Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes SQ Singapore Airlines miles expiring – what to do?

• tom1 63 posts

I have about 30k miles expiring in March. (I don’t think these are getting extended from what I can tell)

Pretty sure I can use the miles to make a booking pre-March for travel later in the year. But does anyone know what would happen to the miles should I cancel that redemption flight after the original expiration date? Naturally I’m not overly confident in travel plans just yet.

Or any other ways to extend miles without paying the sq fee?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    wsy 13 posts

If your miles are expiring in March 2022 they should be (just about) eligible for one more extension: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/gb/ppsclub-krisflyer/latestnews/2020renewal-kf/

Otherwise, not sure about cancelling a redemption flight and getting back miles, but if you cancel a redemption they also give you the option to keep it as an open ticket for a later date. Note that if you ask for a miles refund there’s an admin charge for re-crediting it to your krisflyer account.

tom1 63 posts

Ok thanks – I misread the articles – so yes looks like I’ll get a 6 month extension.

Anyone know what happens if you book and reward flight with points that are expiring, and then cancel the flight after the points have expired? Do they expire too?

I’m not seeing this as a way to extend miles – but genuinely difficult to commit to travel plans rn.

marks7389 425 posts

Ok thanks – I misread the articles – so yes looks like I’ll get a 6 month extension.

Anyone know what happens if you book and reward flight with points that are expiring, and then cancel the flight after the points have expired? Do they expire too?

I’m not seeing this as a way to extend miles – but genuinely difficult to commit to travel plans rn.

Yes, if they’ve expired you don’t get them back.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

SIA are extending all miles expiring throughout 2022 by an additional 6 months now 👍

SamG 1,644 posts

SIA are extending all miles expiring throughout 2022 by an additional 6 months now 👍

It’s actually slightly more complex (in a typically Singaporean way 🙂 !) you’ll potentially get another 12 months. Mine expire April 30, they’ll extend to Oct 31st and then again to April 2023. But great news as it was proving sub optimal to need to try use them early next year

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.