Inside BA’s new A320neo aircraft with its super-thin seats (and power sockets)

As I mentioned earlier in the week, the first brand new Airbus A320neo short haul aircraft is now in service with British Airways.

This is the aircraft with the super-thin seats in the rear half as well as no video screens and – in Club Europe – no console table.  It has gained power sockets, with full plugs and USB sockets in the first half and USB sockets towards the rear.

I have been sent a few official pictures which give a better impression than the photo I ran earlier in the week.

Here are three shots of the new style seating at the rear.

The first picture is the key one.  You can see from this image how amazingly thin the seats are:

British Airways A320neo

and

British Airways A320neo

and

British Airways A320neo

Here are the power sockets, at the front (USB and 3-pin):

British Airways A320neo

and at the back (USB only):

British Airways A320neo

and one of the two narrow loos:

British Airways A320neo

At the moment this aircraft is mainly operating out of Terminal 3, but more are on the way so you will find yourself on one sooner rather than later.  For Summer 2018, airlineroute reports that you will find the aircraft flying:

• London Heathrow – Budapest
  • London Heathrow – Lisbon
  • London Heathrow – Madrid
  • London Heathrow – Warsaw

What is the best hotel scheme? - Starwood Preferred Guest - The Opinion
Bits: Who won our Premium Economy competition?, Accor APAC offer, Starwood article update

Comments

1. Off topic but could someone confirm if the Curve card ATM withdrawals are calender month or every 30 days? I.e. could I take cash out on the 31st March and again on the 1st April or do I need to wait until the 30 April?

2. What’s the legroom like on these things? The easyjet ones look ok.

3. They just keep giving you reasons to fly with LCCs don’t they? The only reason I considered to flight with BA was the “more-comfy-than-average” seats. Now they are not only pricier than other competitors, they also don’t offer any advantage for flying with them so I’ll just avoid them unless there isn’t a better alternative.

Basically they give you Iberia Express seats for BA prices :facepalm

• Pier75 says:

Are these BA flights going to be cheaper, given the constant reduction in comfort?
      And yes I now use Easyjet for short-haul European flights, BA does no longer offer any value for money. Iberia Express leg-room is worse than Easyjet, in my experience. I’d like to try Norwegian.
      Semi-OT: I’m flying with BA LHR to Boston in October on a 747, I’m scared it will be a dreadful experience…

4. the_real_a says:

I have flown this seat in Asia and its really not as bad as i expected. The seat profile is on a slight recline so if you find yourself pushing back the seat by 1-2″ then you should find the profile adequate. I find the usable space of the seat is MORE than the current version – you just need to ensure you are sat properly in the chair (as with all ergonomic seating) – don’t slouch. The padding on the base is too thin and does get uncomfortable – but no more than today’s seat.

Also – on two occasions on BA i have had the flight attendants tell me to not to charge my phone unless i’m using it in my hand. Totally ridiculous.

5. Peter K says:

I sort of sympathise with BA. For the average person they want a cheap holiday/flight and every kilo of weight adds to the ticket price.
    Oil costs are currently low but if they go back to $90-100 a barrel then every kilo more than a LCC adds an extra reason not to fly BA for the average Joe, especially if we get another recession.
    There is also still an increase in there number of passengers every year so by increasing the number of seats pretty flight BA will need less slots/planes which again means lower prices and helps future proof themselves.
    It all comes down to economics and sadly BA needs to compete on price and to attract the average consumer that means going down the route it has gone.

• Catalan says:

Here here. Exactly!
      Would all the moaners (who probably don’t fly BA anyway) please step off the plane!

• Far from it. I think that you may find that the many people who have made comments on this thread have been flying with BA for many years, some indeed since inception. Heaven forbid, but some of us, including myself, have also flown BOAC & BEA, as well as the likes of British Caledonian, so I think that their comments are worth taking aboard. 🙂

• Peter K says:

I get that and wasn’t saying things haven’t got worse, just that market forces have basically put BA in a lose lose position. Either miss out on the mass market or alienate those who are used to better. Which would you choose if in their position?
          Maybe they have chosen the wrong option, but I can understand why they have. And as that is their game plan then Alex Cruz, with LCC experience, no doubt seemed a good choice at the time.

• Thanks for the post Peter and, I largely agree with you.

The problem that I have is that BA have just gone too far in their general cost cutting and, IMHO, this has had, and will continue to have (unless they change their strategy), a negative effect on many of their core customers.

I personally see most of the issues being down to the corporate’s who make these decisions, who probably just don’t understand the product & services that they offer and their customer base. I see this regularly now also with hotels and the ergonomic layout of rooms. There are now so many negative issues with hotel rooms, within the major chains today, that any regular traveller can point out, yet the people that make decisions about these rooms have probably never stayed in same to appreciate the issues.

I’m sure that Rob could have a whole new thread on this, so won’t bore you and others any more for now! 🙂

Anyway, just my view, but I believe it’s also true of many other regualr tarvellers today. 🙂

• Lady London says:

Er… @Nick did you really mean some HfP readers have been flying BA since its inception? BA is celebrating its 100 year anniversary next year….

• TBH, it really depends on which ‘British Airways’. I was referiing to the ‘new’ British Airways, which was incepted in 1974, incorporating BOAC & BEA, which I thought would have been evident when I mentioned the latter two companies as having flown with previously. 🙂

• Ridiculous comment Lady London.

Nick mentions British Airways and also BOAC and BEA. Therefore unquestionably he is referring to the British Airways created in 1974.

Personally I think it would be far more significant for BA to mark 45 years next year, rather than 100 years since Air Transport & Travel Ltd and which went into Liquidation.

Indeed, I’d further have suggested it would have been better to have marked 30 years since privatisation (1987) last year. But, given we are heading back in the direciton of ‘Bloody Aweful’ – maybe 1974 British Airways is the anniversay to mark.

• Arnold says:

frayed anecdotes of yesteryear are rarely worth much credence

6. Amazingly thin amazingly tightly packed and amazingly uncomfortable… If I want low cost service and comfort I’ll book with someone who charges low fares…
    BA appears to be the only one who believes that charging premium and delivering low service is sustainable (when they bother at all)

7. Catastrophe. Those seats are extremely tight and uncomfortable for any flight longer than one hour. They are much worth than the currently ones. I do find the small BA Logo on the current seat quite chic. The new ones? LCC!