News in brief:
Priority Pass unveils its lounges of the year
Based on votes cast by 72,000 Priority Pass members, the results are – to put it mildly – a little eclectic.
The overall winner is Club Kingston at Jamaica’s Kingston Norman Manley International Airport. With, apparently, a decidedly Jamaican flair, the lounge features artwork and décor sourced from across the island, as well as local food and drink including traditional Jamaican patties and pea soup – all served to a gentle soundtrack of reggae music and with signature cocktails created by the resident bartender.
Closer to home, Tallinn Airport Business Lounge at the Lennart Meri Airport Tallin, Estonia has been crowned Best Lounge in Europe, closely followed by La Valette Club in Malta International Airport. Tallinn’s Airport Business Lounge aims to live up to the airport’s promise of being ‘the world’s cosiest airport’. Features include a massage chair and sleeping pods, a library where travellers can select an in-flight read, a curated selection of local food, beer, wine and spirits, a warming fireplace and an outdoor terrace.
The full list of winners is:
- Overall Winner: Club Kingston at Kingston Norman Manley International
- Overall Winner: Tallinn Airport Business Lounge at Lennart Meri
- Highly Commended: La Valette Club at Malta International
Africa & Middle East
- Overall Winner: Ahlan Business Class Lounge at Dubai International
- Highly Commended: Dilmun Lounge at Bahrain International
- Overall Winner: SATS Premier Lounge, T2 at Singapore Changi International
- Highly Commended: Strata Lounge at Auckland International
- Overall Winner: Salon VIP Lounge at Québec Jean Lesage International
- Highly Commended: The Club MCO at Orlando FL International
Latin America & The Caribbean
- Highly Commended: Aeroportos VIP Club at Brasilia J. Kubitschek International
Best Business Facilities
- Overall Winner: The Club MCO at Orlando FL International
- Highly Commended: Ahlan Business Class Lounge at Dubai International
Best Quality of Refreshments
- Overall Winner: Turkish Airlines Lounge Washington at Washington D.C. Dulles International
- Highly Commended: VIP Lounge (East) at Guadalajara Miguel Hidalgo International
Best Attitude and Service from Lounge Staff
- Winner: The Club BWI at Baltimore/Washington MD International
- Highly Commended: Plaza Premium Lounge at Siem Reap Angkor International
easyJet adds four new routes from London Southend
easyJet has announced that it will open four new routes to Bordeaux, Prague, and Dubrovnik and Pula in Croatia from London Southend Airport in 2018.
Bordeaux will start on 25th July and operates three times a week. Prague starts on 27 July and will be twice weekly. The two Croatian routes (Dubrovnik, starts 28th July and Pula, starts 27th July and pictured above) will also operate twice weekly.
I had a day out at London Southend last year (read here) and was pleasantly surprised by what I found – if you work in the City or Canary Wharf, with easy access to the airport trains, it is worth considering.