IHG brings back its generous ‘Accelerate’ offer for Autumn

IHG Rewards Club, the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc loyalty scheme, has launched its new Autumn 2017 promotion – IHG Accelerate. Yes, it is repeating the Autumn 2015, Spring and Summer and Autumn 2016 and Spring and Summer 2017 offer!

But that is not a bad thing.

To be honest, during the last 18 months IHG has been the only major hotel chain offering global promotions which offer genuine outsize value.  Everyone has their own personal target but, for most of us, the challenge is pretty straightforward.

Accelerate

Here are the headline details:

IHG Accelerate (Version 7) covers stays from 1st September – so it is already running – to 31st December

All hotels are participating, including Kimpton Amsterdam (which was, despite what IHG told me, excluded from the Summer version of Accelerate)

Your bonus is personalised – you need to log in here to discover yours

This was my target for 48,100 points maximum, comprising:

• 5,000 points for a stay in September
  • 2,000 points on my next stay
  • 10,000 points for staying five nights
  • 4,000 points for booking a two-night weekend stay
  • 2,500 points for two stays booked via my corporate rate (the company I haven’t worked for in 6 years!)
  • 6,600 points for booking a Bonus Points Package
  • 2,000 points for getting the IHG credit card
  • 5,000 points for renewing my Ambassador membership
  • 11,000 points for completing six of the seven targets above, excluding the September bonus

Getting the lot could be a little tricky, to be honest, given my Autumn plans.  However, the Accelerate one is basically free points as I was going to do that anyway.  I could get 13,600 points for a one-night stay in September on a Bonus Points Package rate, so it would make sense to fit that into my schedule if possible.   Let’s see how it goes.

My wife got this one for 43,000 points:

• 3,000 points for a stay in September
  • 2,000 points on her next stay
  • 10,000 points for staying five nights
  • 3,200 points for two stays booked via the IHG app
  • 2,400 points for making a ‘points and cash’ redemption stay
  • 1,500 points for paying for a stay with her IHG credit card
  • 600 points for spending $60 on food and beverage
  • 20,300 points for completing five of the six targets above excluding the September bonus

This is an interesting one.  One cash stay in September, booked on the app with $60 spent on food and drink and the bill paid on the IHG credit card, would earn 9,500 points and tick off three of the five boxes needed for the final bonus.  It would then need either a 2nd app booked cash night or a ‘points and cash’ redemption to trigger the final chunk.

Note that if you have a target which involves meeting a certain ‘food and beverage’ spending target, this is EXCLUDING VAT for UK stays.  IHG also uses a weak exchange rate when converting your spend to US$.  If you were asked to acheive $39 of cumulative spend (£31), you actually need to spend £37 due to the 20% VAT and in reality probably need to do £40 due to the FX rate IHG uses.

A note on rebooking

Most of the time, existing bookings – ie bookings made before 1st September – made online do count for this promotion.

Last time, however, some people got an app booking target which DID specifically state that stays must be booked after the starting date.  If you have a ‘book stays via the app’ target then check the small print and be prepared to rebook.

Conclusion

As long as your target is sensible, this is highly likely to be the most generous hotel promotion you are likely to see this Autumn.  And, with four months to hit your target, you have plenty of time to make the necessary stays.

Log in to the Accelerate website here, register and see what your target is!

500-1000 bonus Avios or Amex points with £25 amazon.co.uk gift card purchase!
Bits: new Avios route to Oz with Qantas, Aer Lingus launches 'no baggage' long-haul fares

Comments

1. Hey all, I’m quite keen to hit my accelerate targets, but after recent visits to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, and living in Central London, I feel a bit citied out!
    Can anyone recommend any UK based IHG properties with lovely views, ideally somewhere well positioned for lots of lovely long hikes? Basically the IHG equivalent of the Doubletree in Sheffield that’s right near the Peak District.
    Easy to access continental Europe would do too (ie a good chance of getting a cheapish flight out on a Friday evening, and back on Sunday evening).
    Any recommendations gratefully received!

2. O/T: Do we like IHG Flights Anywhere?

• Highly unlikely to get near the 0.4p to 0.5p you should be targeting per point from a room redemption, given that gift card redemptions tend to be around 0.2p.

