Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Upgrade voucher question

• memesweeper 1,244 posts

From the article on the premium card:

return upgrade – on either a cash or miles ticket – from Premium to Upper Class, or from Economy Delight/Classic to Premium (requires reward availability in the higher class)

Anyone know if I can use this open jaw, and mixed classes? I want to fly PE out and Upper back, out to LAX and back from IAD. I’d take J in both directions, if I could, but there’s no availability.

Gary 293 posts

Been previously advised open jaw is possible. VS vouchers are all manually applied so I cannot see why CS would not allow mixed classes.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

Does the £160 fee count towards the £10000 target?

MattB 259 posts

No

Comrade Chag 79 posts

No

Thank you.

DanGK 15 posts

You also have to phone to book now (apparently). I booked online and phoned to get the voucher added retrospectively. They initially said no but eventually cancelled and rebooked without issue but warned they wouldn’t do it again.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I’m still new to Virgin – is there any way to use the voucher for UC if you’re only a red status holder – either on cash or points?

Gary 293 posts

Yes to both cash and points. You can use it as an upgrade voucher for 1 pax and pay the difference between PE & UC. If used as a companion voucher, it’s 2 for price of 1.5 (rather than 1).

Gary 293 posts
    NorthernLass 7,472 posts

Thanks @Gary – it does seem a lot more complicated than using the BAPP 241!

marks7389 425 posts

Thanks @Gary – it does seem a lot more complicated than using the BAPP 241!

Worth noting that using the vouchers for upgrade may be better than using them as a 2for1 / 2for1.5, even with two travelling:

*If you’re Red status, the Virgin points saving by dropping down to the Premium redemption rate for one ticket is often more than 50% of UC which is what you’d save with a 2for1.5;
    *For the same reason, even if you’re Silver/Gold, earning and using two vouchers on a booking often saves Virgin points over a 2for1 (obviously there’s a need here to weigh up whether putting more spend through a Virgin card to get the second voucher is worth it, if you don’t already have a spare one).

More complicated yes, but you can get good value out of them if the availability is there (big if!)…..

ercb 10 posts

Once I have earned a Virgin UG voucher does the spending from the next monthly statement go towards the next voucher or is there a waiting period until the new year start like BA AMEX?

ercb 10 posts

If I want to redeem 3 Virgin UG vouchers for myself, my wife and my son (currently coming up to age 2) is there any reason why I can’t do this? Just wanting to check there isn’t a restriction that says a minor can’t use a voucher.

SteC 35 posts

Once I have earned a Virgin UG voucher does the spending from the next monthly statement go towards the next voucher or is there a waiting period until the new year start like BA AMEX?

I got 2 vouchers in a year a couple of years ago when I bought my new car so I dont think there is a waiting period.

I dont think that spend will carry over to a new card year though but I could be wrong.

Youllnever 182 posts

Just to confirm, when you use the voucher to upgrade to Upper Class, am I correct in saying that you’ll be able to access the Virgin Clubhouse?

ercb 10 posts

Yes Youllnever when you have an UC ticket you have access to the Clubhouse. Using the voucher makes no difference to cash for that.

Gary 293 posts

If I want to redeem 3 Virgin UG vouchers for myself, my wife and my son (currently coming up to age 2) is there any reason why I can’t do this? Just wanting to check there isn’t a restriction that says a minor can’t use a voucher.

No restrictions for kids.

Gary 293 posts

Like BA Amex, no carry over. Counting restarts from card anniversary.

Youllnever 182 posts

Yes Youllnever when you have an UC ticket you have access to the Clubhouse. Using the voucher makes no difference to cash for that.

Thanks a lot!

ercb 10 posts

Thanks Gary. So if I have been a member since 12 March I guess this will be my anniversary date. My last voucher was issued on 14 September so all my spending from then until 12 March will have been ‘wasted’?

ChasP 155 posts

Thanks Gary. So if I have been a member since 12 March I guess this will be my anniversary date. My last voucher was issued on 14 September so all my spending from then until 12 March will have been ‘wasted’?

well you still get the points but no help with voucher – and unlike AMEX you cant cancel for a pro rata refund

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.