Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

My successful afternoon at Tesco …

I had a very successful afternoon at Tesco yesterday.

Here is Exhibit 1:

Three giftcards, total value £50. I bought these using a ‘£5 off £50 spend’ voucher that Tesco had posted to me. The ‘150 Clubcard points for spending £50 on gift cards’ promo is still running as well.

End result: £50 of giftcards and 150 Clubcard points (360 Avios) for £45 spend!

and here is Exhibit 2:

I collected 20 of these ink cartridges from the ‘Click and Collect’ desk. As per this promotion, I paid £2 each and got 200 bonus Clubcard points for every two I bought.

End result: 2,040 Clubcard points (4,896 Avios) for £40 spend!

Now, the latter – which works out at 0.82p per Avios – is not, I admit, a fantastic bargain. In fact, it is marginally above my bottom-end Avios valuation of 0.75p.

However, I am 80% certain that there will be another Tesco to Avios conversion bonus during 2013. If there is a ‘50% bonus Avios’ promotion, then my cost per Avios will fall to 0.55p, which is fine. At the very, very, very worst, I would use the vouchers in-store during a ‘double up’ promotion and get back £40.80 for my £40 spend!

I will also, at some point next year when the rush has died down, try to sell them on ebay and recoup a few pence per cartridge. It won’t be a huge amount, though, given that they only sell for £2 in Tesco and postage costs (given their thickness) will be fairly high.

So, not a bad afternoon.

Comments (11)

• idenvillage says:

personally i would return the ink cartridges, and see if the clubcard points get reveresd

• JamesQ says:

GTA worked fine in Kensington Tesco and was running until the 18th, don’t you live near there?

• Raffles says:

I do, but I wasn’t certain they had as they didn’t have Call of Duty when they did the similar offer a few months ago. So I couldn’t face the 3 stops on the tube and risking my life crossing Cromwell Road to find out for sure!

• Martin says:

Interesting that they accepted the £5 off £50 spend coupon since gift cards are explicitly excluded.

• Raffles says:

Bad wording by Tesco. Tesco gift cards are excluded from conditional spends and the coupon does reject if used on those. Fine on others. Still got one £5 off £50 to go for 2 weeks time!

• Thunderbirds says:

Raffles, perhaps the most interesting issue in this thread is your valuation of Avios. Perhaps you should start a thread so we can chip in on that…

• Rich says:

If you register for Foursquare and sync Amex, then check in at Tesco, you can also get £10 statement credit back when you spend £50, even more savings!

…then create a new account and sync other Amex cards to use multiple times 🙂

• Raffles says:

I am now working on this, I will run a post in a couple of days!

• Rich says:

Excellent! Would be good to have a concise list of places the offers are enabled for. Can’t for life of me find anything online.

You seen the Amex and XBox sync offers? £10 just for syncing, £25 statement credit when you spend £50 at Topman, carphone warehouse, Dixons etc?

• Raffles says:

Don’t have an xbox!

Apart from the small shops stores, the other FS deals seem to be Tesco, Gap, Starbucks, Harvey Nichols, Argos and, looking at the other comment, House of Fraser, HMV and Fenwick. Not necessarily all branches take part though.

I have brought forward my Foursquare post to tomorrow, so we can all go through it together then!