Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice TWA hotel – JFK

• toddy 113 posts

This hotel looks like paradise for an AV geek who needs an overnight stopover at JFK.

I’m currently considering it but the reviews are very mixed and at $500 a night, it isn’t cheap!

Anyone stayed here before?

Roberto 281 posts

Booked a runway King at $300 plus the taxes for a stopover in June. No deals available anywhere and I checked back to Black Friday. Prices seemed to be rising so I booked a cancellable room and hope to have a great afternoon/morning geeking at the view.

Andrew J 769 posts

Stayed a couple of times and it’s fabulous – especially the rooftop pool which is basically a giant hot tub in the winter so very useable all year. Prices aren’t cheap but it’s a great experience for one night, and also super convenient – especially after a boozy flight in F over from LHR, you can just drop into bed rather than travel into the city.

Andrew J 769 posts

Booked a runway King at $300 plus the taxes for a stopover in June. No deals available anywhere and I checked back to Black Friday. Prices seemed to be rising so I booked a cancellable room and hope to have a great afternoon/morning geeking at the view.

I’ve had rooms with the runway view and the “Historic View” (ie over looking the iconic part of the terminal) and I actually prefer the latter – the runway view is more of a taxi way view/cars dropping people off view and not overly special than what you get at say the T4 hotels at LHR. The roof also gives very good views of the taxiway and gates, so you can go up there to spectate.

toddy 113 posts

I’d be happy to pay $300 but this room is $500 for my stay (10 months in advance!)

Based on Andrew’s comments, I might book the cheaper “historic view” room.

Appreciate the comments everyone

Mirp 41 posts

I stayed the year the TWA first opened with my aviation crazy child and it was great. In August 2021 I thought about booking a room but the room rates were high ($300ish) and they were charging $50 pp to use the pool which was the best part of the hotel and it had to be for the day you check in not the day you checked out. What a faff. Anyway we ended up spending a couple of hours there between flights and the hotel had not been well maintained. Dirty carpets. Empty food containers left on tables. Very little staff serving or cleaning. Still an Instangrammers mecca with several people doing photo shoots in addition to a wedding which had actually hired the venue. Unless you have an early morning flight I would chose another hotel.

njb 65 posts

I hated it – but mainly because we stayed there wanting a hotel – and not an experience. Early flight to LAX.

Rooftop pool is an instagrammers paradise and any drink/food was way too expensive.

Believe the reviews re carpeted floors and luggage on wheels ( not a good mix)/size of rooms/facilities in rooms/check in experience.

Its an awful hotel – but it is walkable to terminals and quirky.

Andrew J 769 posts

I hated it – but mainly because we stayed there wanting a hotel – and not an experience. Early flight to LAX.

Rooftop pool is an instagrammers paradise and any drink/food was way too expensive.

Believe the reviews re carpeted floors and luggage on wheels ( not a good mix)/size of rooms/facilities in rooms/check in experience.

Disagree – was one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in. Although the very plush carpets I agree aren’t great for wheeling luggage.

njb 65 posts

Disagree – was one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in. Although the very plush carpets I agree aren’t great for wheeling luggage.

Horses for courses 🙂 Each to his own …. I never travelled TWA or used the old terminal.
    For an early morning JFK flight I would stay there again at the $200 max price point. In fact they offered me a friends and family rate for my Jan stay based on my previous awful experience. Still wasn’t tempted – I think it is a been there/done that type of property.
    I suck up an earlier start and travel in from Manhattan.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Sam Chui did a review a year or two ago.
    Even he said the f&b was pricey, and that’s something given how much of a paid shill he tends to be.

toddy 113 posts

Thanks all.

I have opted for the Crowne Plaza for 36k points.

If the TWA drops to $300, I will book but no way am I paying $500-600

tiriavpo 312 posts

Glad I stayed (pre-covid so no rooftop access issues etc) but wouldn’t bother again. It IS convenient, and iconic, and an av-geek tick, but very pricey and everything now seems to be at additional cost.

It is worth visiting though if you have time as you can (could, pre-covid) see most of the iconic parts as a non-resident.

I will be interested in your view of the Crowne Plaza as we currently have a night booked in the Hilton up the road.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.