Peak season BA World Traveller Plus to Middle East from £422!

We don’t feature many World Traveller Plus deals on Head for Points, mainly because there aren’t many of them around, but this one is worth a look.

Courtesy of Flyertalk, some interesting British Airways fares from Amsterdam to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat in World Traveller Plus have been spotted.

Whilst you will need to travel to Amsterdam to start your trip, you do NOT need to return there.  You can book the return directly back to London, or with a connection to Glasgow, Manchester or any other BA domestic destination.

(For absolute clarity – you must take the first flight from Amsterdam.  Your ticket will be cancelled immediately if you don’t.)

Atlantis Dubai

You obviously don’t get a flat bed with World Traveller Plus.  However, at least with the Dubai route, you can book yourself on a day flight in both directions so it isn’t so painful.

As well as getting an excellent fare, these trips will earn 180 tier points (90 + 90) for the World Traveller Plus legs, plus another 5 or 10 depending on what the Amsterdam leg books into.

Here is a typical Dubai fare which comes out at €557 (£515) – click to enlarge:

rsz_screenshot_2017-08-27_222756

Muscat in Oman is even cheaper at €457 (£422):

rsz_screenshot_2017-08-27_223948

Bookings these is a bit complex, unfortunately.

Step 1 – visit ba.com and, on the home page, click ‘Multicity / Stopover’

Step 2 – on that booking page, put in ‘Amsterdam to (your choice of) Dubai / Muscat / Abu Dhabi’ as flight 1

Step 3 – put in ‘(your choice from) Dubai / Mucat / Abu Dhabi to (your choice from) London / Glasgow / Manchester etc’ as flight 2 – note that you must be away over a Saturday night

Step 4 – on the next page, you will see various flight combinations shown.  The snag is that these are not priced.  All you can do is play around with them to try to get a price near to €500-€550

As per the comments, what you can do to make it easy to find the cheap dates is to search initially for a return from and to Amsterdam. This will show the individual price for each leg. If you can get a return for around €600-€700 it should drop to €450-€550 when you use ‘multi-city’ and return to London.

I can’t find the full fare rules because I cannot replicate this fare in the ITA Matrix tool.  This means that I don’t know how long you have to book, and I don’t know what periods you can travel in.  Which is helpful.

However, if you’re looking for some Middle Eastern sun this Autumn the deal is worth a look.  Pop over to ba.com and have a play around.

PS.  If you want a hotel deal, here is our review of the Hilton Salalah Resort in Oman, a resort which is only 5,000 Hilton Honors points per night!

Should you convert Clubcard, Amex, Heathrow, HSBC points to Avios on receipt?
Last call for these deals which expire on 31st ....

Comments

1. Hi Rob,

I thought it was 180 TPs (90+90).

A

2. The WTP legs book into T.
    Fare basis to MCT is TLNCSALE (book by 21 Sept, for travel from 20 Aug to 25 June).
    Coming back is TLRC1UK or similar depending on the return route (that code is for MCT which was book by 31 Aug, for travel from 15 July to 11 Dec, AUH had book by 29 Aug for travel from 10 Sept to 11 Dec).
    So the return leg is the more restrictive one.

Depending on the date, other European cities may be cheaper than AMS – e.g. I tried for a week at the end of November and CPH was the cheapest originating city to MCT at 468 EUR.

• AMS-MCT-LON in March is pricing up at €507.06; WTP legs book into T, the ET leg into K.

3. How easy is it to get from Muscat to Salalah ?

• Very easy. Plenty of flights each day on Oman Air. its about a 1hr 30 min flight

• Thinking of the Hilton Salalah?

• Worth it – that was my review from a couple of years ago… there was also a big development ongoing nextdoor which is probably complete?

4. Boddingtons says:

Be aware that the cost of a tourist visa has now jumped to £40 on arrival in Oman for a 30 day entry.

The £10 visa for 14 days has been scrapped!

• More accurately it is 20 OMR which is pegged to 52 USD, who knows where the £ exchange rate is going to go.

However if you fly directly from Dubai (not the rest of the UAE!) and apparently, Qatar (which is now completely visa-free for ~99% of HFP readers), your Dubai or Qatar “visa” is also valid for Oman.

So if you want to avoid the Oman visa fee, you could pay the 100 euros extra (from the example screenshots) to fly into Dubai, which might be worth it if you also wanted to go to Dubai.

The Royal Oman Police have screwed up their website so I can’t verify this.

5. roberto says:

These fares have been flitting about for a few weeks. Last month I booked Malaga-London-Dubai in WTP with Iberia (on all Ba metal) for £316 pp.

