Bits: BA / Clubcard competition, 2400 Avios with £60 of LEGO Star Wars, Hoppa article

News in brief:

Win 50 x 18,000 Avios with Tesco

There is no transfer bonus for Tesco Clubcard to Avios conversions this quarter (what a surprise!).

Instead, if you convert into British Airways Executive Club, there is a competition.

As per this page of ba.com, there are 50 prizes of 18,000 Avios to be won.  You receive one entry for every 500 Clubcard points you convert to BAEC Avios points between 1st May and 31st May.

If your Tesco account is set to auto-convert, you won’t miss out.  In fact, you will automatically receive two entries for every 500 Clubcard points which are auto-converted.

It remains to be seen if avios.com will run a similar, better or worse competition – or nothing at all.  There isn’t anything showing on the Avios website at the moment.

The tesco.com page to convert your Clubcard vouchers to BA is here.

Clubcard vouchers

Get 2,400 Avios with £60 worth of LEGO Star Wars

Speaking of Tesco, Tesco Direct is giving away 1,000 Clubcard points (2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles) when you spend £60 on LEGO Star Wars.

The deal runs until 8th May.  Click here to see the sets included.

Full details are in this Shopper Points article.

millenium falcon star wars tesco extra clubcard points

Heathrow Hoppa article update

Finally, I made some changes during the day yesterday to the article on using the free local buses around Heathrow to avoid paying for the Hotel Hoppa service.  These were in response to the discovery of a brand new area bus map online.

If you read the article early in the day or read it via email, please take a look online at the revised version if you are planning to act on it.

I check out the new British Airways domestic Club Europe
Got the Etihad credit card? Get a free upgrade to Heathrow Rewards premium tier

Comments

1. BrianDT says:

I can’t see where it says two entries per auto convert, but then it is 5.30am ?

• I can’t see that either – I also scanned through the T&Cs (a rare thing for me!) and couldn’t see anything there either!

2. Darren says:

Is it 1000 clubcard points on each multiple of £60 spend or a one off hit when you spend £60 and nothing for further purchases? I could end up with a full battalion of X wing fighters or whatever the collective is?

• Steve says:

Squadron

• On a previous offer I ordered 2 x £30 worth and got 2 lots of bonus points. As long as you place the orders separately the offer will work.

3. Wally1976 says:

OT – does anyone know: if you were to book 4 BA Avios redemptions at midnight GMT and then ring within 24 hours would you be able to cancel just one of them (and retain the other three) with no charge? Would they have to cancel them all and rebook 3 (with the risk that they may not go back into the reward inventory)? Thanks.

• Polly says:

Wally, that’s very iffy. We have a friend who did just that to Dxb, and literally one week before flying discovered that ba had accidentally cancelled everyone in the group. He was Gold, but didn’t get them all rebooked into club, nightmare. Call up today and double triple check first. I think if they are all on the same PNR it’s not,possible…rob may know more…

• Genghis says:

Is it possible to book them under two separate PNRs (or would you lose anything by doing so, i.e. someone has status and therefore one person wouldn’t get a seat reservation)??

• Wally1976 says:

Yes it’s possible but it’s a timing thing – wanted to grab them as quickly as possible after midnight GMT so easier to grab all 4 at once. Just thinking through some possibilities at the moment (in relation to using the Lloyds upgrade voucher), thanks for the input Genghis and Polly.

4. Andrew* says:

Went to read the BA site details about the conversion competition and came across a Fairmont promotion saving me 15% on a planned (well, now rebooked) booking – cheers Rob!

5. chris says:

Anyone heading to Amsterdam have an IHG offer on my portal today for the new Kimpton.

• €25 Hotel Credit (per day)
    • 2,000 Bonus IHG® Rewards Club Points (per stay)
    **Available for stays before 31st December 2017.

• Alex W says:

Will a stay there count towards accelerate?

• Prices are dropping here. I may rebook my points night for cash especially given my Accelerate targets.

6. the real harry1 says:

O/T there’s a decent Virgin offer —> Virgin Wines with £50 off

You are joining a club – which gets you free delivery – so need to cancel afterwards.

15 bottles of the Mount Light Chardonnay Semillon Riesling 2015 work out at £3.65 / bottle delivered – plenty more to chose from for slightly more/ bottle

7. OT (as always): Anyone got the Avios from the Economist offer yet?

• the real harry1 says:

sure – somebody reported they got the points in the last couple of days – had to chase them, though

• Got mine this morning. Too late for the aviis superboost I had factored in.

But not to late for the £110 cancellation chargeback I had agreed to and received two weeks ago for the non-posting :)

• Got mine a few days ago – coincidentally (or not) two days after I emailed them to chase (had been 11 weeks – their original enail promised 4-6). No apology or reply to my email though.

