Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The British Airways Prepaid Mastercard thread

• xenole 30 posts

It seems that this year so far, it’s a case of the app that let’s you top up etc. works for 1 day, down for 2-3 days. 3rd time already I’m getting “bad gateway” etc. errors after being logged out

Ash 621 posts

The best thing about this card was the cancellation….only 3min on hold, 56sec later , cancelled! Will never go back…well,maybe if they add a zero on the welcome offer haha

Bristol_Traveller 2 posts

Worth noting that they fixed the problem with not being able to activate a replacement card for those that expired in December 2022, and introduced a new problem- not being able to “top up” the card full stop. Its been like this for the best part of a week now. A message appears when you log into their app. It is truly unbelievable – I’ve got a couple of hundred Euro on mine, which I’ll spend next week then close the thing down. The general idea of the card is good in principle but executed so poorly by whoever they’ve outsourced the running and servicing of it too.

Alex G 435 posts

@B

Worth noting that they fixed the problem with not being able to activate a replacement card for those that expired in December 2022, and introduced a new problem- not being able to “top up” the card full stop. Its been like this for the best part of a week now. A message appears when you log into their app. It is truly unbelievable – I’ve got a couple of hundred Euro on mine, which I’ll spend next week then close the thing down. The general idea of the card is good in principle but executed so poorly by whoever they’ve outsourced the running and servicing of it too.

Thanks for posting. Thought it was just me that couldn’t top up!

Awful app but I’m sticking with it. 1300 Av a month for £2.99 is worth having.

Mikeact 232 posts

Totally amazing….you do the right thing….signed up early last August….quoted the HFP2022 promo code….spent way over the minimum spend (£500)……and to date ? Nothing. No sign whatsoever of the 3000 Avios….however Avios have posted for my regular spend.
    Card now expired (12/22)….replacement supposedly on its way.

Carlos 758 posts

Ah yes, this useless card – reminds me to cancel it to avoid the monthly fee.. poor offering

Stu 38 posts

It’d be very interesting to know what referral kickback HfP got on this, considering they’ve now gone quieter than Buckingham Palace on ‘Spare’ … 🙄

Adder 21 posts

Also missing both sets of sign up bonus (1500 + HFP 1500). Called 02031460748 to chase and the helpful lady proactively asked if I was calling about the missing bonuses. She said there was a “file of accounts to be looked at” and added my account to the list, supposedly 30 days to resolve but I’m not holding out much hope…

Carlos 758 posts

Just before I cancel I thought I’d log into the app and remembered there was a replacement card in the mail. I have that to hand however the app doesnt even work! It simply says you cannot use the Mastercard features at the moment, anyone else have this problem? The CS number says there are technical issues

Alex G 435 posts

The app works, but it’s not been possible to top up the card for more than a week now.

You can see transactions, unlink your top up card, or activate your new card.

Bill 169 posts

I’ve cancelled

Broombrush 7 posts

Have been trying to top up my card for five days with no joy. Spoke to call centre took – 40 mins to get thru at 8AM> The rep said they had been advised there was an ongoing technical problem effecting all cards and they had no idea when it might be fixed.

Carlos 758 posts

Have been trying to top up my card for five days with no joy. Spoke to call centre took – 40 mins to get thru at 8AM> The rep said they had been advised there was an ongoing technical problem effecting all cards and they had no idea when it might be fixed.

They said it was fixed for Androids but not iOS – can anyone validate?

Alex G 435 posts

Currently not fixed for anyone. There is a new message in the app saying they are working on it.

supergraeme 128 posts

Today was my 30th day after grumbling about lack of Avios….. nothing.

cska 55 posts

Finally got credited the 3000 avios for the offer on mine and P2’s account after months of chasing. Completely unacceptable service and I certainly will think twice if an offer comes around like this again.

sapphire21 6 posts

I lost connection to my card back on NYE when I just get a screen with “You cannot use Mastercard features at the moment” When I contacted them they denied they had a problem and blamed my iPhone/iPad!! Then said it would be sorted out in 48 hours maximum!! Here we are 22 days later and still the same screen. However in the meantime I have had to close the card in order to retrieve my money but they kindly waived the transfer fee of £5 to return it to my bank!!!! 😡 Are they for real? They did I could reopen my account but that doesn’t look like it would be likely if I even wanted to!!
    My husband doesn’t get that message but like many others – he can’t put money in, though interestly it took the 1p when he added new card bank details. 😳
    Who are the people running this card? They clearly have no technology skills and don’t reply when you complain and want to charge you to get your own money back when their systems fail!! How long is this debacle going to continue?

Skywalker 697 posts

They’ve now suspended applications on the BA prepaid Mastercard, so thankfully no others have to deal with the many problems of this product!

Carlos 758 posts

Alarm bells were already ringing when they sent out cards with a c6m expiry (or all until Dec) but intend on charging monthly. This prepaid thing is in shambles

mzb 64 posts

3000 Avios finally credited on Friday (Jan 20), after raising the issue 2 months ago.
    Quick (to my surprise) call on Saturday afternoon and card now cancelled. This product was a complete waste of time.

Alex G 435 posts

I’m happy with the 9000 Avios I have had from the card, sign up bonus and usage.

I’m suspicious about the changes they are currently making. Although they have had genuine IT problems with activating cards and issuing codes for online spending, top ups always worked fine until about two weeks ago. I suspect they have effectively suspended use of the card while they evaluate its profitability and future.

milesandmordor 10 posts

I never got the 3000 Avios either , despite several emails ( impossible to contact via chat or phone.) Couldn’t see any point in paying £2.99 for it . so eventually gave up and cancelled the card today after waiting 45 minutes on the phone. They didn’t even ask why I was cancelling the card – just seemed more than happy to do it. The whole BA Prepaid card “journey” has just been a frustrating and pointless (in more than one way) experience. BA in a nutshell , I suppose.

Alex G 435 posts

Email received this morning:-

“We’re making some necessary technical improvements to our British Airways Prepaid Mastercard service, which means that you’re currently unable to add funds to your card. We’re working hard to complete these updates and make the top-up function available again as quickly as possible.

As an apology, we’ll be waiving your monthly fee of £2.99, starting from February 2023 until May 2023. The British Airways Prepaid Mastercard is fee free for the first 6 months from the initial activation of your card, so if haven’t paid for your fee yet, this will also be waived until May 2023.

If you require any further assistance, please contact our British Airways Prepaid Mastercard Customer Service over webchat by selecting ‘Chat with us’ from the menu of your British Airways Executive Club Rewards app.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and we thank you for your patience.”

Alex G 435 posts

Top ups now working again.

Download the latest version of the app.

davidbutcher 25 posts

Top up still not working for me

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.