Bits: free £4000 hotel stay in Australia, new BA Concorde Team, Avios / insurance deals

News in brief:

Free two night stay at a £2,000 luxury hotel – if you’re in Australia next week

Here is one of the oddest but most lucrative giveaways we have ever done!  Rob’s mate Tom has booked a pre-paid two night stay at the Southern Ocean Lodge on Kangaroo Island in South Australia for next week, but won’t be able to go.  He has grovelled to the hotel for leniency but it has refused.

As the room (second highest suite category, Tom paid £2,000 per night) is non-refundable, he is trying to find someone who is or can be in the area from 2nd till 4th April to take over his room.  Tom is not going to charge for this as the money is gone anyway and he feels it is better if someone stays in the room than giving the hotel the chance to resell and double its money ….

So, if anyone is able to stay at the Southern Ocean Lodge next week, information on how to get in touch with Tom is here.

BA’s Special Services team gets a name and outfit change

The British Airways Special Services team, which will look after ‘every detail of the airport experience for [their] most premium customers’, has been renamed the ‘Concorde Team’.

Concorde Team members will apparently undergo special training designed by The Dorchester and wear uniforms by luxury tailor M&S.  Heathrow will be the first airport to offer the revised service with JFK to follow in the coming months.

Here are the new Concorde Team M&S uniforms if you need to spot them (I quite like the white shirt) although in theory they are meant to find you if you are deemed important enough:

new concorde outfit by M&S

Earn Avios with your insurance from Alan Boswell Group

Finally, with a new month about to launch, I thought it was worth a reminder of the current generous Avios-earning deals available with Alan Boswell Group if you have insurance due this month.

(Alan Boswell Group will also be sponsoring a competition on HFP next month where you will be able to win a large chunk of Avios.)

You can earn up to 20,000 Avios when you take out household, business or landlord insurance.

This is what you can earn at present:

3,000 Avios per policy priced below £200

5,000 Avios per policy priced between £200 and £499

10,000 Avios per policy priced between £500 and £999

20,000 Avios per policy priced above £1,000

The company is also now able to offer negotiated bonuses for very large policies.  They told us that they recently did a special Avios deal for someone taking out a £5,000 household policy for example.  The highest amount of Avios paid out so far in one transaction is 50,000.

As a specialist insurance broker, Alan Boswell will give you best quote it can from the wide range of underwriters it works with.  This means that it is very likely that it will be competitive with your current insurance quote as you will be getting the lowest price from across a wide range of providers.

The system is a little fiddly, I admit:

For business and household insurance, you need to ring Alan Boswell for a quote.  The details can be found on this page of their website.

For landlord insurance, you can get a quote and purchase online via their website

Disclaimer: Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibility to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points.  In order to discuss and link to Alan Boswell on this site, Robert Burgess is registered as an Introducer Appointed Representative of Alan Boswell Insurance Brokers Ltd which is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.

My trip to the Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi, Sweden
What is the best hotel scheme? - Hilton Honors - The Opinion

Comments

1. Nathan says:

O/T, have a BAPP 241 waiting, plus a pile of avios and approx. 250k MR points to burn. My +1 and I fancy India in Oct/Nov 2018. Anybody have any recommendations vis a vis flights?
    N.b. I’m a redemption newbie and any insight into the myriad plane class/seat configurations flown by BA forecast for then would be much appreciated.
    Also, I have never flown First and that was kinda the point in building a points stash but it’s not an absolute as it would, I think, rule out Bengaluru.

• Genghis says:

Sorry for the probably unhelpful answer but I’d encourage you to do your own research. Where do you want to go in India? Ie into and out of where. For how long? Check BA availability to use the 241. Compare that to cash prices you’d be willing to accept (ex UK or ex-EU). The ITA matrix / google flights may come in handy.

• Nathan says:

Perfectly fine answer Genghis. Research is the issue, Q: “where do you want to go then?” A: “India” is all I have to go on. For the first time in a long while I’m not being told to be somewhere and working the parameters accordingly – I have the time, the points, the cash, and there’s just too much choice! First world problems eh?

• Bangalore, Kerala, Cochin is a good triangle tour. Kerala backwater cruises where you stay for a night or two on your own converted houseboat are superb… Then pop over to the Maldives….

