BA Sale

What are the best hotel promos currently available?

Welcome to our regular round-up of the best hotel promotions currently running, back after a Christmas and New Year break.

All of the information in this article can also be found on our ‘Hotel Promos’ page which contains details of all of the current offers, together with links to our major articles on each hotel scheme.  However, a positive response from readers – especially our 10,000 email subscribers – means I am now running this monthly article as a handy summary of what is going on.

Where should you credit your stays in February?

You have some pretty decent options at the moment.  I run through the different promotions below.

Hotel Indigo Krakow

IHG (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, Indigo, Staybridge Suites etc):

The Spring version of IHG’s ‘Accelerate’ is probably the best choice for most people with lighter schedules.  As targets are personalised it is totally dependent on what you were offered but you should be able to rack up a significant number of bonus points with just a few nights.

The latest round of ‘Accelerate’ runs until 30th April.  This is my article on the offer.

Everyone has individual targets, but they are generally fairly easy.  You can earn 30,000+ bonus points with the points starting to flow from your first stay.

This was my target for 49,000 points maximum, comprising:

• 2,000 points for a stay in January
  • 5,000 points for referring a US-based friend to IHG who completes a stay by 30th April (EDIT: comments below suggest IHG has now woken up and changed this to a UK-based friend for UK residents)
  • 2,000 points on my next stay
  • 10,000 points for staying five nights
  • 2,200 points for two stays booked via the IHG app
  • 7,200 points for staying three weekends
  • 2,500 points for two stays booked via my corporate rate (the company I haven’t worked for in 6 years!)
  • 2,800 points for booking two stays on a Bonus Points Package
  • 2,000 points for getting the IHG credit card
  • 11,300 points for completing six of the seven targets above, excluding the January and referral bonus

You need to register for ‘Accelerate’ – the link is here where you will also find your personalised targets.  The IHG home page is here.

Hilton (Hampton, Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria etc):

The Hilton offer is very straightforward but not hugely generous.  You will receive 2,000 bonus points on every stay until 30th April, with an additional 10,000 points for every five stays.  There is no minimum stay required and every Hilton hotel is participating.

I would value 2,000 points at around £6 so, especially on long or expensive stays, it is not a great rebate.

I wrote about Hilton’s ‘2000 bonus points’ offer here.

Hilton is still status matching too.  If you have status with another hotel programme, Hilton will match you to Gold or Diamond for 90 days – I explain how to do it in this article.

You MUST register for the 2,000 points offer by visiting this page of hilton.com.

Club Carlson for hotel page

Club Carlson (Radisson Blu, Park Inn, Park Plaza, Radisson Red):

There is no global Club Carlson promotion at the moment.

Le Club AccorHotels logo

Le Club AccorHotels:

Le Club AccorHotels, the loyalty scheme for Ibis / Novotel / Sofitel / Mecure etc, is not running a global promotion at present.

Best Western Rewards:

Best Western Rewards is not running a global promotion at the moment.

Remember that Best Western is an Avios partner now (see this article) so you will earn 500 Avios on every stay if you choose miles instead of points.  You can also choose to receive Virgin Flying Club miles.

Full details of the Avios partnership are in my article here.  The same article also explains how to get a status match to Best Western Rewards.

world-of-hyatt

World of Hyatt:

Hyatt is not currently running a global promotion.

SPG Starwood

Starwood (St Regis, Westin, Sheraton, Element, W, Luxury Collection etc)

The Starwood offer is called ‘Great Weeks, Grand Weekends’.

Until 15th April, you will earn double base points per stay with an additional 500 SPG points at weekends.  However, the bonus only kick in from your second stay between 16th January and 15th April.

Full details are in this HFP article.

Registration is required via this page of the Starwood website.  Note that registration closes on 31st March even though the offer runs until 15th April.

marriott

Marriott (Renaissance, Ritz-Carlton etc):

Now that Marriott has acquired Starwood, the two groups are running similar offers.

The Marriott Spring promotion is another outing for Megabonus.

Until 15th April, you will earn 2,000 bonus points per stay, rising to 3,000 points at weekends.  However, the bonus only kick in from your second stay between 16th January and 15th April.

I would value a Marriott point at 0.5p so this is not a bad deal, especially for a cheap one night weekend stay, but remember that your first stay during the offer period does not count.

