Bits: new Amex cashback deals, triple Accor points in Europe & APAC, Opodo codes correction

News in brief:

New American Express cashback deals launched

American Express has launched a new wave of statement credit deals.  These offers may or may not be available for you to activate if you look at the ‘Offers’ tab on your online statement or in the Amex app.  Make sure to check for every card you hold as the offers vary.

The ‘10% back at Caffe Nero’ deal has, I am told, been rolled out to every Amex-issued Amex card so you are certain to see that.  It runs until 19th July and would work alongside the Nero in-store cashback deal run by Avios.

Focusing purely on travel, the ones I see are:

£20 back on £60 Eurostar spend, expires 7th August

10% back on Monarch, expires 3rd September

5% back on P&O Ferries, expires 19th July

10% back on £600 spend at Neilson Active Holidays, expires 21st July

Older offers still running include:

2% back on Airbnb, expires 19th July (you can get a £30 discount on your first booking on via our link)

2% back on Trainline, extended to 12th July

£10 back on £50 Heathrow Express spend, expires 23rd July

You may also still have ‘£50 cashback on a £200 American Express Travel’ booking showing on a Gold or Platinum card.  I managed to use this last week, pre-paying a non-chain hotel for one night.  The cost was just over £200 so it was an excellent rebate.

There is also 5% cashback on ticket bookings at LOVEtheatre, which is an Avios partner.  Details on earning Avios from LOVEtheatre can be found here.  The cashback offer runs until 13th September.

Accor APAC offer

Triple Le Club AccorHotels points in Asia Pacific

Le Club AccorHotels, the loyalty scheme for Ibis / Novotel / Sofitel / Mecure etc, is currently running a very generous triple or quadruple points offer in Europe and the Middle East.  You can register here and my article on it is here.  Book by 23rd July for stays by 3rd September.

Accor has now launched a similar 3x bonus offer for the Asia-Pacific region.  Specifically, it covers:

Cambodia, Greater China (including Hong Kong ,Taiwan & Macao), India, Indonesia, Japan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, Fiji Islands, French Polynesia, New Zealand

It is a good deal.  You will earn TRIPLE base points on every booking you make and complete before 10th September.

Even if you have no Accor status, you will be earning 7.5 points per €1 equivalent you spend.  This is worth 15% of your spend back in Accor vouchers or (if you credit to Iberia Plus and not British Airways) 7.5 Avios per €1 spent.

Status members will do even better.

You need to register via this page of the Accor website.

Bookings made before 10th June will not count so, if you have existing flexible bookings, you should cancel and rebook them as long as the price is no higher.

Opodo discount code

Opodo discount codes corrected – sorry!

The Opodo discount codes I published yesterday were duff, unfortunately, due to incorrect info supplied to me.  These are the correct codes and minimum spends.  Remember you need to book by 5th July.

Save £45 on a flight booking of £800 or more with code SALES45

Save £110 on a ‘flight and hotel’ booking of £1,000 or more with code SALES110

Full details of this ‘£1 million giveaway sale’ offer can be found on the Opodo site here.  Apologies if you were struggling with these yesterday.

50% bonus when you buy Avios - worth it?
LAST CALL: Virgin credit card bonus at 10,000 (White) and 25,000 (Black) miles

Comments

1. I had the £50 off £200 spend on one of my cards and sent a secure message to Amex and got them to add it to my BA Amex, so basically got it twice! So maybe worth asking them if you don’t have it on one of your cards.

• Does this expire on 30th June?

• Yeah I think so. It didn’t show up on my active offers list after they said they’d added it, but they did send me a reminder email telling me to use it

• Choons says:

I think it does. I am wondering whether spending on Experiences counts too as I can’t get any more value out of the hotels on the site. Car hire could also be an option for some.

• hedgecock says:

I confirm that the Amex 50/200 offer works cumulatively and from purchases at different dates within the promotional period too

2. I bought a BA flight last night using Amex Gold. At the payment stage when it goes through the Amex safekey thing, I got an offer for double MR for the next £2500 spent within a month.

Now, I was booking this in bed and just about to fall asleep (relying on the cooling off 24h in case I made a mistake) so I actually can’t remember if I just dreamed this up!! Also, I’m away and only have a phonetablet.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this offer?

• Aspirational Flyer says:

Sounds believable to me. I got a leaflet in the post last week offering 7,000 extra avios if I spend £7,000 in the next couple of months. Not that I’m going to take them up on it!

• barnaby100 says:

I got that on my BA Amex- I easily spend that each month- so an odd offer.

3. Alex W says:

I reluctantly stayed at an Ibis the weekend before last. Am Accor Plat and I auto convert to Iberia. I have only received 5 Avios per Euro spent. Will I get the triple Avios later or has something gone awry?

