BA sale

New Amex ‘£10 back on £35 Amazon spend’ deal – were you targetted?

Last night, many of us received emails from American Express advertising another cashback deal with Amazon.

You will receive £10 back if you spend £35 on amazon.co.uk before the end of July.

image

American Express has gone to great lengths to ensure that, this time, Head for Points readers do not take all of the 15,000 registration spots!

You can only register if you received the email.  Even then, you can only register the American Express card which is mentioned in the email.  In my case, it was my very rarely used SPG Amex.

If you did receive the email, register ASAP by clicking the button in the message.  Those 15,000 registration spots will not last long.

Remember that you do not need to buy anything now.  The easiest thing to do is to buy a £35 Amazon gift card and add the credit to your Amazon account for later in the year.  That is what I did last time with the three Amex cards I registered.

The process is very simple and only takes a few minutes:

Step 1:  Go to the Amazon UK gift card store here and order a £35 gift voucher, to be emailed to yourself

Step 2:  Remember to pay with the American Express card which you registered for this offer

Step 3:  When you e-gift card arrives, there is a link in it. Click on it and the £35 credit will be automatically deposited into your Amazon account.

Step 4:  At roughly the same time as the e-gift card arrives, you will receive an email from American Express confirming that your £10 cashback has tracked.

The credit will sit indefinitely on your Amazon account and will be applied automatically towards future orders.

The Amazon links above include our affiliate details, and Head for Points will receive a small referral commission on anything you buy.  If you intend to buy some ‘real stuff’ instead of a gift card, our link to the Amazon UK home page is here.  Thank you for your support.

(Want to earn more miles and points from credit cards?  Click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

LAST DAY: Qatar £1,000 and Turkish £750 business class flights to Asia
Got the Etihad credit card? Get a free upgrade to the Heathrow Rewards premium tier

Comments

1. James67 says:

Did you register your SPG card last time Rob? No offer for me this time but I registered and used on all my cards last time so no surprize.

2. Damn, nothing on any of my cards 🙁

3. Jason says:

I registered all 9 cards last time and I received this on my PRG card, which I registered right away.

4. AndyGWP says:

Got this on the wife’s Platinum credit card (cancelled the charge card a few weeks back)

This card also used the £10 off voucher the other week too, but hasn’t really been used much recently otherwise.

Nothing on my (very active) Gold card

5. James67 says:

Anybody know if we can buy amazon giftcards at a y of the other stores that regularly feature on amex statement credits?

• Geoggy says:

Argos sell lots of different gift cards

• Tariq says:

Didn’t see Amazon in the selection at my local Argos when I was there on Wednesday, did look like some Amex cardholders had already cleared out that store though! Shell petrol stations sell Amazon cards but that offer is over now.

• No Amazons in 2 Argos that I have visited last couple of days, not sure stocked. Best bet might be M&S giftcards where you can at least buy food or keep the other half happy.
          Shame it’s £70 not £50 as the fees on the Visa/ Amex giftcards make it a bit pointless buying them.

• mark2 says:

In my limited experience, the selection of gift cards in Argos branches varies enormously, but they have got a lot of branches!

• Best I can think of right now is to buy 3 x Visa £50 giftcards but pay with 2 different Amex cards @ £75. Might need a bit of charm but they can do this. You would pay the fees which I think are £2.95 x 3. But you’d clear £11 and then easy to use the cards on something worthwhile/ necessary. Or Amazon.

• Jason says:

The £50 card fee is £3.95 per card.

• Tom h says:

Shell offer runs to the 28th june

• Koshka says:

The Post Office sells One4all gift cards that can now be redeemed at Amazon. I bought two this week. The cards weren’t usable until the day after I bought them.

• James67 says:

Thanks, great tip. Still have my 6x post office purchases to make so that’s another free £30 towards my amazon purchase. Thanks to others allso for feedback.

6. Imbruce says:

Amazon gift cards are available at Sainsbury’s and you can get Nectar points to.

7. Did not manage to register last time and no email this time. I would love to know how they decide who to target!

8. mark2 says:

My wife received an invitation on her rarely used BAPP card, but nothing on my much used cards, which makes sense when you think about it.

• Jason says:

My offer was on my gold Amex , which I have been using a lot recently, and had redeemed the previous Amazon offer last week.

9. Volker says:

No Amazon discount for me. I received an (obviously targeted) email instead telling me that I will be able to use my BMI Amex for Apple Pay later this year. Will that give me some consolation? :/

10. Raymond Hennessy says:

No offer here. How would Amex know the last offer was taken by HFP readers ?

• They are no doubt well aware that some people got multiples of the same offer.

We got 5 but that was modest 🙂

So the targeting stops this happening & is also a better way to invest marketing funds.

HFP? Amex will be certain to follow HFP as it gives them good intel.

• James67 says:

Perhaps they have not yet sent out 15000 emails, could be getting done in batches.

• RIccati says:

I sincerely doubt it is a better way to invest marketing budget or a good marketing at all.

AMEX went to great lengths to ensure they their regular good spenders not get a reward but an occasional person get a chance to wander into deal (who would otherwise not look for them).

What they thinking, because they gave an extra tenner that person’s awareness of AMEX card shoots up and they suddenly find extra several hundreds of expenditure to put on a card?

• I can see from the 3,750 email addresses on the mailing list who reads this – I know exactly how many people with an avios.com email address are on there, for example!

11. I was targetted and Amazon also have a 4 for 3 offer at the moment and I need two of the items listed …..