Full details are in this HFP article.

Registration is required via this page of the Marriott website.  Note that registration closes on 31st March even though the offer runs until 15th April.

And …..

PS.  If you booking a luxury hotel, remember that we can offer you exclusive additional benefits at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula and similar hotels.  Click here for details of our luxury hotel booking service in association with Bon Vivant / Virtuoso.  Feedback from readers who have used this service so far has been excellent and we have booked over £650,000 of rooms so far.

See the luxurious new Caledonian Sleeper trains which launch in October
What you need to know about the Amex Centurion airport lounge network in the US

BA Sale

Comments

1. Phillip says:

From the last Accelerate Promotion, I have not received any of the bonus points that were showing on the “Print Page” version of the promo. Everything else credited okay, minus those. Anyone else had more success?

• Andrew M says:

Nope. I’m guessing that, for whatever reason, IHG decided to never go live with them – at least for you and me. Perhaps we didn’t stay enough at ‘key’ times to trigger!

• Lucinda says:

Some over at FT have got these points 🙂

2. Regarding the Hilton promotion, is it double base points AND 2,000 points per stay? Or just 2,000 points per stay?

3. No bits so OT, sorry. I need to move avios from BAEC to avios.com as I have suddenly acquired 2 Lloyds upgrade vouchers now their IT issue has been rectified (on my account anyway!). I know there’s an issue with Household Accounts. Will I need to dissolve both the BAEC AND the avios.com HHA or can I get away with just dissolving the avios.com one – I don’t really want to go to the trouble of disbanding the BAEC one and putting it back together?

• Peter K says:

Just the avios.com one. You can keep the BAEC account as a household one and still move avios across.

• Andrew Johns says:

You just need to dissolve the Avios.com HHA and decide how to split up the Avios between those members.

• Thanks – I was hoping that was the case!

• Reeferman says:

Hi Anna – take care with avoids transfer itself.
          I combined AVIOS (from BA to Avios) over the weekend to use my Lloyds upgrade voucher and, unbeknown to me, the Avios.com system was “down” leaving my avois sitting in cyber space.
          Avios itself was very helpful with my requested booking (they held the flight for me even though there were insufficient Avios in my account as a result of the IT “glitch”), but it took a couple of days for BA to pull-back the missing avios and put them back into my BA account, so I could transfer them (again) to my Avios account.
          The second time I phoned Avios and they made the transfer for me. It was instant and all was OK.

4. Is there any reason why I would only be applicable to some of the Marriott promotions, I collect points not miles but rarely do I see a promotion which is available to me, even this Megabonus it says I’m not applicable. I managed to register for the last one but that was the first in two years.

Is this normal or is my account messed up?
    Does anybody else have this.

• Not normal – although some very heavy stayers tend to get different deals. You don’t sound like you’re in that group though.

• Just so you know, you are not on your own, my wife and I are both gold, she was able to register for megabonus and i was not, no idea why, I’m set to points and points.

• I get that too even when signed in:
      A Note About This Promotion – We’re sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion. The reason for this error could be:

You’re trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
      You are not eligible for this promotion
      This promotion has expired
      Updating your earning preference is fast and easy; simply sign into your account. For all other issues, please contact Marriott Rewards Customer Support.

• Alan Gilchrist says:

This is what I get all the time, and I have also contacted Marriott about this as it seems to be odd. My account is very old opened Ritz Carlton nearly 20 years ago then I stopped using Marriott as they are useless at posting stays (still are) but sometimes I have issues at hotels where they say oh this is a Ritz Carlton membership !! whatever that means.

I am Marriott Plat and so far this year 9 nights with a further 15 starting tomorrow, I dont think I am a heavy hitter, even last year I had 50 nights plus some meetings…

Will see what they say as this seems odd that others also have the same message.

5. On my Accelerate target it had 5,000 points for US based other, but it has since changed and I have confirmation for a UK resident now. 10,000 points if they book a room by April (5k each)

• Lucinda says:

Not that I’m going to refer anyone but mine still says USA

Also-not having a IHG credit card I have AGAIN got “spend on your IHG card”

Shambles promo IMHO.

