Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Upgrade Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card to Platinum

• Aston100 1,383 posts

Is it worth speaking to customer services about the 10k points and seeing if they can expedite the posting?

No chance.

Skywalker 699 posts

Still showing as ‘no eligible cards’ when I try applying even though I’ve got the PRG CC (held for almost a year).
    Looking forward to hopefully hearing confirmation from @Carlos that he’s received the bonus with upgrading ARCC

Any news on this @Carlos?

Carlos 758 posts

@Skywalker Finally came through

Aston100 1,383 posts

Woah woah… just checking: you have a PRG and an ARCC; you clicked the link to upgrade from PRG to Platinum CC, but it thought you wanted to upgrade the ARCC; you went ahead anyway and upgraded the ARCC; you hit the qualifying spend and received 40k MR?

Is that right?

PaulB 23 posts

Anyone know if foreign spend is permitted to contribute to the required £4k spend for the upgrade bonus? I guess few will have tangible experience of exactly this but presume it’s the same as for regular sign up bonuses.

Skywalker 699 posts

Wow 😮

Did you have to chase? Or did it just apply to your account after making the required spend?

Carlos 758 posts

Wow 😮

Did you have to chase? Or did it just apply to your account after making the required spend?

After a call to CS

Anyone know if foreign spend is permitted to contribute to the required £4k spend for the upgrade bonus? I guess few will have tangible experience of exactly this but presume it’s the same as for regular sign up bonuses.

Any charges to the balance will count

DonLee 214 posts

Thanks @Carlos. I may take the chance upgrade my ARCC now as it was the only card showing eligible to upgrade

VinZ 142 posts

Still showing as ‘no eligible cards’ when I try applying even though I’ve got the PRG CC (held for almost a year).
    Looking forward to hopefully hearing confirmation from @Carlos that he’s received the bonus with upgrading ARCC

I tried to do the same and I get the same message. When I called CS I was told that you need to be targeted for the offer…

JS 10 posts

Tried on 7 of my gold accounts and all are not targeted

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Tried on 7 of my gold accounts and all are not targeted

Have you tried using the HfP link?

LukeLukeLukeLuke 23 posts

I only have the ARCC (used to have the PRGCC, but I downgraded it a few months ago, even though the Deliveroo offer still shows up for me) but it is allowing me to go through the Amex Platinum upgrade using that link.

Will I actually get the 40,000 MR points if I upgrade from the ARCC as it is currently the only card on my account? Genuinely want The Platinum Card (currently going through an application on Partner’s account, but Amex systems are being awkward and rejecting) and have a few big spends to do in the next few weeks (i.e. I’ll probably do the £4K spend within a couple of weeks).

Sprout 31 posts

Apologies, I’m just catching up with this thread.
    I currently have the arcc which I am holding to protect a significant balance of reward points.
    Is there any risk to this balance if I attempt to upgrade to platinum?
    I was going to apply separately for the card as I want to utilise the benefits on some upcoming trips (I’m not eligible for any sign up bonuses) but definitely don’t want to risk wiping out my balance.
    Would it also be possible to subsequently downgrade to the arcc and maintain the balance?
    Thanks

Aston100 1,383 posts

None at all, according to a couple of Amex CS people in Brighton last week.

Skywalker 699 posts

Apologies, I’m just catching up with this thread.
    I currently have the arcc which I am holding to protect a significant balance of reward points.

Everything stays the same, except you get a platinum account and shiny new card – I had all of 600 MR in my account as the card was gathering dust due to other cards being more useful to me – but when I upgraded from ARCC to platinum, those 600 MR points were faithfully waiting for me for me to finally build upon them

I was going to apply separately for the card as I want to utilise the benefits on some upcoming trips (I’m not eligible for any sign up bonuses) but definitely don’t want to risk wiping out my balance.

@Carlos above seems to have achieved the 40k, so doing it this way may get you the upgrade bonus.

