Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Upgrade Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card to Platinum

• BuildBackBetter 705 posts

although this didnt work for me, i unlinked and waited a day or two and the upgrade page wasnt in sync. went ahead with it anyway

Sorry not clear. Are you saying you cancelled the supp card and re-applied after upgrading and didn’t receive the bonus?
    What do you mean by unlinking?

Carlos 758 posts

although this didnt work for me, i unlinked and waited a day or two and the upgrade page wasnt in sync. went ahead with it anyway

Sorry not clear. Are you saying you cancelled the supp card and re-applied after upgrading and didn’t receive the bonus?
    What do you mean by unlinking?

no, after cancelling the supp. the upgrade page didnt recongise the cancelled card
    in my other point it is properly a good thing, as if for example you wanted to add a new supp it might be chargeable and without a bonus

Travel Strong 258 posts

Another success here after waiting a few days. I made changes (cancelled my old plat charge card, cancelled ARCC, cancelled supp on the gold card, etc), and tried to upgrade (online via mobile) after leaving it a couple of days from the changes – but it was rejected. Tried 1wk later (online on laptop) and success.

I’d have waited longer but I need the travel insurance to kick in by tomorrow!

Vit 158 posts

Hello, small data point. Similar to a few here. Decided to upgrade using ARCC instead of the Gold card. It was not allowed at first as it was not used in the past 12 months or so. Went into local M&S to make some purchases and tried again when payment was still pending — the upgrade went through. Added the SUPP card right away. 5000 MR posted this morning. I am curious when the dining offer, etc. comes through for me to save? We don’t need travel insurance etc. but will be in London and outside the UK to use the dining credit. And will make the £4k spend asap.

My understanding is as it is ARCC, 40,000MR won’t post till chat/call AMEX? and it is at discretion?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Ooh, the offers from gold card have truly carried over after upgrade. Deliveroo still works.

Rui N. 831 posts

Yep, can confirm that also got a deliveroo credit after upgrade.

redethernet1 90 posts

How long does the supp bonus offer appear post-up?

Ash 621 posts

Today my wife called Amex to upgrade her Preferred Gold card to Amex but was told she would be ineligible for the 40k rewards upgrade bonus as she holds the amex BA Basic Blue card??

Also informed its a fresh application for the Platinum which comes with hard credit check.

JDB 4,369 posts

Today my wife called Amex to upgrade her Preferred Gold card to Amex but was told she would be ineligible for the 40k rewards upgrade bonus as she holds the amex BA Basic Blue card??

Also informed its a fresh application for the Platinum which comes with hard credit check.

Also informed its a fresh application for the Platinum which comes with hard credit check.[/quote]

Have you tried doing it on the website? The whole point of this promotion was that it offered a SUB to those who were otherwise ineligible. My wife and I each got an email, but my wife had already used the link posted on the first page of this thread which is still there and seems to work. Don’t forget to screenshot as you go though the process in case she doesn’t get the points automatically.

PS I don’t think there is any credit check as I watched my wife doing her application and it was instantaneous. Could be different if your wife has the Gold charge card.

Skywalker 697 posts

https://www.americanexpress.com/amex/en-gb/benefits/upgrade/platinum/

Has she tried this link?

Ash 621 posts

Hi all, thanks for the link.

She has a requisite Gold credit card.

Sent the link on live chat and told the offer is targeted to those that received the email and hence she cannot upgrade. She is a very light user of the gold card and only had for 6 months.

Sent the link on live chat and told the offer is targeted to those that received the email and hence she cannot upgrade. She is a very light user of the gold card and only had for 6 months.

Many users have mentioned the upgrade is only available for those who held the card for atleast 12 months. So not surprising

Skywalker 697 posts

I never received any email at all, I saw the link on HfP, clicked on the link and it worked – I never even had a gold card, just an ARCC.

HJ 37 posts

Yep, can confirm that also got a deliveroo credit after upgrade.

Is it still working or did it eventually get removed?

HJ 37 posts

Sorry if this has been asked before but does spend on the account (via the gold) while waiting for the new plat card to arrive count towards £4k spend target? Plat isn’t due to arrive until next week and I have a large purchase to make beforehand.

Carlos 758 posts

Sorry if this has been asked before but does spend on the account (via the gold) while waiting for the new plat card to arrive count towards £4k spend target? Plat isn’t due to arrive until next week and I have a large purchase to make beforehand.

Yes immediately

HJ 37 posts

Yes immediately

Amazing, thanks. Does this also mean that I could trigger the dining credit by paying with my gold card? Offer isn’t there yet but assuming I ask Amex chat to manually add the offer to my account.

Yes immediately

Amazing, thanks. Does this also mean that I could trigger the dining credit by paying with my gold card? Offer isn’t there yet but assuming I ask Amex chat to manually add the offer to my account.

You have to wait for the offer to be added.

HJ 37 posts

I have the offers added now, but Amex CS seem to think spending on my gold card won’t trigger them. They don’t have a clue sometimes though.

Aston100 1,388 posts

I have the offers added now, but Amex CS seem to think spending on my gold card won’t trigger them. They don’t have a clue sometimes though.

Take with a pinch of salt anything said by the overseas call centres.

HJ 37 posts

Yes immediately

You have to wait for the offer to be added.

I have the offers saved now, just don’t have the physical card yet.

Using my gold card in the meantime should trigger the offers right? Amex CS don’t seem to think so but they don’t have a clue sometimes.

stevenhp1987 330 posts

I wouldn’t risk it. I’d personally wait for the Platinum card to arrive. Mine took 2 days from application to arrive.

Recent data point: Upgraded from Gold to Plat. No spend progress bar. 40k MR points arrived as soon as I hit £4k spend.

Already used my £150 foreign dining credit for a lovely meal in Barcelona. Now I need to plan some weekend trips into London to use the Harvey Nichols (eat at Burger & Lobster) & the UK Dining offer.

Skywalker 697 posts

I wouldn’t risk it. I’d personally wait for the Platinum card to arrive. Mine took 2 days from application to arrive.

Recent data point: Upgraded from Gold to Plat. No spend progress bar. 40k MR points arrived as soon as I hit £4k spend.

Already used my £150 foreign dining credit for a lovely meal in Barcelona. Now I need to plan some weekend trips into London to use the Harvey Nichols (eat at Burger & Lobster) & the UK Dining offer.

That’s great – I was asking them about the same thing today re: progress bar so thanks for the update 🙂

Where did you eat in Barcelona?

stevenhp1987 330 posts

That’s great – I was asking them about the same thing today re: progress bar so thanks for the update 🙂

Where did you eat in Barcelona?

We had a 2 course meal at Carpe Diem Lounge Club plus cocktails & wine. Wouldn’t have spent that much on dinner if I was paying the tab myself… It’s also a night club after hours so presumably the dining credit would have triggered for a free night out too.

It was a trip where my wife said “I’ve gone too far” because the flights were a redemption, the pre-cruise hotel stay was a redemption, the dinner was free and the cruise was a redemption (Virgin Voyages)!

Harrods 120 posts

Ugh I hit the £4k spend but no points…. no tracker either

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.