6. Have 3 nights in Hamburg and 5 nights in NY (need close Times Square).

I bought Hyatt points with the 30% bonus and have 3 nights at Hyatt in Hamburg which worked out at £198 per night and it could be cancelled as its a points booking so pleased with that following Rob’s recommendation.

However, I need 5 nights in NY (close to Times Square) and finding it difficult to get a decent deal. I have some SPG points. 7th April for 5 nights. Treat for wife and my daughter. They have First out and business back.

Any ideas please. Budget around £1100 for the 5 nights.

7. Interesting the Hilton offer goes through til end of April, for some reason I thought it was until end of March.

Rob, thanks again for the heads up on free breakfast for Golds at WA properties, my up coming stay there should active the 10,000 bonus for my 5th stay in this Promo.

In case BarryCutters is reading, how was your Edinburgh trip?

8. You really don’t like Hilton haha. You value Hilton points at 0.3 which is actually a bit low and Marriott at 0.5. Yet the second is a decent return when they give 0 bonus points on the first stay. I would argue that on a couple of stays Hilton probably gives just a good return.

Especially when you factor in the 10,000 bonus points per 5 stays which equates to 4,000 per stay.

• Obviously it depends on how many stays you do and what you pay for them and your mix of nights vs stays. I have issues with promos which don’t start until your 2nd stay though.

• The Hilton deal is great for cheap one nighters. Here’s my first 2 stays in this Promo…

KL 4000+pts for £65 (in addition to my suite upgrade, exec lounge, breakfast)

Newcastle Airport 3800pts for £58 + free breakfast and evening drinks vouchers.

Has there been any feedback if the 2k works on full point redemption bookings?

• SIDIDDLY says:

The 2K promo does work with full point redemption bookings. I’ve had a couple where I have received 3K points (1k Myway bonus and 2K promo). As they contributed to 5 stays that is another 2K added as well so 5K ‘rebate’ on relatively cheap stays is a decent kick back.

• Thanks Sididdly, potentially great value at 10k and 20k properties.

• I believe for it to trigger you need to have incidental spend.

• RussellH says:

Yes, I find this Hilton deal to be worth far more than 0.3p per point. I have already had two nights in Newcastle, Hilton + Hampton, 2000 at each. two more stays at the airport in March, so I need one more stay after that and that will be 20 000 points, or a free weekend at the Newcastle Hampton.

Also good was checking in at the Newcastle Hilton on 31/12 (so got the double points bonus for the period ending 31/12) and then checked out on 1/1 (getting the current 2000 point bouns).

• I agree completely that the Hilton deal is much better than judged in this piece, each stay is actually worth 4000 BONUS points if you manage to do 5 or 10 – at the moment I’m in an Edinburgh property at £37 a night, and as a Diamond that includes breakfast and a drink at the bar, unbelieveable value.

Points regularly worth better than 0.3 and I find staff in all their brands very good these days.

• Dominic says:

You can easily get 0.5p of value (1p per MR point) from Hilton. I regularly use my points for five night stays when the fifth is obviously free. Best (only?) way to use them for maximum value.

Therefore, you could argue a little unfair to use 0.3p as a value. A lot of people will use Hilton points for extended stays like this rather than single nights which offer poorer value.

No one would use an economy transatlantic flight as a standard for valuing avios. Firstly, not many people do it and secondly its obviously not a good value redemption compared to alternatives.

• Marriott does 5 for 4 too though, so the delta is the same. Anyway, I am happier using low valuations because it stops people making mistakes in asset allocation! You can easily push up value per point by using cash … and more cash … and more cash … and so hoarding your points until some ‘dream’ option comes up (I am guilty of doing this with Hyatt because the points are so hard to get I hate using them!). You often find that the ‘dream’ option doesn’t ever happen due to lack of availability (I couldn’t use my Hyatt points in Tokyo last year) or a devaluation.

That’s not to say you should ALWAYS redeem, but I think you need a happy medium. If I can get above my threshold valuation then I will use points. As Hilton, Starwood, Marriott and Carlson are all Amex partners I can effectively ‘print’ more via an Amex MR transfer if I need them anyway.