• Sundar says:

A South India tour is good during these months, beware of rains as well. Bangalore, Kerala tours….How about Andaman/Maldives ?
          North India is also good weather-wise. Delhi, Jaipur, Agra.
          Goa is also an alternative…

• We used a 2-4-1 to go to India a couple of years ago. We flew F to Mumbai and J from Delhi back to the UK (taking a prebooked internal from BOM to DEL). We took the view that we wanted a daytime F flight (rather than sleeping through it!) and the 10am (ish) BA flight fitted the bill.

Five days in Mumbai, a couple of days in Delhi and then took a prebooked tour around parts of Rajasthan with a driver and car (with a local guide meeting us at major cities). We took in Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur and much in between. We flew back from the latter to Delhi before returning to the UK.
      Great trip.

• We flew BA first to Delhi using a 2-4-1 a few years ago. We planned the flights around a 7 night tour of the golden triangle with Intrepid travel (paid using Tesco clubcard vouchers). Our first ever group tour and we had a wonderful time.

• pablo fonseca domingo panto says:

India is fairly cheap to access in premium seats, either cash fare or by redemption on another programme such as QR. 102k return. I suggest this is a better option, however would never advise to convert MR to QR points – QR points can be picked up easily and QR availalbility can be poor.
      Other programs to consider are Etihad..

2. Completely OT sorry 🙂
    I’m planning to use one of my Amex PRG freebie LoungeClub passes in Moscow Sheremetyevo (SVO) terminal D. Has anyone been to, and would recommend (to/not to), any of the 5 alternatives (Classic, Blues, Gallery, Matryoshka, and Jazz)?
    I’m interested in shower facilities and comfortable seats, more than food/drinks. Thanks!

3. RussellH says:

Also Completely OT ????

I see that one of the little perks of BA Bronze status is being able to use business class check-in desks and priority boarding. Better than nothing, but BA is not clear as to whether that applies to others on the booking reference if you are travelling as a couple or family.
    Ironically, my partner has earned exactly as many tier points as me over the last six years, but because we do not share a year end date, she lost 140 tier points last summer less than a week after earning them. (And no, we could not have travelled a week later – my niece would not have appreciated us arriving two days after her wedding!)

• Never had a problem with checkin or boarding always go on the highest status.

• Within reason you can bring who you want.

• The BA site states:

“It is possible that customers travelling together may receive different group numbers. In this case, please make your way to the gate where you will be able to board together.”

4. Scallder says:

OT – BBC Reporting that BA are keeping their Newcastle and Manchester call centres so not going to be outsourced to Capita…

• Correct. I have Alex’s statement.

• Darren says:

Had great service from Newcastle over the years, a lattery Manchester – good news.

• Lady London says:

Thank heavens they’ve seen sense.

• Don’t underestimate the meaning of this. When AC came in one of the first things he said was “you’ve still got call centres? Wow well they’ll have to go”. The fact that he’s lost the battle is a sign that the tide is turning.

• Crafty says:

No, just that the big outsourcers are facing an existential crisis at the moment, so this decision is risk management pure and simple

• No, I do actually think that he knew the publicity would be awful (as was mentioned above, the news covered the decision) and that BA does not need any further bad publicity.

5. OT: is there any FX transfer service that takes amex? I have had no luck with azimo/transferwise/revolut

thx

• I’d like to know this too. Potentially a way through billhop perhaps, but I’ve not thought how!

6. Re Alan Boswell Group insurance: following on from the head for points reminder email in January, I contacted them to enquire whether they would honour the gifting of Avios even though my house insurance was not due for renewal until later in 2018. They confirmed that they would, and they took contact details. Unfortunately, because I don’t live in a mansion, the premium I was advised of was only £260 odds, and I was told that there was a minimum premium of £500 to qualify for Avios. Subsequently I arranged my insurance through a different company, but I feel I have been conned.

• Alan Boswell Group says:

Hi Jim, thanks for your note, not sure who told you this, but could you provide me your details and I will check our calls. We do not have a minimum premium so you should have got points. I will also credit some Avios to you for the error on our part. Regards Simon (Please use [email protected] or [email protected] to get in touch if possible)

7. pablo fonseca domingo panto says:

Very nice looking presentation of people.
    I will be happy to see them on my flight tomorrow to Chennai