Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get £5 off at ALDI with American Express!

If you missed our article last week, American Express is now accepted at ALDI.

A ‘£5 cashback when you spend £10’ offer appeared on many Amex cards yesterday – I have it on my Platinum.  This is valid for one transaction before 30th April.

You need to save the offer to your card in order to register.  If you have it, it will be under the ‘Offers’ tab on your statement page on the website or app.

Comments (102)

• mark2 says:

More importantly, the Waitrose ‘Pick Your Own’ scheme is closing on 28th Feb to be replaced by ‘personalised rewards selected just for you’.

• mark2 says:

OT
    For current accounts which pay interest and/or other benefits you often need two or three direct debits. Tesco Internet Saver (TIS) accounts allow you to set up a direct debit to collect small amounts from a current account each month. You can have one TIS account each and one joint. It also pays 1.3% with instant access. Don’t set up too many at the same time or it gets shirty.

• JamesB says:

Just a reminder though. that it is not a qualifying direct debit for their own tesco current account so don’t anybody rush off doing that.

• Genghis says:

Cough. Works for me…

• David says:

N.B. The T&Cs are changing and From 22nd April 2018 and you’ll be unable to set up new, regular or one off direct debit payments. All existing direct debits set up on your account will be cancelled.

• JamesB says:

On the relaunched account requiring 3 DD?

• JamesB says:

Oh well, no longer relevant given comment from David.

• mark2 says:

That’s a blow; probably too many people like us doing small direct debits!

• David says:

To be clear, my comment specifically relates to the T&Cs of the Tesco Bank Internet Saver and Tesco Bank Instant Access Savings Account which have changed and I was sent details of in the post a little while back.

• Genghis says:

@David. Thanks for letting us know. I rarely read those savings acct T&C change letters

• Anna says:

OT – my avios.com account is now showing avios and vouchers earned from the Lloyds avios cards, however my Lloyds credit card statement is still not showing any of this, and there is no spend indicator either – should I just assume this is never going to happen and continue adding it all up myself?!

• meta says:

Weird. At the very end of my statements there is a breakdown of Avios earned. It’s in the PDF statement.

• Matt says:

I tried applying for Aqua and was rejected! The waiting list for the Tandem has been removed – can just apply now

• Lumma says:

Really? Perhaps balance layers are not what they’re after. I do find them to be quite immoral to be fair. I’ve had the card a few years now, they gave me just a £450 limit at first (I only applied as they were giving a free night in a hotel as a sign up bonus, stayed in the Mercure sheffield) and within a year they put it up to £3800. The minimum payment is always lower than the estimated interest too.

Still they’ve not gotten a penny in interest or fees from me 🙂

• Lumma says:

Or balance payers even

• rams1981 says:

Thanks. Have applied for a card. Will report back if any good

• Matt says:

Subsequently checking on MSE’s eligibility check I was down as ineligible for Aqua, so presumably they have some upper limit for credit score or income.

• Anna says:

If you look at the Curve rewards section on their website there’s quite a bit of info about this.

• Scallder says:

Something to note – I tried doing a £30 shop this morning splitting over 3 cards and they wouldn’t take multiple cards for one transaction. Was told I could do card and cash… One item was £25 though so ditched the others I had picked up to make to £30 and will get those another day…

• Cate says:

When I get to the till I just put separators between the stuff I’m buying so it goes through as separate transactions. I’ve only been queried on this once and said I was shopping for myself and another and needed separate receipts. No problems.

• Scallder says:

Will certainly do that the next time I’m in there Cate to make use of the remaining 2 cards I have it on, however didn’t fancy my chances taking the £25 item out of the box and getting them to price up parts individually 🙂

• Scottydoggiom says:

With regards to Aldi , i just tried to order some wine online with them and there is no option to pay with Amex , maybe its to be added to the online side at a later date ?

• Optimus Prime says:

OT – Marriot is making changes to some hotel categories.

• rams1981 says:

Just booked JW Marriott Orlando using rewards package for 330k points. Was cat 7 and about to move to cat 8 it seems so saved 30k Marriott points.

110k SPG points for one week’s hotel at £1100-1200 plus 120k Avios was a decent return.

• Will says:

Phu Quoc moving out of cat 5 to 6, just managed to redeem a travel package against it while it was cat 5!

Worked out at 90k SPG points for 162k avios and what would have been a cash rate of £2800 for the week. Very pleased with that.

• Tracy says:

Thanks for the heads up, have booked my hotels for US summer trip, San Francisco and LA. Both hotels were going up…