9. No bits so OT

I currently have a Lloyds upgrade voucher. I am looking to go to LAX or LAS in august in Club. I tried to call yesterday regarding starting in DUB or AMS and was asked “is that for cheaper taxes” .. anyway he tried to price it up as I asked for economy on the AMS to DUB flight then use the voucher for the upgrade. He said he couldn’t tell me the taxes as they would need to calculate it by talking to BA .. am I right in thinking this guy just couldn’t do what I wanted or have other people had issues with this? Also is there a bit of movement between the first and second flight allowed i.e a day before etc if so how many days is deemed appropriate for the tax to remain low?
    I’m only wanting to go one way
    TIA

• We all only want to go one way!

• Have you checked the Ts and Cs to make sure you can use the voucher for that itinerary? Do you mean you want to fly LON-DUB-LON-LAS/LAX? It’s valid on BA mainline services only so if the route involves a codeshare, you can’t use the voucher on the codeshare segment.

• And yes you can make your connecting flight to London the day before your long-haul leg, I think the maximum stopover is 24 hours.

10. Mark1980 says:

Does anyone know if Hilton still do Gold to Diamond challenges such as x amount of stays in 90 days? I’m Hilton Gold via Amex Plat but very rarely stay in hotels. However I’ve got a week long training course in London next month so I was planning to bounce around various Hiltons doing one night stays in order to maximise the bonus promo. Would be even better if I could incorporate that into a Diamond challenge aswell – if thats possible?

11. Little bit OT but I’ve been offered a very cheap 4 night stay at Marriott’s Playa Andaluza beachfront resort but it’s conditional on attending a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Anyone have any experience of this offer and how hard sell it is?

• It depends whether you can be bothered sitting through the presentation. We have 2 timeshare weeks and have done a couple of tours as well (as opposed to presentations). It’s good to have answers ready like they are not offering good value, or the one I used last year which was that the exchange rate was too poor to be worth purchasing (it would have been a US dollar transaction). I would think a brand like Marriott would not risk its reputation by being too pushy, though I have no personal experience of it.

• There are loads more reasons for refusing – they can’t guarantee which property/date will be available, you wouldn’t get enough use out of it, you just lost your job/found out your partner is pregnant (they will run a mile if they think you have no money!)

• Mark1980 says:

Allan, Ive had the same offer and am going for it but have no intention of buying anything. Seeing as both adults have to attend, my plan is let the 2 kids be as unruly and feral as possible until the timeshare folks cant stand to be in the same room as them for a minute longer. Should do the trick! 😉

• That’s another good trick lol! Also, if you really want to do your homework, have a look at timeshare resale websites (there are loads of folk trying to offload their weeks/points since the recession). Then you can say to them, “Why would I pay you £20,000 (or whatever) when I can get this unit on a re-sale for £5,000?

You can tell I am used to batting off the reps when I visit my timeshares each year!

• I always made it a point of honour to be asked to leave, but that was in a group session where I kept pointing out the holes in their figures.

• I’m going next month on an offer I received last year. £219 for three nights, hire car and 50 Euro credit.
      It was fairly easy to get the dates we wanted.
      I will report back how much of a hard sell we get, but I am ready to tell them Im not interested in buying!

• Obviously no-one should but if it’s not a fantastic deal like ours were, but it’s only fair to point out that our two were the best investments we ever made and we’ve used them to travel all over the world. We’ve now settled down to using them to visit the Cayman Islands every year as it ticks all our boxes, often with an add-on to a US city, with air travel in style thanks to HFP!

• “I’m just here because the offer says I have to be. I don’t like you and will never buy your rip-off product. You can sign that I’ve attended and let me leave now or we can stare at each other for 90 minutes and then I’ll leave. What shall we do?”

Someone I know is a regular of the Vegas timeshare sales pitches uses pretty much this line every time. Works a treat apparently.

• Might be less effective in Europe as an approach!

• RussellH says:

We tried pretty much that approach in Barbados many years ago. The deal was that we had to be there for 90 mins, so we sat there staring at the floor for around 45 mins after seeing the first half of the presentation.

But we did get the voucher for a free meal for two, which turned out to be **excellent**, and I got a free T-shirt too (which was not – it was size S).

• TripRep and I have both done this with Hilton and it was quite relaxed. No idea about Marriott version. There is an article on here someplace, search Hilton Craigendarroch.

• RussellH says:

I regularly get offers for Craigendarroch, but never taken them up on it, not least because a family member had a hotel a mile down the road. But now they have sold up it might make more sense…