Going in November and will get just over 12500 avios back as well as 205 TP.

• Yes, that Malaga fare has been around for a bit but seemed too much trouble TBH.

• Roberto says:

Not if you live in Malaga 🙂
        I routed via Madrid on the way out so I could get the winter 787 on the MAD-LHR leg but could only find the 777 on the days I wanted.

Oh and its hammering down here in Andalucía..

• I booked the same on BA but from Madrid then back to Man for 505 Euro’s.

Those fares not around anymore. But I also did Madrid to LAX in WTP for 778 Euro’s back in March.

6. Love Oman/Muscat – very chilled out

• the real harry1 says:

the only ME destination I would consider…

• Jordan’s pretty great too. Petra, Wadi Rum, Jerash…trip of a lifetime.

• I like the “Turkish Republic of” northern Cyprus, if that counts as ME

• Jordan is beautiful. Just don’t go in the winter unless you like the cold.

• Michael Jennings says:

There are lots of great things to see in the Levantine countries – Jordan is full of magnificent things to see, as are Israel and Lebanon, although one needs more than one passport to easily do all this. I’m pretty indifferent to the Gulf countries, though. Dubai, Qatar, and Abu Dhabi I pass through as quickly as possible. People say Muscat is nice, so hopefully I will get there some time soon.

• Thanks Matt. Going there for week’s tour in October using 241 Club World seats.

7. OT what’s a reasonable amount of time for clubcard to virgin transfers to take? I transferred some last Wednesday but they still haven’t shown up in my virgin account. I’m sure when I’ve done it before they appeared overnight.

8. Anything to TLV/BEY?

9. Aspirational Flyer says:

As an alternative you can also fly business class from Milan for about £1060. Perhaps not quite as obvious a deal, but 320 tier points (80 + 240), more avios and certainly more comfortable. Seats available on the 787 too, which is a bonus. That said, if you have status, I think WTP is a very good compromise between price and comfort on US East Coast and Middle East flights. I got a solid 5.5 hours sleep on my last flight back from Abu Dhabi.

10. To find these prices, surely it’s easier to price it up as a simple return from Amsterdam, then use the multi city search when you know what’s flights it’s available on.

Looking at Muscat on a couple of sample days, it would price up at €545 return to and from Amsterdam, then drop by around €100 when putting the same flights in the multi city search without the final leg back to Amsterdam.

11. Do you reckon you can upgrade these WTP fares to business with a GUF2 voucher?

12. James123 says:

OT

What fare class does a sale ET ticket go to if I upgrade on the app to Club Europe, and how flexible would the ticket become, imgoing to be quite tight for time on the flight I’m booked on. I think all CE tickets can be changed on the day of travel, but does this apply if you’ve upgraded, and how long before flight take off do you have to change it by?

• Looks like it books into “U” which is the redemption class for business. Both times I’ve done this (one online via MMB and one at airport) I’ve had to call to get correct Avios and TPs. I’ve got the lower rate of Avios for Club Europe (the R/I rate at 100% of miles flown). No idea about flexibility, sorry.

13. Looking at other departure points for March 2018 and going to MCT, I think the lowest prices seem to be from AMS, GVA and LIN – at least for the dates I’ve been playing about with…

14. Unable to choose Holland as a country of departure….

15. ah…also called Netherlands……..

16. the real harry1 says:

Not many people report back here from Dubai & Qatar wishing they hadn’t gone there after all

let’s face it – very poor destinations vs Europe

too ashamed to admit a big waste of money & time?

• Sussex bantam says:

Or, alternatively, maybe people actually enjoyed themselves ?? I know we did

• James matt says:

Couldn’t agree more. Horrible places and equally arrogant and rascist locals, when they step out of their state funded vehicles

• I can be very critical of Dubai, and do often describe it as the worst place I’ve been to, however…

As I’m into F1 I think the November GP in Abu Dhabi followed by a few nights in Dubai is a great was to spend a week in the sun when it’s otherwise miserable in Blighty.

Depends what you look for in a holiday and that can mean different things to different people and different things at different times of the year.

17. Are these fares eligible for upgrade with avios to CW?

18. Also re upgrade, would they be eligible for Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher? Thanks in advance.

• No, the Lloyds voucher isn’t an upgrade voucher per se – it’s more a ‘discount’ voucher. You have to make a full Avios redemption and with the voucher just pay the Avios for one class lower (can’t be used for CW to F though)

19. is it possible to travel PE to Dubai and then Business back, can i search for this via the BA website?
    if so, how pls? PE return fare at £550 is appealing but there maybe a BA sale come Sept so prices may also reduce further!