Hilton

Bits: your IHG Accelerate Q2 target viewable, interesting IHG / Avis deal, Virgin economy offers

News in brief:

New IHG Accelerate headline target available for Q2

IHG’s Accelerate promotion will be returning!  This is probably not a major surprise to anyone, but as it is generally good fun and a decent deal I doubt many will complain.

The new version will run from 1st May to 31st July.

If you register via this page of the IHG website, you can see your points target.  I will have nine targets with a maximum of 55,700 points available.

What you can’t see yet are what your targets are, as the site is not fully functioning.  I will do a full article when it is working properly.

IHG Accelerate Spring Q2

Interesting IHG Rewards Club and Avis promotion

Avis and IHG Rewards Club have launched a new offer which could be more interesting than it looks.

Via this page, any Avis booking:

made by 15th May

for rental before 31st December

across EMEA, Asia and the US

for a Group C or higher car

for 4+ days

….. will earn you 5,000 bonus IHG Rewards Club points.  This is on top of the – pitiful – base earnings of 125 IHG Rewards Club points per day.

There is also a Spin To Win competition on the site.  Enter your Avis rental number – which I don’t think needs to be booked via the IHG portal – and you can instantly win a car upgrade or some IHG Rewards Club points.

This is why the deal may be better than it looks.  When I wrote this long article on which IHG points count for status and which don’t, the consensus from your comments is that points for car rentals DO count for elite status.

That is not 100% guaranteed.  It is also not 100% guaranteed that the bonus points would count, even if the base points did.  However, earning 5000 bonus IHG Rewards Club points which count towards elite status is a lot more interesting that just earning 5000 bonus IHG points on their own, which I only value at £20.

Full details are on this IHG / Avis microsite.

New Virgin Atlantic US economy deals

Virgin Atlantic has launched a batch of economy deals, running until 17th April.

These mainly cover the Winter period although travel dates vary by route.  Headline prices are:

• Boston £312
  • New York £312
  • Miami £373
  • Orlando £389
  • Las Vegas £397
  • Los Angeles £399

Full details are on this page of the Virgin Atlantic site.

Get 12,000 Avios or 15,000 Virgin miles with a new sign-up bonus on the Tesco Premium Credit Card!
IAG confirms it will open talks with Norwegian to buy the airline

IHG
IHG

Comments

• Chris A says:

‘Boston from £175 each way’.
      Meanwhile, I can see plenty of Virgin rtn tickets, including luggage and presumably seat selection for £278.

1. Sorry for OT- British Gas Amex
    Do I need to request a bar coded bill to pay via Paypoint using Amex?
    or do I need to request any prepayment card to be able to use Amex?

• Genghis says:

When we were on BG I requested a Paypoint card. You most likely will want to stay on a DD for the cheapest tariff but ask them to set it low.

• KBuffett says:

I recently took my council tax into Asda to pay in amex and they scanned it and said the paypoint terminal says cash only

2. Can’t seem to see my new offers, only the one that expires 30/04/18.

3. Craig Strickland says:

Managed 70700 in Q1, Q2 is harder for 42000. Five of the seven are easy, I would need to book 2 additional stays to make one of the other 2. During this period I have 6 Hilton stays booked towards 8 for a status match. Planning 2 stays at Sheffield park and a bit of walking in the Dales to make up the difference. So it looks like around 25000 this time for me, not a huge problem as I’m about to smash through half a million points!

4. O/T: Added my Amex Platinum to Google (Android) Pay and tried to top-up my Revolut account using the Google Pay option but the transaction declined. Anyone had any luck with this?
    Top-ups using credit cards have worked fine but this is the first time I’ve tried using an Amex charge card via Google Pay to top-up.

Mikee

5. Got 34000 for staying 18 nights..made up of stay 3 nights,3 more, 3 more…
    Not really worth it, had similar last quarter too

• giggle says:

I have the same offer as you too Jtz and not worth it for me either in the last three sets of offers.

6. Craig Strickland says:

Anyone have any suggestions for cities other than London that have two decent HI’s? Not Express.

• If it needs to be a single city for both, and if they need to be central (and assuming UK) then Manchester is the only one that springs to mind. It has multiple HI.
      Edinburgh also if you are wiling to be in Corstophine by the zoo (and on bus route from the airport) but the other HIs are similarly away from the city centre (the HIXs are in the centre).

If they can be out of town, then probbaly loads more.

• Norwich is quite small but has 3 HIs and 1 HIX.
      Though I’ve only stayed in the central one which is walkable to the train station and football ground.

7. Peter K says:

Is the IHG Mastercard rate still going and does using it count as a qualifying spend?

8. Seems fairly similar to my previous one (which I have only qualified for about half the points unless I do 2 more nights (1 or 2 stays) in a HI or HIX within the next few days)

Major difference is instead of having an international stays target pretty open (just any countries outside that of my residence (UK)) it is now limited to those further afield.

I probably won’t achieve the food & drink spend one or the international stays one given the list of regions included. If Europe was in there I’d be Okay.

Missing 2 targets means no Achievement Bonus which is a big loss so due to those targets I won’t strive to achieve the others either – previous accelerate promos have definitely lead me to stay more at IHG properties, this one probably won’t 🙁

69,500 total bonus points.

My Offers
    Points Offer
    2,000 Stay Once Get 2,000 bonus points
    Thank you for being a loyal IHG® Rewards Club member. Stay once and earn 2,000 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW

10,000 Stay More, Earn More
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 5 night(s) and earn 10,000 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW

10,800 Stay at Holiday Inn®
    Stay at 3 Holiday Inn® hotel(s)—including Holiday Inn Resort® and Holiday Inn Club Vacations®—and earn 10,800 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW

9,600 Travel with the IHG® App
    Book 2 stay(s) with the IHG® App and earn 9,600 bonus points. Terms

12,000 Explore with Confidence
    Have 2 stays in any country in North America, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Greater China (China Mainland, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan), Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa and earn 12,000 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW

2,400 Eat, Drink and Earn
    Spend $240 on food and beverages when you stay at IHG® hotels and earn 2,400 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW

1,500 Spend on your IHG® Rewards Club Premium Credit Card
    Book and pay for one stay at any IHG® hotel using your IHG® Rewards Club Premium Credit Card and earn 1,500 bonus points. Terms and conditions apply. Terms
    BOOK NOW