts

Another 35k here. They Tried the long chat but I just cut to the chase went though to retention team and asked for an offer after refusing to me reminded of the plat benefits!

xefo 47 posts

No retention offer. Have had the card since October, approx. £10k spend put through on it and used most of the benefits.

ben1 21 posts

Got 50k bonus applied to my account just now. Last one was in May and was 75k

cjkeating 6 posts

Question… when you are asking about retention bonuses or asking to cancel is your balance clear on your card? I’m at the stage when I think it’s worth trying to get one but not sure if having a clear balance or not makes any difference?

Simey 134 posts

When do you ask for such offers? About the time when your yearly anniversaries are about to be up?

baec_newbie 87 posts

When is the earliest that anyone has got a retention offer (into holding a particular card)?

jotaele 18 posts

Gave it a try this morning with this result:

“We sincerely appreciate your membership with us and I wish I could offer you any offer. However, at this time, there is no provision for a discount on Annual Fee or to offset it with Membership Reward points, I’m afraid.”

Erico1875 143 posts

Tried and failed. No retention bonus available,Only had card for 5 months, could that be a factor?

Aston100 1,383 posts

Tried and failed. No retention bonus available,Only had card for 5 months, could that be a factor?

Who knows. Player 2 had a retention offer after only 2 months.

MCO 73 posts

Tried via chat 2 months back and was refused despite having card for 3 years and the last bonus being over a year ago. Too early to call up and try?

Luca M 391 posts

Just been offered 50K on chat. We have a free supplementary card but it’s never been used. Only got it for the additional lounge access. I might cheekily ask if theres any retention bonus on it.

whilst I am all for extra points but as you stated it is a FREE card that you can cancel and request again for someone else at any point, what retention awards would they offer you for it???? BTW for straight conversation I have had with Brighton on the subject, it looks like they can immediately see when you were offered a last retention bonus and they are becoming more strict to one offered per year, which others have noted is likely to be 50k if early on in the year after having paid the fee and around 35k if closer to the end of the year.

SteveCroydon 66 posts

Renewal of Platinum card just been billed for £575, but not paid yet.
    I’ve just tried chat – sorry we can’t do a downgrade or cancellation, please phone us.
    Phoned them and got an “offshore agent”. No questions as to why I wanted to cancel and downgrade to the free basic MR card. Account reviewed and “we can do that now on the phone”. No attempt to ascertain why or any offer.
    The line was bad, so I said I’d call in again.
    I’ve been a member since 2001 and previously in 1980’s. I had BAPP for 15+ years, but now have the basic BA AX card, which is not used.
    No debts or late payments. Plenty of premium international travel washing through the PLAX card.
    All very strange. Where’s my 35/50k MR points offer?

Carlos 758 posts

Renewal of Platinum card just been billed for £575, but not paid yet.
    I’ve just tried chat – sorry we can’t do a downgrade or cancellation, please phone us.
    Phoned them and got an “offshore agent”. No questions as to why I wanted to cancel and downgrade to the free basic MR card. Account reviewed and “we can do that now on the phone”. No attempt to ascertain why or any offer.
    The line was bad, so I said I’d call in again.
    I’ve been a member since 2001 and previously in 1980’s. I had BAPP for 15+ years, but now have the basic BA AX card, which is not used.
    No debts or late payments. Plenty of premium international travel washing through the PLAX card.
    All very strange. Where’s my 35/50k MR points offer?

HUATA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.