• Peter K says:

Did you click the link beforehand to get the extra? If you didn’t them you’ll only get standard.

4. Can the £50 off £200 on the gold card be added to supplementary card on the gold or is once per account?

Thanks

5. RussellH says:

> 2% back on Trainline, extended to 12th July

I do not have that one, and do not use the Trainline, as they charge for credit card bookings. I suppose if one were buying a huge wodge of expensive first class tickets the 2% would more than cover the card fee.

Always check the TOC’s own website first, though, in case there are some special offers only available there.

• “I use Transpennine Express for most rail tickets these days, as they give Nectar points on all bookings, unlike Virgin who only pay out on wholely Virgin tickets.”

True about TPE, but not quite true on Virgin.

You will get points if at least part of the route is on a Virgin* train.

* The confusing bit is it has to be the right Virgin. Book west coast tickets on the east coast site and you’ll get nowt! So yes, it’s so much simpler to book via TPE (or GWR, interestingly Hull Trains has recently dropped Nectar).

Why Virgin thinks this is an incentive to book with them I have no idea.

6. Andrew H says:

O/T

Has anyone received the bonus 2k avios for a single stay at a Hilton yet? Up to a maximum of 10k.

• Yes, got 2k from a recent cash stay. And I only changed my earning preferences after booking, not before. Not sure if the Avios have arrived yet but Hilton shows them as sent.

• Andrew H says:

Thank you. How long did it take roughly from the stay to them showing as sent?

• You can change your earning preferences up to midnight CST on the day of stay (extract of T&Cs below) – the only issue is if you had a different airline FF programme linked to the booking, changing that preference has no impact on existing bookings.

“Members can change their Earning Style Option at any time. The Earning Style Option in place for a Member as of 23:59:59 U.S. Central Standard Time on the day of check-out for a given stay will be the Option that governs earnings for that stay. No changes can be made retroactively for past stays.”

• I’ve had the bonus and normal points post into my ba account within 4 days for one stay, but the stay before that has only posted the normal miles, but the bonus is shown in my hilton account so guess I will get it at some point!

• Sididdly says:

I’ve had a couple of stays during this promo. 1st stay showed up on my Hilton account with 2k bonus but only base miles posted in my BA account. 2nd stay base miles and the 2k showed up on my Hilton account and have posted on my BA account.

• Matt K says:

Here’s my experience:

Checked out 2nd June – no 2,000 bonus avios yet (but standard points and miles posted). Offer is acknowledged on my account but the bonus has not appeared in BAEC yet.

Checked out – 22nd June. 2,000 avios (plus standard points/miles) posted 27th June

Checked out 23rd June. 2,000 avios (plus standard points/miles) posted 27th June

• Nothing for my reward stays – despite them not being specifically excluded in the T&Cs they say they’re not part of the offer 🙁

• Andrew H says:

You should surely be getting the bonus for those stays if no hotels were excluded. Can I ask which ones they were? are you talking brands (e.g. Hampton) or specific hotels?

• Mix of brands, Hilton CS say that reward stays were excluded across the board as you don’t earn miles on them per Hilton Honors T&Cs. I’ve replied saying I completely appreciate that re normal miles, but these were bonus miles and thus was expecting to receive them on the stays and booked reward stays accordingly. Will see what they say, but not hopeful.

• You should get them if something was charged to the room, except Hampton s

• Nope – they have specifically stated that no miles are payable on reward stays, even on incidentals. As I say I’ve gone back to them querying this for these bonus miles.

“I have researched your request further with our Airline liaison stating the Terms and Conditions of both the Airline promotion available and the Honors Terms & Conditions as stated.

Hilton Honors™ membership, earning of Points and Miles™ and redemption of points are subject to Hilton Honors Terms and Conditions. *Award miles are issued subject to the British Airways Terms and Conditions.

Honors Terms and Conditions, under the Mileage Programs with our Airline Partners: Number 4- states… Members will not earn miles for Reward Stays.

Unfortunately your recent reward stays will not be eligible to earn stay miles, as the stay were booked as Reward Stays. We apologize for this inconvenience.

We appreciate your loyalty and support. Have a great day!”

7. Andrew H says:

Thank you! Quite inconsistent then. Some post quickly, others don’t.

• JamesB says:

I got nothing for an old P&M or a full points stay in May. Both were Hiltons and both had bar bill charged to the room. I have stays I need to make before the end of the promotion which I was planning on doing with the new P&M but based on comments above it looks like cash bookings may be safest option.

8. Alas no Eurostar offer visible for me. (BA Amex)

• Andrew says:

Amex tend to block competitor offers on co-branded cards. E.g. no Hilton offer on SPG Amex. Eurostar competes with BA.

9. I have £1k spend at John Lewis coming up. A big purchase for me so would like to maximise points, minimise cost.

I’ve bought a gift card through a work scheme through my HSBC Premier CC for the total, with a 5% discount.