Would it also be possible to subsequently downgrade to the arcc and maintain the balance?
    Thanks[/quote]

I guess that would work the same as any other account so a downgrade is possible

Skywalker 699 posts

I only have the ARCC (used to have the PRGCC, but I downgraded it a few months ago, even though the Deliveroo offer still shows up for me) but it is allowing me to go through the Amex Platinum upgrade using that link.

Will I actually get the 40,000 MR points if I upgrade from the ARCC as it is currently the only card on my account? Genuinely want The Platinum Card (currently going through an application on Partner’s account, but Amex systems are being awkward and rejecting) and have a few big spends to do in the next few weeks (i.e. I’ll probably do the £4K spend within a couple of weeks).

Seems so – but if you genuinely want the card anyway, the 40K will be the cherry on top. And this may be a less painful way to to get a card – in my experience of upgrading, my credit file wasn’t even sniffed at – but things may be different in each case however

Seems so – but if you genuinely want the card anyway, the 40K will be the cherry on top. And this may be a less painful way to to get a card – in my experience of upgrading, my credit file wasn’t even sniffed at – but things may be different in each case however

Indeed. I may give it a try depending on how P2’s (manually tweaked) application goes over the next few days. (un)luckily, we could probably hit the spending bonus on both, so that may be an option. Albeit perhaps wasteful to have two Platinums at the same time.

Yes, the 40K points is definitely a cherry on top. But it’s also a big factor in persuading me that the other rewards are worth it too. 40K points makes the card not too for from free value, which does indeed make the other factors genuine perks.

Skywalker 699 posts

Indeed. I may give it a try depending on how P2’s (manually tweaked) application goes over the next few days. (un)luckily, we could probably hit the spending bonus on both, so that may be an option. Albeit perhaps wasteful to have two Platinums at the same time.

Yes, the 40K points is definitely a cherry on top. But it’s also a big factor in persuading me that the other rewards are worth it too. 40K points makes the card not too for from free value, which does indeed make the other factors genuine perks.

@LukeLukeLukeLuke and @Skywalker – just noticed this 😀
    Good luck with P2’s application 🙂

lilyjaneee 6 posts

I just upgraded my gold card to the platinum card (even got something in the post targeting me to upgrade) – however, I don’t have a progress bar showing up in my app. Does that mean I’m not eligible for the bonus points?!

@LukeLukeLukeLuke and @Skywalker – just noticed this 😀
    Good luck with P2’s application 🙂

Haha! Good spot! Now, where’s my father…

ekposh 189 posts

I know this is a bit “unethical” but hear me out. I am due to get 10k points on my gold due to spend.

Could I wait for this to post, then go to cancel my gold and hope to get a retention bonus of between 10-20k, then hope for an upgrade offer next year and do that? Also, could you confirm more broadly if I did upgrade mid year (offer or not), am I to assume my Gold fee will be refunded pro-rata and/or put towards my Platinum fee? I value the benefits but frankly won’t need them until 2023, so see no point in upgrading now (except maybe the 40k bonus will never come back…).

Rui N. 831 posts

Yes to all of that. You can cancel the day after receiving the retaining bonus. They refund the fee prorata when you upgrade then charge full Plat. fee.

barracuda 31 posts

I may be missing something obvious or misunderstood – but can’t seem to see on the app or website when logged in the upgrade card to platinum with offers?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I just upgraded my gold card to the platinum card (even got something in the post targeting me to upgrade) – however, I don’t have a progress bar showing up in my app. Does that mean I’m not eligible for the bonus points?!

There is no tracker, but you’ll receive the upgrade bonus if you are eligible. Speak to them a week after you spend 4k.

Skywalker 699 posts

I may be missing something obvious or misunderstood – but can’t seem to see on the app or website when logged in the upgrade card to platinum with offers?

https://www.americanexpress.com/amex/en-gb/benefits/upgrade/platinum/ – is this what you’re after?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.