Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Upgrade Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card to Platinum

• BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Thanjs @BBB, I have nit got round to the main article yet, still trying to decide as time is not the best but I doubt the offer will ever be bettered.

I travel abroad soon, so needed both travel insurance and dining credits.

BJ 657 posts

I will see if I get an unexpected Gold SUB tracker first and then decide. If I do, I’ll take benefits of Gold now and hope for the best on a decent upgrade offer next year.

Gothbe 47 posts

My mum has had the gold card for about 5 months. She has never had the platinum card and has no other Amex cards. When she clicks on the upgrade link and logs in, this message is shown – “ We’re sorry. You do not have a card eligible for this offer” and says that if she has questions or concerns she should ring 08009178050.
    Has Anyone had any joy in getting the offer to work by ringing?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Amex CS confirmed points will be awarded for upgrade even if tracker is not available.

Waiting for Carlos to confirm points credit – hoping its just a delay.

Carlos 758 posts

Amex CS confirmed points will be awarded for upgrade even if tracker is not available.

Waiting for Carlos to confirm points credit – hoping its just a delay.

I checked with CS on live chat, they calculated the recent spend as £40 short, so hopefully the pending transactions will clear and it will hit, will report back @BuildBackBetter

Vit 158 posts

Hi all, sorry maybe a bit late to the party — but both mine and my partner Gold cards exceeds the £10k spend. My anniversary year is Feb 2023, my partner’s is Oct 2022. Can anyone advise that we both will get the 10k MR point bonus on / just after 12th October 2022 or will I have to wait till Feb 2023?

My understanding is if we upgrade our gold cards to Platinum now, we would lost the 10k MR point bonus?

Aston100 1,385 posts

Anyone got a gut feel if this upgrade offer will be removed before the first lot of MR payouts in October?
    I’m tempted to just go ahead and upgrade now and forego potentially 5k MR in October.

BJ 657 posts

Hi all, sorry maybe a bit late to the party — but both mine and my partner Gold cards exceeds the £10k spend. My anniversary year is Feb 2023, my partner’s is Oct 2022. Can anyone advise that we both will get the 10k MR point bonus on / just after 12th October 2022 or will I have to wait till Feb 2023?

My understanding is if we upgrade our gold cards to Platinum now, we would lost the 10k MR point bonus?

Yes, you will lose them if you upgrade before 12 October, But if you wait and amex reduces the upgrade offer from say 40k to 20k which has been the norm on charge then you have lost out. Betting time…

Kuestrian 56 posts

I’m looking to put some flights through on my PRG, prior to upgrading to Plat before the trip.

Would the Plat travel insurance still apply, as I believe it’s still the same account and card number?

Carlos 758 posts

I’m looking to put some flights through on my PRG, prior to upgrading to Plat before the trip.

Would the Plat travel insurance still apply, as I believe it’s still the same account and card number?

No I called them for the same reason, some of the benefits wont apply.

Kuestrian 56 posts

Ok, that may make the ‘should I risk the 60K offer disappearing by Oct’ decision a lot easier in that case!

Thanks for confirming.

Kuestrian 56 posts

Ok, that may make the ‘should I risk the 60K offer disappearing by Oct’ decision a lot easier in that case!

Thanks for confirming.

40K, even.

Carlos 758 posts

Thanks for confirming.

Upgrade first, then book your flight, its much easier that way

DonLee 213 posts

@Carlos any update on your bonus points? Thanks

Aston100 1,385 posts

Is anyone else still struggling to upgrade a PRG when they also have an ARCC on their online account? i.e. it tries to upgrade the ARCC instead of the PRG?

Skywalker 693 posts

Is anyone else still struggling to upgrade a PRG when they also have an ARCC on their online account? i.e. it tries to upgrade the ARCC instead of the PRG?

I think a good few are going through this same problem. Can’t work out if it’s a glitch or by design. Just seems odd that any ARCC would upgrade, given there is no mention of it in the offer text

Comrade Chag 79 posts

Page updated.

Offer ends 11 October 2022.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Page updated.

Offer ends 11 October 2022.

Oh dear. Not good. Was hoping player 2 will get more time to upgrade.
    I guess it could revert to 20k like the charge card upgrade.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

It will come back.

I expect a lot of people will bite now because of FOMO though.

Thrillington 40 posts

Unsurprising – stops us ‘double dipping’ by upgrading straight after we get the new Gold spending bonus points on Oct 12th.

Vit 158 posts

Yes, I just got the “invite” through the post as well. Was hoping to upgrade in early December before heading off to Thailand. Need to sit down and crunch some numbers now as both of us should receive the 10k MR bonus in October. But this is 80k for both.

Carlos 758 posts

Wrong topic

degsy 148 posts

Still showing as ‘no eligible cards’ when I try applying even though I’ve got the PRG CC (held for almost a year).
    Looking forward to hopefully hearing confirmation from @Carlos that he’s received the bonus with upgrading ARCC

Josh 20 posts

Dunno if its been mentioned but they appear to be pushing this out to people now, I got a pack through the post advertising the upgrade.

RebeccaLondon 43 posts

My membership year on my gold card ends on 18 September. I’ve had the letter through saying I have until 12 October to upgrade which I’m keen to do.
    Is it worth speaking to customer services about the 10k points and seeing if they can expedite the posting? Waiting 30 days will take me over the deadline.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.