Thinking to go through Avios store for 4 points per £1.

Any other things I should consider?

• If you want hard cash back to spend in Morrisons, you could consider buying the JL cards in £50 options. You would get 6250 pts which is £6.25 off each £50 in £5 vouchers from the till. Which you can then spend on normal shopping or even the final £50 card. Either way, it’s 4.5k avios incl spend or the cash back in vouchers. Depends which you suits you ATM. They had have this promo of an extra 5k points £50 on certain GCs. Check shopper points or robs article.

• Thanks. Gutted as I’d already topped up the gift card through work. Will do my homework before taking the plunge from now on!

10. Had an email from Amex today for my PRG offering £15 credit for a £25 Amazon spend (for items sold by Amazon) if MR points are used for at least part of the cost.
    Unfortunately I can’t get it to work. I used the offer when it came out last Xmas, but presume it’s valid to use again since they emailed me about it. Have sent them a secure message to find out what’s going on.

• Stuart says:

Same here.

• Klaus-Peter Dudas says:

Is there a code for it?!

• Optimus Prime says:

I used AMEX16SWP as per a HfP article from last month. It did work for me with an Amex Plat.

• Stuart says:

This is the same code received today.

• the real harry1 says:

odd they’re sending it out again to people who have already used it…

• the real harry1 says:

I can’t part pay with points at the mo to test it, I guess that’s because I’m only a supp on the Gold currently

I’ll put my wife’s card details in later & give it a whizz

• Update from Amex: “It appears that due to a technical glitch you were unable to redeem the code” – £15 credited to my account, should appear in 2-3 days. I’ve not even made the Amazon purchase yet! Incredible customer service.

11. OT – Credit card spend

I have a £5000 bill that needs paying over the next few months so I am looking to maximise the points opportunity (sign up bonuses). Currently collecting Avios & Hilton. Already churning and referring the Amex Gold card with my partner so that is excluded. Same applies to the BAPP. Already just earned and spent a 2-4-1 so not interested in going for another one anytime soon.

Already started by applying and getting the SPG card. Being referred gets me 11,000 + 1000 for the spend = 12000. I intend to refer the other half which will get me another 5000, and she’ll get 11,000 + 1000. That’s 29K across 2 accounts. Probably transfer to Avios. That’s £2K spent already. I intend cancelling as soon as possible and getting the pro rata refund. (One account would require another 3000 points to qualify for the 5K bonus so I could transfer 6K amex points which would equate to a further 8K avios.

I was next thinking of getting the Virgin card (freebie) for 10K points, equating to 15,000 hilton points, doing the same for the other half when referred. (I know the current offer ends soon)

Both Avios and Hilton accounts can be pooled together.

Any other ideas that I may have missed?

• Alex W says:

Consider going for a Marriott travel package, the minimum requires 90,000 SPG points to transfer to 270,000 Marriott points. This gets you 7 nights hotel PLUS 120,000 miles. In addition to your SPG Amex churning, do some Amex plat churning (with the added benefit of giving you SPG/Marriott gold status). Buy the remaining SPG points you need for 35% off by Friday.

By my rough calcs this gets you about 3p per SPG point compared to the 1.25p for just converting straight to Avios. Good luck!

• Yes and if you buy one when avios are offering a bonus for converting from hotel schemes you also get a bonus on the avios.

Earlier this year 90k spg’s would have bought the 270k Marriott package and 162k avios as there was a 35% bonus on avios for converting from hotels. Seems to be an annual thing.

Also reports suggest that Marriott will allow you to pay the points difference to upgrade the package to a higher one at a later date and this even potentially extends the expiry of the cert.

• Alex W says:

Thanks. Have there been conversion bonuses to Virgin? I have more Avios than I need right now.

12. Never get these offers from Amex, but then I only have a BAPP.

13. Choons says:

morrisons had 12.5pc off JL gift cards until Father’s Day, you never know they man the promo again some time, depends on how much of a rush you are in.

14. How strict are Amex on the 6 month rule with regards to churning, cancelled my last card on the 27th Jan and am looking to take out another card to pay for hotels etc when i go away end of July, Just wondering is 6 months between cancelling and application or cancelling and activation of the card?

15. Slightly OT but I have the Amex Plat Business card and wondered if I can apply for either the Gold or Plat personal card and get the sign up MR bonus? I have done a quick search of tHFP and the Amex site but can’t see a definitive answer.

• No, sorry. The MR a coin you have is personal, not corporate, so it blocks you from the personal card bonus.

• Pity. I think that means there’s no way to get more than one MR bonus whilst keeping an MR account, instead you have to move any MR points out, close the card, wait 6 months with no MR earning cards at all and then reapply to successfully churn. Unless I’ve missed something.