Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• TeesTraveller 3 posts

I decided to cancel my UK Platinum card as I don’t travel so much with work anymore and as I live in the North East, a lot of the London centric benefits do not work for me. So I made sure I redeemed the dining credit and Harvey Nicks free £50 before calling Amex to cancel. I was offered 35,000 MR points or a downgrade to Amex Gold which would free for a year and I would get a pro-rata platinum fee refund.

Took the 35,000 points – I was told that they will not be taken back if I cancel in a couple of months so I will be calling them in July… The agent implied that I would be able to downgrade to Gold at that point but let’s see.

Cornell 8 posts

Got the card exactly a year ago, asked for a retention offer now that the new annual fee has posted and was offered 50,000 MR points – accepted.

ringingup 176 posts

I called today – I was offered 35,000 which is lower than the 50,000 I was offered in previous years.

ollyloosemore 6 posts

I did live chat today and was offer 50,000 – no requirements

Mankhool 32 posts

I was offered 35k in the chat , do the points take 24-48 hrs to show up on the account. Its been just over 2 hrs still not showing on the account.

Cornell 8 posts

I was offered 35k in the chat , do the points take 24-48 hrs to show up on the account. Its been just over 2 hrs still not showing on the account.

It did take ~48hrs for me before they posted

RK228 198 posts

I was offered 35k in the chat , do the points take 24-48 hrs to show up on the account. It’s been just over 2 hrs still not showing on the account.

Yes, wife was offered 35,000 points yesterday afternoon and they were allocated to her account this afternoon. I think the chat agent said it would take 24-48 hours to show too.

windym 20 posts

Membership up in November. Live chat today offered 35k which I accepted. Again no requirement to stay etc but that in my opinion is good value (although 50k would have been better)

tbtb31 75 posts

Does Amex ever offer a retention bonus to supplemental cardholders to retain them (as supplemental cardholders)?

jagsingh 5 posts

Did a live chat and was offered 50k

travelwell 50 posts

At what point in the membership year do you ask for a retention offer? Just before or after the fee has gone through?

jagsingh 5 posts

At what point in the membership year do you ask for a retention offer? Just before or after the fee has gone through?

I am about 9 months from account opening

windym 20 posts

I’m 7 months into my card. The 35k they promised 4 days ago hasn’t appeared yet so I may have to chase them up.

highnal 19 posts

Last retention offer 35k in Oct 2022.
    Annual fee renewed in Feb 2023.

Called today to see what was available:
    1) Switch to monthly payments
    2) Switch to Gold
    3) Switch to Green
    No points offer.

I declined all three.

JDB 4,333 posts

2) Switch to Gold
    3) Switch to Green
    No points offer.

I declined all three.

Therein lies Amex’s problem – they offered you a bribe of 35k MR around eight months ago and you’re already expecting another! It will be interesting to see how they wean people off what cannot be a sustainable system exacerbated by people advertising the inducements received.

RobL 72 posts

2) Switch to Gold
    3) Switch to Green
    No points offer.

I declined all three.

Call again in October.

yorkshireRich 185 posts

I read this thread this morning and after having the platinum card for probably for around 10 months now l (albeit not using it too much), I thought I would give it a go.
    I was thanked for been a loyal customer and asked if I would like to be put through to another agent before I cancelled. I wasn’t expecting too much but got offered the 35K the majority on here have been offered.

This suits me well as I genuinely did want to keep the card into 2024. I will however be cancelling the BAPP next week regardless of what they do offer me, despite them no doubt telling me that they will be taking my companion voucher from me. The strategy eventually will be to refer the wife to have the platinum and I will be Amex free for 24 months.

GJS 28 posts

Out of interest, has anyone paying the fee monthly been offered a retention bonus?

currybelly 1 post

Platinum Card up for renewal in 2 days. Have spent heavily on this for the past year and enjoyed many of the benefits, so was disappointed with the retention offer of…

1st offer- The gold card can be switch to the monthly fees 160GBP / equally in 12 months.
    2nd offer- If you move to the monthly fees or keep the gold card. I will add the above incentive offer of 5k points.
    3rd offer: The gold card be downgraded to the Green charge card with annual fees of 60GBP.

I replied, let me review those for a few minutes. Clearly the wrong retention offer as I don’t even have a Gold card 🙂

Before responding I had the 50k MR offer presented to me.

Pleased I came across this thread this evening.

Bella Ciao 22 posts

I have had a personal Platinum card since 2021 and have been offered only one retention bonus of 35k sometime in early 2022, which was for card membership year 2021-22.

However, for card membership year 2022-23, I have not been offered a retention bonus. I have tried 2-3 times over the past one year, but was always offered a downgrade to Gold each time. I would like to believe I am a fairly decent spender on my Platinum card which is my main Amex card as my monthly Amex bill is usually £2-3k. I have also made some big ticket purchases on my Platinum last year like buying a car and a cash business class ticket to Australia over Christmas.

I understand the retention bonus is not a norm but rather an incentive to help you keep the card. My annual fee is coming up next month, and was really hoping for a retention bonus. With all the posts on this thread about retention bonuses, I was hoping to get one too, but alas no luck here! Is there a reason why I am not being offered a retention bonus for this membership year? If not, I would rather suck up and pay the fee for next year.

points_worrier 292 posts

What is the shortest anyone has held a plat card, and still been offered a retention bonus?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

What is the shortest anyone has held a plat card, and still been offered a retention bonus?

It looks like it’s 35k if requested within 6 months, 50k after 6 months and none if you had a retention bonus in the past 12 months.

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

It looks like it’s 35k if requested within 6 months, 50k after 6 months and none if you had a retention bonus in the past 12 months.

Sorry, I just reported this post by accident! Is there a way I can take that back?

travelwell 50 posts

50k points offered, one month away from renewal

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

I requested after just under 6 months, got nothing. After just under 12 months, I got 35k.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.