Bits: BA Cambridge flights on Avios, T5 Priority Pass lounge picture, new Tesco bonus point deals

News in brief for a Tuesday morning:

Cambridge to Gothenburg on British Airways now redeemable

In February I wrote about the launch of the first British Airways service from Cambridge Airport!  In a deal underwritten by drugs giant Astra Zeneca, the Scandinavian based BA franchise airline Sun-Air launched a daily service to Gothenburg.

This is not a random choice – it was done to connect two major Astra Zeneca facilities.

At the time it was launched there were no Avios seats available.  However, as spotted on Flyertalk over the weekend, seats are now available over at ba.com.

Two economy seats are now available for most flights (there is no business class).  Remember that the service only operates Monday to Thursday and that it departs Cambridge at an early 7am.  On the upside, there is a Priority Pass lounge!

I was tempted to do this for the novelty value but the requirement for an overnight stay in Cambridge beforehand – and a very early start the next day – does not make it easy.

Sun-Air of Scandinavia

First image of the Terminal 5 Aspire (‘Priority Pass’) lounge

The first independent lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 is due to open in a couple of months although the exact date is not yet known.

It will be run under the ‘Aspire’ brand by Servisair / Swissport.  A image has now appeared on the Swissport website of how it will look:

Aspire Lounge Heathrow Terminal 5

The entrance will be by Gate 18 which means it will sit underneath the British Airways Galleries First lounge.  It isn’t clear how big it will be – it looks like it wraps around the edge of the terminal.  All will be revealed soon ….

Access is likely to be available for cash or with a Priority Pass and potentially Lounge Club card.  This will be good for American Express as it will make the Platinum card (which comes with a free unlimited-use Priority Pass) and the Gold card (which comes with a ‘2 visits’ Lounge Club card) more attractive.

New Tesco bonus point deals

Finally, two quick bonus point deals for additional Clubcard points.  These can be converted into Avios at 1 : 2.4 or Virgin Flying Club at 1 : 2.5.

You receive 150 bonus Clubcard points (360 Avios, 375 Virgin miles) when you pre-order the new Muse CD, Drones.  It cost £10 and you must order by June 21st.  The order page is here.

It isn’t worth buying purely for the points but it is a decent kick-back if you would have bought it anyway.

More interestingly, you can earn up to 5,000 bonus Clubcard points – a whopping 12,000 Avios points – when you buy selected Hotpoint and Indesit domestic appliances.  Only washing machines and fridge freezers seem to be included.

Details of the Hotpoint / Indesit offer are here.  Again, the deadline is June 21st.

100% bonus when you buy IHG Rewards Club points means cheap luxury hotels
REMINDER: Last chance for higher BA Amex bonuses and 100% Hilton 'buy points' bonus

Comments

1. RIccati says:

Aspire Lounges — all that “dress to impress” and dry soup packet (add hot water) on the menu.

Perhaps that why BA is fine with it, it will help to unload its lounges a bit while not being a serious alternative to Galleries/First for frequent T5 visitors.

• Of course they are finally happy to let the plebs have another option. Keeps them flying in Y but they now have reduced opportunity to obtain status! All ties in nicely with the avios and TP changes. Thus back to the J and F pax using the BA lounges, as was the original plan anyway. They never wanted those lounges crowded with easily gained status pax in the first place. Both North and South are packed these days, obviously with OW status pax too, of course. F lounge was also v busy last time we were there. Let’s hope the food is not as bad as you envisage Riccati!

• James67 says:

I’m convinced I got a stomach bug from their food in north lounge twice, since then I have left well alone.

• Plebs!? Just because you fly a lot, do you think that makes you better than others and gives you the right to use words like that?

Hope you choke on your LPGS

• James67 says:

Absolutely sure ypu got wrong end of the stick David, polly is having a go at BA for the manner in which they changed baec, she considers that BA have an attitude problem.

• Tilly71 says:

I don’t suppose you frequent the boards on Flyertalk do you with an attitude like that??

• Yes, I actually spend quite a lot of time on FT and, although there are a few arrogant morons and trolls on there, in my experience most users are decent and level headed. This is also usually true on HFP.

As for my attitude, I don’t look down my nose at people just because I’m fortunate enough to be able to travel comfortably. I would say anyone that does and uses words like “plebs” has a particularly poor and arrogant attitude.

• Can’t say it came across as remotely rude or arrogant, Polly. More like a description of how BA might view it.

• Worzel says:

Exactly how I saw it bob-was about to make a similar post myself! :) .

• Tilly71 says:

Hi David, my post was in reply to polly’s rude quote but somehow came up as a reply to your post. I only mentioned FT as there was a thread on there about tesco clubcard points and ba and some of the posts from regulars were of the same attitude as Polly.
            Basically looking down their noses at BA first flyers who gain seats via Tesco etc. Most on FT gain their miles via work travel so effectively free so it’s a bit ironic to look down on others who are not so fortunate.

