Qatar Business Class

Bits: Club Eurostar competition winner, free Wilbur & Orville from Virgin, 30% ‘buy Avios’ bonus

News in brief:

Are you our Club Eurostar competition winner?

Last week we ran a competition in association with Club Eurostar to celebrate the launch of their new loyalty program.

One lucky reader got to win 5,000 Club Eurostar points – enough for two Standard Premier tickets to any destination, with GUARANTEED availability via the new ‘Anytime’ reward – plus top tier Carte Blanche status for one year.

We can now announce that this lucky person is:

Gokyar B.

Congratulations!  Club Eurostar will be in touch to sort out your points and status upgrade.

Free Wilbur and Orville from Virgin Atlantic this Christmas

Somewhere in our kitchen is a Virgin Atlantic ‘Wilbur and Orville’ salt and pepper set.

I stole this from a Virgin Atlantic flight in, I guess, 1997 when I was doing some banking work in Johannesburg.  The fact that we still have it, and that after 20 years I still think of Virgin Atlantic whenever I see it, shows the value of smart marketing.

Anyone flying Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic between 21st and 26th December will get their own ‘Wilbur and Orville’ salt and pepper set to take home.  These come in ‘festive red’ which may or may not be an improvement on the usual silver and black!

30% bonus when you buy Avios via Iberia Plus

If you are in need of a final Avios top-up before the end of the year, Iberia Plus has launched another bonus.

This is not hugely generous so don’t jump in unless you intend to spend them immediately.  Until 31st December:

• Buy between 2,000 and 15,000 Avios, get a bonus of 10%
  • Buy between 20,000 and 45,000 Avios, get a bonus of 20%
  • Buy between 50,000 and 100,000 Avios, get a bonus of 30%

Remember that your Iberia Plus account needs to be 90 days old before you will be allowed to transfer Avios out of it and into British Airways Executive Club or avios.com.

The Iberia ‘buy Avios’ page is here.  You may need to log in to see the bonus.

Bits: New HMRC card fees, Hilton sale, BA long-haul 'no suitcase' fares looking inevitable
REGISTER NOW for Starwood's new Spring 2018 promotion

IHG Your Rate

Comments

1. Prins Polo says:

Salt and pepper set for everyone…? Not just 25D?

• Intentionally Blank says:

Yup: On the bottom they are marked “Stolen from Virgin Atlantic”

Tongue in cheek, but, still a great marketing ploy 🙂

Rob, is your set metal?

• Seems so. Reader just emailed me from the First lounge at Heathrow after he swapped to 25D on my advice 🙂

• ankomonkey says:

Did he win First lounge access or had it already? If the former then that’s a decent result! I’ve moved myself to 25D for a flight next week following the article.

• the real harry1 says:

it seems Raffles is up to 3 or 4 already got into First lounge already 🙂

puts sitting near the toilets with a paltry glass of Champagne into perspective

• ankomonkey says:

Based on @BlueLabel’s and trh1’s comments I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Never used a BA First Lounge (but lots of Galleries Club). Was planning to use Amex Plat for the new T5 third party lounge.

• the real harry1 says:

I think he already hit 8+ 🙂

• BlueLabel says:

Long time reader, first time poster… our family of 4 got invited into T3 First Lounge today b4 flight to PRG. Thanks for tip to book 25D Raffles! No sign of champers on the flight but we didn’t mind that

• You should have asked, so put in a complaint form! You never know, you might get 10k avios! As compo…

2. Slightly OT but avios related, I just upgraded my WT+ ticket to CW Lon-nyc and it was only 12000avios and not 24000Avios! Not sure if it’s an error or an avios sale.

3. OT any tips on how to register for Club eurostar on amex rewards getting the same error we used to get when registering Starwoods A/C when entering account number

4. I had 446 taken away last night, presumably from Waitrose as that is the only place I use it. A friend lost over 2000. Not sure what I am meant to have ‘returned’ to Waitrose …

• I had a few thousand cancelled too over a few weeks, all small orders made 6 months earlier. It was around the time of the website changes so put it down to that but I haven’t bothered with them since.