Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Excellent deal with E.ON for power – and get 1,500 Clubcard points (3,600 Avios)

Back in May I ran an introduction to earning Clubcard points with gas and electricity provider E.ON.  E.ON is one of the lesser known Tesco Clubcard partners. This is because, since the end of 2013, you do NOT earn Tesco Clubcard points directly from them.

E.ON has its own rewards scheme – E.ON Rewards – and it is those points which can be converted into Tesco Clubcard.

The other reason it is low key is that E.ON Rewards is an ‘opt in’ scheme. If you don’t sign up, you don’t earn any points, even though E.ON is supplying your fuel.

E.ON

E.ON Rewards is simplicity itself. You can find an introduction to the scheme here.

You earn a capped 1,500 E.ON Rewards points per year for being on an eligible electricity or dual fuel tariff

Points accrue daily and are awarded monthly

You can either transfer these to Tesco Clubcard (1:1, no minimum) or for Bonusbond high street shopping vouchers (500 = £5 voucher)

Points expire after two years if not redeemed

Points do NOT transfer automatically. You need to go onto the E.ON Rewards website to move them across.

As you can see, E.ON appears to be quietly hoping that many customers either fail to opt-in to the scheme or, if they do, forget about it and let their points expire!

Why you may want to sign up with E.ON now

1,500 Clubcard points per year is worth 3,600 Avios or 3,750 Virgin Flying Club miles. Given the size of the most gas and electricity bills, however, this is a drop in the ocean. Your priority should be to find the cheapest supplier and only then, if it is E.ON, take the points into account.

At the moment, however, E.ON is VERY competitive for most people.

As you can read about here, moneysavingexpert.com has signed up with E.ON to organise a ‘bulk switch’.  What this means is that – in return for getting an exclusive, exceptionally competitive, tariff from E.ON – MSE will try to get as many of its millions of readers as possible to switch.

You have until September 17th to sign up for this tariff.  The MSE site here can show you how the tariff compares to what you are currently paying and what else is available on the market.

As well as negotiating this exclusive tariff, MSE will pay you £30 cashback once you have switched.

You will also earn 1,500 Clubcard points over the next year if you choose to convert your E.ON Rewards points to Tesco – and those points will get you 3,600 Avios or 3,750 Virgin Flying Club miles.

Comments (73)

• Liz says:

OT: Does anyone know how long it takes for Pay.com to verify your identity. I sent all my documents in more than 2 weeks ago and I’ve not heard anything since and my account is still suspended?

• mark2 says:

you should hear soon.
      In the meantime open a new account using a different email addre

• Liz says:

I did that and it is almost full too! Might need to go for a 3rd if I don’t hear soon – I sent them an email to find out what is happening.

• cheekychappie says:

And it costs money. They are a bit stupid not to accept scans of docs, it just encourages people to find a way around

• Reney says:

I sent mine the week before the bank holiday and for about a week emailed back and forth and they said they never got it. I sort of given up on them. Really annoyed as I paid for the post office to verify my documents. And my source of pay.com is drying up so it was pretty pointless really!

• Peter K says:

I sent my docs in and they got returned by royal mail saying “gone away”!

• Worzel says:

A well-timed article Rob, thank-you. Like you, we’re signed up with the Cheap Energy Club and are doing OK.
    We’re off to warmer climes in a couple of weeks, for a couple of weeks, and for sure it’ll be cool on our return home-so, time to locate Mrs Gummidge’s Michelin suit, Ruskie hat and furry boots!! 🙂 .

• Charlie says:

I’m already with EON and my 1 yr fix is coming to an end this month, the MSE Collective Fix beats the fixed rates that EON were offering me by about £100 for the year! Thanks Rob.

• cheekychappie says:

Went for a 10 mile hike with my sons today, popped into Tesco on the way to get sandwiches – full rack of pay.coms 🙂

Just need to feed them to OVO then I will switch again.

Grand should be enough.

• Andrew M says:

Can anyone confirm that OVO refund to your bank account when you switch to another provider? I have a large credit balance with OVO and it would be catastrophic if they refunded it to the individual pay.com cards!

• David Barron says:

Does anyone know of a branch of Tesco in the north east which stocks pay.com cards? Every time I shop in the Newcastle Extra store at Kingston Park (which ironically is their largest store in the country) and they never have any. Instead just the old style 3V cards which have additional fees.

The only place I’ve ever seen a pay.com was in a local branch of Morrisons but obviously that won’t earn me any bonus Tesco points!! I was half tempted to pick up the cards in Morrisons and take them to buy/validate in Tesco. No idea if that would work but either way no doubt would be frowned upon!!!

• cheekychappie says:

3v cards are same as pay.coms

• Rich says:

The little Tesco Metro by Eldon Square often has them.

In any case, now that Fuel Save has ended at Tesco, Morrissons is a pretty good deal.

• David Barron says:

Thanks. Will try next time I’m passing

• David Barron says:

Would rather have the bonus clubcard points rather than Morrisons fuel save (150 points for each multiple of £50)

• cheekychappie says:

Really?

£1000 @ Morrisons = £60 of free fuel

£1000 @ Tesco = 3000 TCC points = 7200 Avios

Can’t see there’s much in it. Particularly as you can’t avoid filling up but you might already have plenty of Avios in the bank.

• David Barron says:

Very rarely go to Morrisons to be honest. Always preferred Tesco. Since devaluation of Avios I collect Virgin Miles and am needing to boost my points for family trip stateside next year! Given cash price vs points will save me a couple of thousand pounds easily then Tesco is what works better for me! Thanks though

• Peter Taysum says:

I’ve asked at Kingston Park, have tried the Extra in Gateshead, the extra on the way to the coast and Durham. Customer services (online) advised me to ask customer services in store to order them. They stated that they are available to order. I then gave negative feedback, that I couldn’t buy what I wanted, via survey they sent, and they got in touch saying “we’re really sorry, but we’re not going to do anything about it, go to the store and ask them to order them”.

If we all ask, might they do something?

• cheekychappie says:

The problem is: Tesco is not really in charge of the stock, the card racks are serviced/ replenished by another company.

• David Barron says:

Worth asking as shy bairns get nowt as they say in Newcastle! Thanks

• robstaaaar says:

Hi all. My first post – Here goes: Loads of Pay.com cards at Tesco Extra, Cheshunt (Brookfield)

• cheekychappie says:

Deadline for EON is on Thursday

• cheekiechappie says:

Deadline is today 10pm.

I decided to switch as although I am on a competitive tariff, the fixed deal here actually represents a £184 improvement on my current bill, so despite the 12 month tie-in (which I dislike) – I couldn’t really decline the opportunity.

It is by far the cheapest fixed deal in the UK if you include the incentives.