Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get £5 off at ALDI with American Express!

If you missed our article last week, American Express is now accepted at ALDI.

A ‘£5 cashback when you spend £10’ offer appeared on many Amex cards yesterday – I have it on my Platinum.  This is valid for one transaction before 30th April.

You need to save the offer to your card in order to register.  If you have it, it will be under the ‘Offers’ tab on your statement page on the website or app.

Comments (102)

• Mikeact says:

Just come off the phone with Avios.com. They say their rules are the same as BA re Avios Rewards. You can, by phone, book a reward within 24Hrs and Awards can be changed for free and refunded within 24 hrs.

• Rob says:

Odd, because they refused to do it for a reader last week which is what prompted the complaint to me.

• mike oscar says:

Yes 100% you can book within 24Hrs.
      I booked last week 4Hrs before a flight to Bru with their[Avios-Lloyds] ‘companion voucher’ no problem.
      Only issue it has to be done over the phone!

• Mikeact says:

Another Avios Award question. Can I make a booking for travel within the next 24 hrs ?

09:59:23 i.e. book now totravel this afternoon?

09:59:29 You can indeed, you do need to call to book on, 0844 49 333 49.

• Rob says:

The T&C’s actually say that you CANNOT book within 24 hours, even if the call centre allows it.

• Mikeact says:

Updated response from them, Avios.com

‘It’s not always possible to book for the same day based on availability and ticketing which is why we don’t advise of this in our terms’

• Mikeact says:

. Are Avios bookings changeable for free within 24 hrs of Booking?

09:41:49 it’s just a general question, i.e. if I book something today, change my mind,call back tomorrow to cancel, is it free or do I still incur the £35 fee ? Tx.

09:44:06 Let me find out for you, I will be right back. 🙂

09:45:48 You can book and cancel within 24 hours of booking on a British Airways flights free of charge. Other airlines may differ.

09:46:43 *flight

09:47:12 Is that available on line or by calling, and I guess any fees and Avios wil be returned?

09:47:38 You do need to call to cancel and yes, you get everything back.

• Justin says:

I was told that if you have used your voucher and cancel your booking T-24 you lose your voucher is that correct?

• Rob says:

You lose the Lloyds voucher if you cancel your booking, not the BA voucher. It isn’t fully clear given the comments whether an avios.com booking can be cancelled within 24 hours anyway, I assumed not but ….

• Reeferman says:

Bits:
    Another AVIOS-related matter.
    Yesterday I asked if anyone had experience of booking with AVIOS using 2 Lloyds upgrade vouchers regarding taxes/fees when booking the return leg some time after having booked the outbound leg.
    Despite fears that the higher taxes would apply for 2 separate bookings (over £400 more for 2 people in J to USA) am pleased to say that have just booked my return leg with AVIOS and they combined the booking – only applying the lower, r.t. taxes (a la BA 2-4-1 procedure).

• Michael says:

OT: Is there anyone here who knows how I can pay a fee abroad, who are not willing to accept credit card payment BUT only bank transfer. I need for them to receive payment urgently within 24 hrs. Is there a way around the hefty fee for international urgent payment?

• Matt says:

Transferwise (or similar service) is probably your best bet – if it’s a Euro transaction O think they’re fairly quick and they’re relatively cheap

• mark2 says:

I once paid for an apartment rental using PayPal.
      There was no charge, but the owner had been charged and expected to be reimbursed.

• kt1974 says:

Aldi offer is a weird one… It’s not on my offers list and not my Amex app, but I did get an email which I clicked and claimed to activate the offer… Mysterious and no proof/confirmation beyond a web page.

After the whole fiasco of Shop Small – several shops on the map had either closed down, no longer accepted amex, or simply didn’t honour the offer (e.g. by using a “different” card terminal, and therefore wasn’t the same business listed on the map) – I don’t really trust Amex offers unless I can SEE them.

• Michael Jennings says:

The Aldi offer is on my offers list for my PRG, and I also got the e-mail to click through and register for the offer (after I had already registered for it from my honours list). Neither of these things for my SPG card, alas, so looks like I only get it once.

• john says:

After querying Amex shop small where card not accepted they said their database is based off places that accepted Amex in last 6months.

• Genghis says:

Baloney! Some places on the map hadn’t accepted Amex for years even after just putting the card in the machine

• rams1981 says:

That does look interesting, thanks. Anyone on here have it?