Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: BA launches new route to Bremen, £100 off £800 Emirates spend, add an avatar to your HFP comments

News in brief:

British Airways launching two new routes to Bremen, Germany

It is ironic that British Airways runs a major call centre in Bremen but did not fly there.  All of this will be fixed from 31st October when BA franchise SUN-AIR launches new services from London City Airport and Manchester.

Using a 32 seat Dornier 328 aircraft, there will be 10 flights per week from London City and 11 per week from Manchester.  Ticket sales were due to begin yesterday but there seems to have been a delay.

If nothing else, this would make a good Avios redemption to visit the famous Christmas market:

Bremen Christmas market British Airways

£100 off £800 Emirates spend

A new American Express cashback offer has popped up on a lot of accounts.  To see if you have it, log in to your online statement and click on ‘Offers’.

You will receive £100 cashback when you use your American Express card to spend £800 with Emirates before 6th November.  Flights must depart from the UK and be booked on the UK Emirates site here.

This should work when paying the taxes on an Emirates Skywards redemption as well as buying a standard cash ticket.  Thanks to Rosina.

Emirates A380

Add an avatar when commenting on Head for Points

As it is the weekend, I want to take a minute to explain one feature of the site you can use but most people do not.

You probably noticed, when reading the comments to a post, that my comments have the HFP logo next to them. Some other posters also have their own avatars which appear by their comments.

If you have an existing avatar that you use on other forums, or if you would like to create one, you can easily use it on Head for Points and many other blogs.

The process is simple. What you need to do is go to http://en.gravatar.com/ and create an account using your email address. You can then upload your avatar to Gravatar, by going to ‘Add an Image’ under ‘My Account’.

Gravatar is integrated into WordPress, which hosts the majority of blogs globally, so there is nothing else you need to do.  As long as you give the same email address in your comments that you use with Gravatar, your image will automatically appear next to your comments in the future.

You can also, if you wish, add details of your own website, twitter feed etc to your Gravatar profile. It will then appear to anyone who hovers over your avatar or clicks on it.

Feel free to post a test comment under this post if you want to try it out!  Your avatar is active immediately once you have registered.

Comments (80)

• JP says:

Ref Bremen.

“Ticket sales were due to begin yesterday but there seems to have been a delay”

Avios seats were loaded on the evening of the 1st Sep, only 2 seats available per flight. I have booked a weekend in Dec, Friday and Sunday availability wont last long.

• Stuart says:

Has the schedule been published for Bremen somewhere, I can’t see one or a press release. I have regularly trips to Germany and this would make life a lot easier

• Stuart says:

Thanks

• Roger says:

Rob/Others,

Any views on using Trailfinders offer of £200 off £1000 spend.
    I was thinking about buying TF gift card but it seems GCs are excluded as per T&Cs.

I have an upcoming trip to NZ next year (coutrtesy secreftflying – £317.50 pp), can possibly use for that but I would rather not book until early next year at the least, just in case TG cancelled my flights.

• Nick says:

Sorry, O:T, I’ll be at Birmingham International on the 22nd and have the option of 2 lounges via my priority pass. There’s 2 lounges, Aspire and Birmingham No1 lounge I think. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on which one is best. I’ll be at the airport around 1pm.

• TGLoyalty says:

Both are pretty nice surroundings would say the No. 1 is better as more choice of drinks but they have used the prebooking only excuse when using a PP in the past. Another member says this is waived if you pre buy a glass of Champagne each so atleast you are getting something for your extra money.

• Rob says:

I doubt it is an excuse – why turn down £10 or so from PPass?

• TGLoyalty says:

Well it looked pretty empty from the desk, you can a fair amount of the lounge.

Aspire was also pretty empty but was stopping ‘large’ groups unless pre booked

• Rob says:

No 1 is the lounge of choice for most long haul airlines. I know that Gatwick South and North have a lot of major contracts which account for a lot of their capacity. Due to capacity constraints, if there is a risk of, say, 50 Cathay Pacific passengers turning up who must be allowed in then they will restrict numbers in the run up to that period.

• Cormac says:

Last week both lounges tried to tell me they were full and asked did I pre-book. I prefer the No 1 lounge, and so go to that first – I asked if were they joking as there were clearly loads of empty seats – the assistance shrugged. When I tried the Aspire lounge and got the same answer I was a bit firmer, and the supervisor relented. As it happened, I was early for a flight that was subsequently delayed so the free beer was useful to pass the time.

• Tariq says:

I used the No1 Last Monday night around 7pm. Wasn’t too busy and food and drink was good.

• mec says:

Can you really make money on a 32-seater flight? Won’t be surprised if it goes away quickly.

• Leo says:

The OTs in the other threads are going a bit berserk today. I wish people would try and use the Bits article if they want to go off thread.

• Peter K says:

O/T Has anyone had the extra £20 on their Moneycorp Explorer card yet?