Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Upgrade Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card to Platinum

• Sprout 31 posts

@Aston, @Luke My datapoint is upgrading from ARCC to Platinum. I don’t have a gold card

LukeLukeLukeLuke 23 posts

@Aston, @Luke My datapoint is upgrading from ARCC to Platinum. I don’t have a gold card

Makes sense, thanks. I guess I could perhaps try the upgrade approach, spend the amount quickly, bank the points, and then hope they don’t claw them back. And if they do try to claw the points back, I’d either play the dumb card or just stomach the annoyance.

Hmmmmm, or perhaps I should just use P2’s ‘guaranteed’ 24,000 referral award points, even though I wouldn’t be eligible for any sign-up bonus points.

Decisions, decisions.

Carlos 758 posts

Has anyone tried to get in touch with retentions after completing the bonus? I have tried but no offers, in comparison the retention thread has some data points of platinum holders being offered 40-50k to stay, even those holding for one month or so

Rui N. 828 posts

I got 35k

Carlos 758 posts

I got 35k

Did you have to wait longer than 2-3 months? I presume you registered for platinum directly and not via the upgrade?

Rui N. 828 posts

Upgrade. After 1 month.

LukeLukeLukeLuke 23 posts

Hmmm, it looks like some aspects of my account (e.g. Amex Travel) register that I still have the PRG card, hence why I am perhaps being shown this offer despite downgrading to the ARCC last year.

Still very tempted to take a gamble on it. Particularly as some of their systems are seeing it as Gold, so should hopefully register the bonus properly.

redethernet1 85 posts

Give it a go for sure

Ash 621 posts

Anyone know if credit check is done when upgrading? Or of there are criteria to for the upgrade to go through?

redethernet1 85 posts

Anyone know if credit check is done when upgrading? Or of there are criteria to for the upgrade to go through?

No, its instant

Skywalker 693 posts

No credit check, no hoops to jump through. Tick whatever box, “sign on the dotted line”, enjoy your new card.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Your current credit limit is being used for the new card, so no new check.

Harrods 120 posts

10K anniversary + 20k retention on gold came through

Instant upgrade to plat…hopefully taking the retention on gold card doesn’t stop a potential retention offer on platinum given its the “same” card

ee 48 posts

On the £4k spend in 3 months, does supplementary cardholder spend count towards the target?

On the £4k spend in 3 months, does supplementary cardholder spend count towards the target?

Always counts.

Harrods 120 posts

do the gold + supp credit cards automatically get sent out once upgraded? theres an option to “covert to metal card” when trying to get a replacement

Carlos 758 posts

do the gold + supp credit cards automatically get sent out once upgraded? theres an option to “covert to metal card” when trying to get a replacement

both cards get upgraded, it tells you on the upgrade page too

ee 48 posts

Always counts.

Great thank you.

Harrods – my experience this week has been that both the new main and supplementary cards were with me automatically within 48 hours.

As Carlos says, both will be upgraded. Suggest you cancel supp card before upgrade. You’ll get 5k points if you apply for a supp card after upgrade.

Ash 621 posts

Thank you to everyone for earlier replies.

Anyone know if activated Gold statement credit offers will be honoured if you upgrade?

Carlos 758 posts

As Carlos says, both will be upgraded. Suggest you cancel supp card before upgrade. You’ll get 5k points if you apply for a supp card after upgrade.

although this didnt work for me, i unlinked and waited a day or two and the upgrade page wasnt in sync. went ahead with it anyway

Carlos 758 posts

Thank you to everyone for earlier replies.

Anyone know if activated Gold statement credit offers will be honoured if you upgrade?

yes activated and current offers will transfer over

Carlos 758 posts

Always counts.

Great thank you.

Harrods – my experience this week has been that both the new main and supplementary cards were with me automatically within 48 hours.

or instantly with apply pay

Carlos 758 posts

wouldnt it count as a paid supplementary card as the history of added your first gold supplementary card would be linked?

Harrods 120 posts

both cards get upgraded, it tells you on the upgrade page too

yep I was referring to the new physical cards get issued automatically but I think so after reading the email. Apple Pay was instant of course.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.