Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Virgin Voyages Master Thread (do NOT post referral codes – use other thread)

• dmm27 55 posts

Question about port arrival/departure procedures and shore trips. We are booked on Irresistable Med on 2nd Oct. Not planning on booking any of the Shore Things trips but going DIY.

How does it work with leaving and getting back on the ship in each port? Is there a big queue of people trying to leave, or a big airport style queue to get back on board? If if the itinerary says departing at eg 8pm, what time do you need to be back on board?

Just trying to work out how long we would have in each port once you’ve managed to get off the ship, and before you need to start queuing so you don’t get left behind 🤣

stevenhp1987 331 posts

There was no queueing back in July. Might be slightly different now there are more sailors on board.

Just walk off the cruise by tapping your wristband.

On our cruise all aboard was 30 minutes before departure. I can’t imagine them leaving without you if you are in the queue at at that time.

There is some airline style security on boarding. Some ports also have their own airline style security on top. You don’t need to take liquids out etc (unless it’s alcohol of course or if they ask to check it). It’s very quick though.

nectar collector 282 posts

@dmm27 no queueing on or off to speak of this week either…….

dmm27 55 posts

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be busier for thus trip but goid to know how it works

gordog01 17 posts

There was no queueing back in July. Might be slightly different now there are more sailors on board.

Just walk off the cruise by tapping your wristband.

On our cruise all aboard was 30 minutes before departure. I can’t imagine them leaving without you if you are in the queue at at that time.

There is some airline style security on boarding. Some ports also have their own airline style security on top. You don’t need to take liquids out etc (unless it’s alcohol of course or if they ask to check it). It’s very quick though.I am on Virgin Valliant right now and no queues to really worry about.

gordog01 17 posts

Wow I can’t believe the value of this redemption of Virgin points! It’s just class and only 60% full on valiant lady right now.

markdhayes 57 posts

Some 2023 Caribbean dates have been released for virgin miles.

Stephen 48 posts

Hello, what’s the current cashback offer on Virgin Atlantic credit card for Virgin Voyages? Is it online only or includes payment on the cruise? Unfortunately, my cashback section isn’t working on the app (just blank white screen)

Travel Strong 258 posts

@dace @stephen @PaulB @acephalgic @thegamebird @mikael @keensta @mkyni

HFP Satellite party on the 2nd Oct sailing?! Seems like quite a few on here are going.

I’ve joined the FB for the sailing date (the Private group, not the public one) and will start a thread there if there is any interest?

Travel Strong 258 posts

I’ve joined the FB

* FB group!

raveon 5 posts

I also won on the Virgin Red comp, but having burnt all my annual leave this year already I’m not going to be able to redeem it 🙁 I have asked them for an extension but more in desperation than expectation.

Chas 139 posts

I also won on the Virgin Red comp, but having burnt all my annual leave this year already I’m not going to be able to redeem it 🙁 I have asked them for an extension but more in desperation than expectation.

I have also just asked for an extension, as we’re really unlikely to be able to make a sailing this year due to my wife’s work. I called the UK number, but was speaking with someone in the US who had me on hold for ages whilst she tried to find an answer. Eventually she said that she was going to raise a case with their “solutions team” who would get back to me. Please post here the outcome of your query.

raveon 5 posts

Tried both calling and the chat function; both times the agent said no, so I pushed them to speak to a supervisor who wouldn’t budge either. Hope you have better luck!

I ended up booking 19th-27th Nov Eastern Caribbean in the hope that I can come to an ‘arrangement’ with my employer as otherwise it was going to be a case of use it or lose it.

Chas 139 posts

Sorry @raveon, I accidentally clicked “report” instead of “quote” on your comment…

Thanks, and sorry you didn’t have any luck. I’ve not heard back from them yet (I only contacted them yesterday afternoon before I’d seen your original post), but it doesn’t bode well for me…. My next option is to see if my wife doesn’t mind me jetting off for a week with a mate given that it’s her diary restrictions that are causing the issues, but I think I know how that conversation will go!

duke 41 posts

Why did you lot enter when you knew you couldn’t go? Decent thing would have been to give others a chance. Very greedy.

pbcold 348 posts

Wow….thank GOD my mind doesn`t wok like that.

Chas 139 posts

@duke – before you enter any competition, do you sit down with your partner and ask them “in the extremely unlikely event that I win this competition, would you be available to come away on dates x, y or z? Shall we check who will be able to look after the kids, and get them to commit to those dates now, and in the meantime block out our work (and personal) diaries so that we could go on holiday. Just in case…..”?

BajiNahid 167 posts

If there’s anyone who can’t go let me know! I’m off work the whole of November so would love to take your place 😉 @raveon

pbcold 348 posts

@duke – before you enter any competition, do you sit down with your partner and ask them “in the extremely unlikely event that I win this competition, would you be available to come away on dates x, y or z? Shall we check who will be able to look after the kids, and get them to commit to those dates now, and in the meantime block out our work (and personal) diaries so that we could go on holiday. Just in case…..”?

THIS.

LewisB 9 posts

Some 2023 Caribbean dates have been released for virgin miles.

I am hoping some of the new Greece itinaries appear for summer 2023. I was exceptionally pleased with my Mediterranean cruise and would happily drop 120,000 points based on the 2023 Carribbean prices.

markdhayes 57 posts

Yep that’s what I’m waiting for too. Fingers crossed.

Paul B 224 posts

Yep that’s what I’m waiting for too. Fingers crossed.

+1. Thanks to this thread for first bringing this to my attention. Great redemption, and almost selfishly hesitant to say so as arguably the less eyes on this prize the better.

taxaholic 5 posts

We are just back from a cruise on Scarlet Lady. This was our first ever cruise and we were really impressed and we are definately converted. They had a offer on board where you pay a $300 deposit to use against another sailing in the next two years and they give you $300 discount and $600 of loot for the next booking, which we took them up on.

Service, food, rooms, activities, staff were all excellent. We liked the tech used on the app and wrist band as well, made everthing much easier.

One mistake we did make was that we had a rockstar suite which comes with the mini bar filled up at the start. I also purchased the $300 credit with the $100 drinks offer. Turned out the mini bar was no so mini and we had 6 500ml bottles of spirits, beer and wine. We spent most of the trip trying to spend the credit on coffee and at the bars and endeded up taking most of the mini bar back home with us as there was no way we could have drunk it all.

Mart 38 posts

Trans Atlantic Med to Miami

Oct 29 to Nov 12 2023 https://virg.in/JkDy

Share the Love! Get $50. Give $50.

Free Money:)

stevenhp1987 331 posts

Valiant Ladies 6 night Caribbean 2023 (Jan-Mar) itinerary is now available on Virgin Red for 125,000 points.

https://www.virgin.com/virgin-red/spend-virgin-points/sailings-2023-valiant-lady-6-nights-in-the-caribbean-15737

Western Caribbean Charm

Day 1 – Miami. Departs at 06:00pm.

Day 2 – Sailing.

Day 3 – Roatán. Arrives at 10:00am, departs at 07:00pm.

Day 4 – Costa Maya. Arrives at 09:00am, departs at 06:00pm.

Day 5 – Sailing.

Day 6 – Beach Club at Bimini. Arrives at 08:00am, departs at 07:00pm.

Day 7 – Miami. Arrives at 06:30am.

Redeemed for my third free Virgin cruise! Certainly the best use of points… now down to ~ 85k left!

We’ve also booked into Greek Island Glow for July in cash next year using the on-board offer from last weeks cruise ($300 down for additional $300 off plus $600 credit) 🙂 Due to other offers I’ll have at least $1,000 in on-board credit!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.