Coming at 1.01pm – a big hotel loyalty announcement

I have been sent, under embargo, some big news about changes to one of the major hotel loyalty schemes.

It isn’t the end of the world, by any means, but if you pop back after 1.01pm today (Monday) you will discover some changes to one of the major programmes.  And, for many of you, you won’t like them much, although it isn’t all bad news.

In the meantime, to fill the space in this article, here is a video of a chimpanzee gorilla falling over:

Hilton Honors cuts points for low stayers, boosts them for top stayers and kills 'points and miles'
Four regional BA weekend routes offering 160 tier points

Comments

1. moham aham says:

must be a marriott devaluation. probably an increase in points per category

2. moham aham says:

i’m feeling dizzy watching the chimp..

3. There’s not long been a change with Hilton, so wouldn’t they have made all of their changes at the same time? Why improve it only to then ‘enhance’ it a couple of months later?

4. Is that chimp’s leg tied up?

5. The only ones I really use are IHG and Hilton, and I am winding down Hilton use since I lost my BA GGL status (which gave me Hilton Diamond), so it would only really bother me if it was IHG. We already know that some redemption prices are due to go up with IHG, so unless there are other changes at the same time as that increase I think (hope!) I’m fairly safe.

• I too am winding down my Hilton use as well as Sadly, I think I will lose my Diamond status in the next few months. I will most likely move everything over to SPG/Marriott.

6. david dickson says:

Can’t login to Marriott website at moment:

Message says “We are making changes to our website. If you are experiencing any issues, please contact us or go to the previous version of Marriott.com.”

• Just logged in ok.

• But thanks!

Just realised my points are due to expire in a couple of weeks. I’ll find out at 13.01 if it’s worthwhile buying some to top up as all my Marriott stays last year were heavily discounted flight+hotel deals via Expedia.

7. I’m ~100pts from a Marriott Travel Package – worth transferring for the category below and paying a top-up after the fact just in case?

• Genghis says:

It’s always worth buying the lower category for flexibility which costs you nothing.

• Thanks Genghis – I always forget that. Just booked it as a precaution – and the agent I spoke to didn’t let on anything about changes despite my gentle probing – so maybe not related to TPs / agents not trained yet.

8. No sign of my Hilton stay wheel yet on the App, so with all their status matching I reckon…

9. Sebastian says:

It is going to be Marriott as the partnership with SPG has created too big of a honeypot.

• Speaking of Marriott, got my first-ever Marriott stay coming up in a couple of weeks, in Asia. No Marriott status yet. Have got SPG Gold. Should I link accounts now and then try asking Marriott for a Platinum challenge?

• Czechoslovakia says:

You should automatically get gold with Marriott when linking your spg gold?

• Yes, link your accounts and you will get Marriott Gold automatically. Sufficiently good benefits & recognition unless you really want Platinum for a specific reason.

10. New Card says:

OT – FYI Rob the Amex judgment of the Court of Justice of the EU re interchange fees etc is due 7 Feb

11. Oh Rob you’re such a tease 😛

Whatever the changes I’m sure that HfP’ers will rise to the challenge and still get the best value out of them.