I tend not to cover small business credit cards on Head for Points because they don’t offer great value.
There are, for example, two British Airways American Express Corporate Cards, which I discuss in this post on the On Business loyalty scheme. They are not desperately exciting, though, and usually have no sign-up bonus.
Reader Joe (thanks!) has tipped me off about what is genuinely a fantastic offer. Amex is currently offering 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you apply for the American Express Business Gold card.
Here are the basics:
- The card carries an annual fee of £125.
- Membership Rewards points from small business cards go into a separate Membership Rewards account to any personal MR account you have.
- You need to spend £3,000 in three months to get the 40,000 Membership Rewards points
- You earn 1 point per £1 when you spend on the card
Now, the question is ‘what does Amex count as a small business?’.
Here are the qualifications from the Amex website:
“To apply for the Gold Business Card, you should be able to say yes to the following.
- I am aged 18 or over
- The company has been trading for more than one year and has a current UK Bank or Building Society account
- My personal income is over £20,000
- I have a permanent UK home address
- I/The Business have/has no County Court Judgements for non-payment of debt
- Pay annual fee of £125 (Tax deductable)
I understand that I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I have held any American Express Charge Cards in the past six months.”
What is not fully clear to me is whether the last point applies to YOU or to your COMPANY. Since this card is available to limited companies as well as sole traders, and as you need a company bank account to apply, I don’t see how the block on giving you the points if ‘you’ have any Amex Charge Cards could apply to a director, instead of the company itself. I cannot be certain of this though.
It is certainly an offer worth a look if you have your own company. If you have an Amex corporate card for your own small business, please share any experiences below.
(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)