• Kathy says:

Not got mine yet, but it’s about time to chase them again (got told to wait 6-8 weeks last time I chased). Hopefully if they are now coming through a chase will do the trick,

8. Highland Traveller says:

o/t Can I use my BA Amex 241 voucher on 2 one way flights (i.e. to Boston, return JFK or would I have to enter through JFK?)

Thanks!

• Genghis says:

It’s called an open jaw and yes, you can do that. Rule is that the jaw distance has to be less than any of the legs (so LHR-BOS, JFK-LON is OK but LHR-MOW, MAD-LHR is not)

9. Keith says:

O/T does the House of Fraser Amex offer track with an online gift card. T&C says in store only so unlikely I guess?

10. Callum says:

I still don’t get why people are messing around with bus map pdfs when you can just type it in Google maps and get an instant timetable and the exact GPS-enabled map for the bus stop location…

• Genghis says:

Agreed. I think the PDF is good to give you an idea of how it all fits together but for specifics on how to get from your hotel of choice to the terminal, use Google maps.

• Google doesn’t tell you which routes are included in the free zone and which aren’t – and most of the point is to make use of these…

For reference, most buses around the airport are included, but some (e.g. 222, 81, 90, X26) are not, despite travelling through the freeflow zone and been potentially useful.

11. MarkH says:

OT – I have booked my first 2-4-1 redemption for 11th April next year (CPT in CW) and waiting for the return flights on 28th to open up. I’ve been checking the reward availability each morning when I get into work and there never seems to be any for the direct flights, only the the CPT-JNB-LHR flights.

I think I’ve read previously that people used to call up foreign BA call centres so they change the booking as soon as the flights are added? Is that still possible?

If not, then presumably I can do nothing but hope they are still available when the UK call centre opens at 7:30am.

If those flights are taken would my best option then be to get the CPT-JNB-LHR flight (paying extra avios or cash for the CPT-JNB sector) and then keep checking the availability for CPT-LHR flights and then call up to change the booking again?

• Genghis says:

You can either call up Japan and they can do it on the phone for you (call at exactly 1am BST at t-355 as they open at 9am local time IIRC) or call the US.

Or in my last one I booked two singles coming back and then called BAEC and was put through to Newcastle who then cancelled what I had booked and then rebooked adding those to the 241 outbound I had booked. They warned that the flights may not go back into reward inventory but they did. You also need the avios to cover two singles.

• Genghis says:

That should read “Or in my last one I booked two singles online once availability opened and then called BAEC…”

• MarkH says:

Thanks!
        I don’t have enough avios to cover the 2 singles so will have to give the foreign call centre a go. Hadn’t thought of calling the US…

12. signol says:

OT. Has anyone heard anything from the avios.com Super Boost promo from January? I was given a target of earn 25k Avios, get an additional 12k, and made it… But no sign yet of the bonus Avios. Thanks

13. the real harry1 says:

British Airways owner plots low-cost expansion as it hits record first quarter profit

14. the real harry1 says:
  15. the real harry1 says:
  16. the real harry1 says:
  17. BrianDT says:

Back to the original subject, is it double Avios when you opt in,or not ? Pretty simple question.

• the real harry1 says:

so simple, I’d don’t get it :)

double Avios for opting into what? auto-conversion – no

article was about 2 entries for auto-converts, is that the question?

• BrianDT says:

Read the article,again,

If your Tesco account is set to auto-convert, you won’t miss out. In fact, you will automatically receive two entries for every 500 Clubcard points which are auto-converted.

Where does it say that in Tesco’s small print?

18. OT:
    My brother missed his flight 2 days ago due to delays at security. He was flying Swiss: BHX-Jnb. We checked in around 17:15, flight was 18:50. Then went to get drink and cash for him. Reached security queues at 18:00. Their info boards said it will take 16 minutes to go through so left him there.

He says his boarding card didn’t scan so he had to wait for an official to let him through, then security held him to search his hand luggage. He got to the gate at the time they were offloading his bags ( the woman at gate told him so). He called me at 18:52-so I know it was marginal.

Swiss said it wasn’t their fault and charged £156 to change to next day. I also had to rebook his onward flight (JNB-GBE). Do I have a case and to who?
    (The next day it took him just 20minutes to pass through security and he was very early-typical).

• the real harry1 says:

no case whatsoever – your bro simply didn’t leave himself adequate time to get through security (50 mins plainly not enough for peace of mind when gates often close 20-30 mins before flight time)

that’s why most airports advise get there 2 hrs before flight (and these days some say 3 hrs)