Qatar Business Class

Big changes to Tesco Clubcard – with no notice – as many redemptions dropped or cut in value

Tesco announced a pile of changes to the Clubcard scheme yesterdayWe have covered these in detail on Shopper Points today – click here.  We covered them for The Guardian as well – see here.

In general, the changes are bad.

Some little-used ‘two times’ deals will now give 3x face value, but a lot more deals which used to give 4x face value are dropping to 3x.  This mainly impacts restaurant and days out vouchers.

Big changes to Tesco Clubcard with no notice

From a travel perspective, it is actually positive to neutral:

National Express, Megabus and redspottedhanky.com (train tickets) credit now gets you 3x the face value of your Clubcard vouchers, up from 2x

There is no change to the Avios or Virgin Flying Club conversion rates

You have also gained Uber and hotels.com as new 3x face value redemption partners this year.  Uber is now my preferred redemption as we use it heavily and it is a genuine ‘3x’ value.  If I took Avios instead I would be giving up £3 of Uber for every 240 Avios I earned which means I would be ‘paying’ 1.25p per Avios – and I don’t value them at that.

To do this without ANY notice at all stinks, however.  It particularly stinks that we are just 9 days from the end of the current Clubcard collection quarter.  People have 10 weeks of points locked up inside Clubcard which cannot now be spent at the old 4x redemption rate.

What benefits does the Heathrow Rewards Premium tier get you?
Changes may be coming to American Express sign-up bonuses

Comments

1. Maria J says:

Hi my husband has just closed his Amex Platinum and need to decide what to do with the Amex Rewards? Which program is best to transfer to? Thank you

2. no more churning will mean I no longer use AMEX. the sign up bonuses are a huge incentive – Will avoid due to the £140 annual charge on the gold card and without a viable way to earn AVIOS to make a 2-4-1 worth the £195 there is no point.

it will mean plenty of redemption availability for those with lots of avios earned through work but the hobbyist looking to get club world or first flights on the cheap are out of the game.

• I wonder if there has been any pressure from BA/OneWorld? It would be natural for them to want to limit loyalty perks to the people who spend the most money with them, which is not the same as those who spend most money on Amex cards.

3. I was under the impression that Avios had changed the rules and that – even if there was no WTP cabin – they pretended their was? This is why the BA1 London City ‘all business’ service is now bookable.

• Rob – I was able to do this using the Avios call centre a few months back – unless it’s changed since then?

• roberto says:

Avios would not let me use the lloyds voucher on Ba1 from LCY when I called a couple of months back. I hung up and phoned back a few days later and got the same news.

• Genghis says:

When I last checked you can price it up online.

• Yes – the system charges a notional WTP 40,000 avios each way for using this route.

4. It’s the flights that use the mid haul ex bmi 321’s – mainly middle eastern routes
    From the top of my head it’s:
    – tel aviv
    – Cairo
    – Amman
    – Beirut
    – Moscow

5. Can I ask a sort of related question here please? With the 10K bonus MR points for a £15K spend on an Amex Gold card, are these only payable if you “renew” (i.e. pay the second year’s membership fee) or if you cancel before then is there anyway of getting hold of this too? Hope that makes sense?!

• Genghis says:

The 10k bonus will be paid a month or so after your anniversary date so you will have to pay the £140 fee (refundable pro-rata).

• You get the points after 4 weeks. You can then cancel and get a pro-rata refund, so roughly £128 of your £140 will come back. As your Lounge Pass reloads with another 2 visits you may want to keep it for longer until you’ve used those.

• Thanks. Have hit target but still have another six months until renewal. Based on the original article it sounds better to hold on to it rather than cancel card and get a referral (for a bonus which may or may not exist) in six months time…

• Wait till the points post around 6 weeks after year end and you get a pro rata refund on the £140 2nd year fee.

6. Erm… does the referrer get the points bonus even if the referred person has had the card within the last 6 months and is ineligible for their own bonus? I had always assumed both bonuses depended upon the 6 month gap, but now I’m wondering if the referrer’s bonus doesn’t since they might not know the situation of the person they’re referring?

• Valid question. The T&Cs make no mention re: the referred must not have held the card in the past 6 months for the referral bonus to be paid out.

• I’ve referred MrCate from my plat for a SPG card although he recently cancelled his (Nov I think) and I was credited with 18mr.

7. Combatjohnny says:

I guess I am probably in a much lower spending bracket than most people on this site so a change in the rules would definitely hit me hard. I haven’t even been in the churning game a year let either!

• Lewis King says:

Been in the game a bit over a year but definitely not a big spender by any means either. This would be very disappointing, but I have had one first class redemption to Mumbai and another soon to New York so I’ll have had my fair share of rewards if it does all change! The continued downward trend on prices for tickets is making reward flights less valuable too.

8. O/T – does anyone have any experience of tight Doha layover times? Booked 2 pax HEL-BKK and the return has a 8 hour and 15 min layover. If I sort the hotel out and then Qatar decide to make the second leg 16 minutes earlier do I lose my hotel? And if so, would oneworld status make any difference?

• I think once the hotel is booked you’ll be fine. However, for clarity, be sure there is no possible combination of flights which could reduce the gap to less than 8 hours. If there are, you don’t get the hotel.

• Chris Cannon says:

Hi. Point of clarity on the above please. Do Qatar offer free hotel on layovers if more than 8 hours? I’ve got one coming up in October coming back from KL via Doha on Qatar

• Yes BUT only if that is smallest possible layover. If there is another combo of flights which you chose not to take – perhaps because it was more expensive – that gets you under 8 hours then you can’t have it. It is almost impossible to get it on flights from the UK on Qatar because, with so many daily departures, there is almost always a combo that would have got you under 8 hours.

• Oh gosh! I forgot about that rule! Out of sheer luck my return is on the Saturday and thats the only flight on that day. If I had booked the Sunday there is a shorter layover of 2 hours. Phew!

• Yes some have had their hotels cancelled after a flight time change brought them under 8 hours. You might as well try though? Book a refundable hotel for backup if you are worried.

9. It’s worth remembering that they do not offer these reward schemes out of the kindness in their heart. The reason why supermarkets offer these loyalty schemes is so they can keep track of our spending habits to sell us more. If enough people stopped swipping their loyalty cards at checkout or cancelled them, then they may have to rethink about changing the rules to reward schemes that make them less attractive.

10. Richard says:

If BA are concerned about there being too many avios being earned then stop agreeing to 80k+ sign up bonuses on their US cards first! And anyway, surely they would devalue the charts again rather than lower their income to deal with oversupply.

11. anyone else having problems with Amex refer a friend referral link at the moment?