• Ok no worries. I agree completely.

• Hopefully the “plebs” post was meant to refer to BAs view as has been suggested. I’m not convinced though.

• The_Real_A says:

I didn’t read Polly`s post as rude in any way. Perhaps over sensitive today?

• James67 says:

Absolutely sure you got wrong end of the stick David, Polly is having a go at BA for the manner in which they changed baec, she considers that BA have an attitude problem.

• Worzel says:

I’ve read Polly’s helpful comments with interest on HFP in the past-and am sure that her comment above was in response to Riccati’s post and a view on BA’s stance.

It’s not always easy to interpret what is fully meant within a comment-we’ve all made a post and looked back afterwards and could have written it differently.

Time to move on? :) .

• I get a sneaky feeling that Aspire will be better than Galleries Club in some ways – smaller, quieter (TBC), less food options but probably similar quality, substantially less shoddy furnishings.

2. If you do stay in Cambridge come out for a beer rob

3. Go on Rob, come to Cambridge. We have some beautiful hotels worth staying in here like erm, you know, the good one and erm that other good one, and then that’s that park bench somewhere.

• I did have a brief look at the Cambridge hotel options and was not overwhelmed! If the airport had something in the terminal I may have been tempted. In reality I am looking at a 5am start from central Cambridge to get a taxi to the airport to get a very early one-class flight on a wobbly Embraer (or similar) to Gothenburg. Not sure how easy it is to get into Gothenburg but – since 2 nights away would be pushing it with the Mrs! – I’d then need to get the SAS flight to Stansted or a BA to LHR a few hours later. Not ideal.

• You’re not wrong. I certainly wouldn’t stay here, if I didn’t live here. I used to believe you could judge the quality of a city based on the best hotel available, yet seeing that Cambridge is actually a nice place to live, I may need to revise that.

We all appreciate your dedication to the job, but we’ll give you a pass on having to do that journey to write up on it.

• There’s no direct causal relationship between the two.

They might be common factors – but that does not imply you cannot (regularly) get one without the other.

• Quay mill is out of town but not to bad iv heard.

4. Is it just me or have tesco been far less generous with bonus point promos recently?

• Yes. I suspect it’s because people were taking the piss with the computer game offers. Greedy people will kill the golden goose.

The gift cards offer has longevity because I imagine tesco are delighted with people smashing that one, but not so much with people buying 1000 points for a fiver. The 25 points for a chilli was probably the final nail.

• Tilly71 says:

If your connecting 1000 points for a fiver to the games pre order slips, it was 500 cc pts for a fiver.

• Thomas says:

Has anyone received any Tesco coupons at all recently ?

• there has been talk about these on Flyer Talk
        synopsis is:
        it’s either a deal that’s over or there’s been a delay and they’ll be here in 10 days

5. Nick M says:

We flew from T5 on Sunday and ate at Plane Food… there is an app – Velocity – that they’re promoting which gives £10 off the bill (& you can split the bill several ways) …worth a look if you can’t get into the lounges.

6. Plebs? Umm… Thanks Polly, from all us plebs out here.
    Anyway, has anyone seen any clubcard bonuses for taking out Tesco car Insurance recently? A 3000 point bonus was knocking about?

• promotion code CAR300G, valid until 23rd June according to the leaflet.

• Sorry missed a zero off, CAR3000G

• Worked for me a few weeks ago. On a renewal of an existing Tesco policy. I just cancelled the old one & took out the new one with the code, points already awarded.

• Tilly71 says:

How did you find your renewal price via tesco compared to others? When I done a quote they wanted over £100 more than my current providers renewal quote.

• Sorry, you were rude to Polly. Cannot engage.

• Dear bob,

You will find your e-tickets attached to this email.
      How to print your tickets:
      1.Open the PDF document that is attached.
      2.Print the PDF document.
      3.Bring your printed tickets and present them at the venue

• Now to find somebody who can actually use my tickets!

BST – The Strokes – 18th June – 18 June 2015 at 15:30
        Venue: Hyde Park
        Location: Westminster

London,
        W2 2UH Westminster
        London,
        W2 2UH
        Ticket Details
        General Admission

• Not a glitch – they are waiving the ticket price and inviting donations for cancer charities (in Evening Standard and other papers).

• were

• BST Hyde Park

4 hrs ·

All Charity tickets have now gone – Thank you for your generosity and for supporting these great causes – We look forward to seeing you at BST Hyde Park !

Apologies for those that had technical difficulties – we will be responding to you ASAP to rectify the problem for you

• That was fun. They stopped me buying any more!

Hope you have better luck.

• No longer available

• Great offer and spot however why buy them if you can’t use them?

7. I was going to buy the Drones CD anyway. Free points, cheaper than Amazon, and delivered for free with our Delivery Saver. Thanks!

8. Looks like Tesco ink cartridge points is back @ 125 points for select few cartridges http://www.therecyclingfactory.com/tesco/