3. DownTheBack says:

I only had 2 stays to make in Aug to complete 3 of the Accelerate targets for last promotion, did one on 23rd-24th Aug and last one 30th-31st Aug, both stays show on my normal IHG account but the 23rd Aug stay never showed in Accelerate home page and now last quarters is gone so can’t see if the 30th Aug ever showed as now can only see this quarters. Does anybody have any experience of will they appear in my account or do I need to chase them ? it’s 52k points so don’t want to drop it.

Thanks
    DTB

4. Will a weekend at an IC using Ambassador certificate count as one or 2 nights? Looking at the booking and how it bills the second night as cash, I am guessing will count as 2 nights?

5. Craig Strickland says:

I have a ‘Get an IHG Rewards Club Credit Card’ as one of mine, a bit tricky to apply for something I already have!

6. If I need to book 2 or more rooms for same hotel / same night for a group of us, is it better to do separately or all in one booking to earn points?

• Outside North America, you only earn points for one room in your name. The only way to cash in is to get everyone to have their own IHG account, but even then the Accelerate offer for new joiners isn’t very good.

When we travel as a family we book 2 rooms (connecting if possible) but one on my account and one of my wifes.

You might do better with another chain – http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/05/18/which-hotel-schemes-let-you-earn-points-and-credit-for-multiple-rooms/

• separate accounts to take advantage of stay bonuses. two rooms in europe on the same night using the same account are supposed to post as overlapping stays, for which u’ll receive one qualifying stay and night and, for the second room, probably no points.

ian. 🙂

• Damn, I have 9 rooms booked at a Holiday Inn over the weekend for visiting family members. Guess no points windfall. Should have gone via hotels.com I suppose but needed a 1pm checkout so opted to book direct. Hopefully IHG gold will help getting this

7. I just got Stay once in 90 days to get 10k points on my monthly statement to go on top of Accelerate. Only snag, when I click to register it requires a promo code which is missing. Got to wait for customer services to come back to me.

If it all comes in I’ll get 60k points for 2 nights (total spend £105) for hotels where I’m passing the door on my usual daily running around. Can’t argue with that, best Accelerate in a long while.

8. Can I kill two birds with one stone in Accelerate? For example if I have:
    -2,000 points on my next stay
    -10,000 points for staying four nights

If my next stay is for 5 nights, do I get 12,000 points? Thanks.

9. OT (but IHG) – was excited to receive an email this evening saying if earned a free night certificate. I was hoping it was a glitch and they’d issued a second one, but no, it just took them a month to get round to emailing me about the one I already knew about!

10. pommy ray says:

does anyone know if someone were to book 29th Sept to 2nd Oct would they miss out on the monthly bonuses like:
    3,000 points for a stay in September and same for October.
    because the stay was not started and completed in one month? seems unfair!

when having more than one booking at a hotel with consecutive nights. does it matter if the room type is different or do they treat 3 one night bookings as one stay?

• I”m pretty sure they’ll be treated as one stay of one night total. IHG don’t like back to back stays at a single hotel.

• pommy ray says:

hi, yes I think you are right. but to do one stay crossing over the 2 months and getting no bonus does not seem very fair!

11. Craig Strickland says:

I hit spire today, not sure how as the website says that I am 4500 points short? In most ways it’s a good thing, it’s only taken since Feb, just shows how much time I’m spending away from home with work!

12. It’s been a long time since I had an accelerate offer that was viable, and this season’s isn’t much better – guess I gamed it too hard early on.
    Interestingly though, they seem to be bringing back the small targeted offers that used to be so lucrative back in the day (when the targeting wasn’t so good…) At first I thought mine was just a reminder of one of my accelerate targets, but it’s distinct: 5K for a stay in Sept, rising to 6K if it’s on a bonus points package (with the similar accelerate goal being 6.6K for a bonus points stay). Still not enough to warrant a mattress run, but if I do need a night somewhere this month then it makes IHG attractive. Which makes sense – accelerate’s no use to them if it drives no bookings because the goals are too demanding.

13. Please be aware that the point and cash redemption target will never court towards along with other targets which a lesson I learnt from last month.

14. After hitting 5 out of 6 in Q1 and 6 out of 7 in Q2 I decide to give it a break in Q3 and finally redeem some points in Ireland!

Point redemption value is about 0.45p while my average earning rate (a blend of paid-for business stays, my own stays and bonuses is about 0.43p, so the benefit is very marginal but still…)

15. Craig Strickland says: