Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get some cheap Avios with the Amex & Mr Porter ‘bonus Membership Rewards’ promo

American Express has been emailing selected cardholders this week with an offer from online male fashion website mrporter.com

This is what I got as a Platinum cardholder:

And here’s one more reason to shop: as an American Express Platinum Cardmember you can earn 1,000 Membership Rewards points at mrporter.com on your first purchase between 15 October and 20 November 2012 whilst also enjoying complementary shipping. Simply enter the promotional code AMEXMRPUK at checkout to redeem.

(If you are a Gold card holder, you may have had a similar deal offering 750 points.)

Now, to a points hunter like me, I want to know if I can exploit this promo to get myself some cheap Avios. And, it seems, I can!

The cheapest thing I can find on mrporter.com are some socks, eg these socks for £8.

mrporter.com is on the British Airways e-store paying 4 Avios per £1, which is currently doubled to 8 Avios per £1. So, for £8 including free postage I will receive 1,008 Membership Rewards points, 64 Avios from the e-store and a pair of loafer socks!

My guide to Membership Rewards shows that 1,008 is good for 1,008 Avios points or Virgin miles, or a range of hotel points – plus 64 e-store Avios.

It seems a decent deal for £8 to me, and my socks are already somewhere with DHL on their way to me! Note that Mr Porter sends everything by DHL, so – even for a pair of socks – they need an address where someone can sign for the package.

Comments (27)

• Ant says:

I have always ticked yes for all marketing preferences from Amex but I still do not get any offers. I currently have an Amex Preferred Rewards Gold – should i have received this offer? Thanks

• Raffles says:

Have you looked online to see what is showing as Marketing Preferences? Amex also does not send everything to everyone, Mr Porter will have gone to men primarily, I guess, and they may have looked for people who have spent over £x in clothing store for eg.

• Roger says:

I mentioned that Mrs Roger and I had spent £8 each at Mr Porter.

Very suspicious behaviour! When I got in this evening, there were two messages asking me to call AmEx at an 01273 number. When I called, they professed to know nothing about me and asked me to tell them my card number. Which card number? Any AmEx card number.

With phishing in mind, I declined and went through the regular 01293 CS number. Sure enough, they asked if I knew Mr Porter.

Gosh, 2x £8 transactions looks like fraud!

• Roger says:

I forgot to mention that the messages left by AmEx were for Richard …, not Roger. Not a confidence booster.

• Mummy55 says:

I also had a call from Amex to confirm that I had spent £8.
      It seems not to fit my spending pattern! (well you would have to add at least two zeros to buy a handbag.)

• Raffles says:

Well, I have got my socks! Easily the most overpackaged thing I have ever received, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise …!

• tangey says:

yeah….I looked at the box…ummm can this REALLY be for 1 pair of half-socks…my gawd even at £8 they didnt make a single penny on my order, when you consider the DHL next day delivery to Northern Ireland.

• gnarly says:

Free hanky. Yay!

• Roger says:

I just checked the ‘My Shopping Hisory’ link at ba.com and see my £8 purchase shows 26 Avios pending for net expenditure of £6.67.

• Ian Buckingham says:

So if I was not specifically targeted for this offer, will I not get the 1000 bonus points? I bought some rather dapper Paul Smith socks for £17. This has come through as only 17 reward points.