How to do an IHG redemption for 200 points to hit one of your new Accelerate targets

Today is 2nd May, which means that the new round of IHG Reward Club’s ‘Accelerate’ promotion is in full swing.

IHG covers Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, Staybridge Suites, InterContinental and various other brands.  I wrote about the new version of Accelerate here and you can register via this link.

Every members gets different personalised targets which must be hit by 31st July.  However, a very common target this time was, as I got:

1,000 points – Earn When You Redeem

You earned your points, now use them! Redeem your points for anything, from a digital download to a Reward Night, and you’ll earn 1,000 bonus points.

How can you hit this target easily and cheaply?

Easy!  With a digital download via the IHG digital rewards catalogue.

Here is the UK digital rewards site (click).

There are over 6000 movies available, with recent titles such as Girl On A Train available for as little as 1300 points.

More interesting – if you are purely after an easy way to tick off the Accelerate target – are eBooks and eMagazines.  Click on the relevant tab on the digital rewards site and reorganise by price.

The cheapest eBooks are currently 200 points so, in my case, I’d make a ‘profit’ of 800 points on a redemption.  Here are a few examples at 200 points:

The eMagazines are more expensive, starting at 250 points, although you might do a better job of finding something you want to read.

The music selection cannot be sorted by price but seems to start at 300 points.

Whether or not you actually want any of the 200 points books, it is worth – if you are not planning to book a redemption between now and the end of July – downloading one if targeted for this on Accelerate.  You will make a small points profit and tick off one target.

Get 1,000 Avios with a new wine deal from Laithwaites
How does Club H10, the loyalty programme for H10 Hotels, work?

Comments

1. Tim W says:

Does “redeeming” a free night (earned via the IHG Premium Mastercard) count for this task?

2. Graham Walsh says:

OT Looking at BA flights and google flights is showing it 20% cheaper when booking via Iberia. Any difference if I book with them?

• Lottie says:

depends on if you are desperate for the avios/Tier points as they don’t seem to post automatically you have to chase. We have done a couple as they were much cheaper than BA for the same flight, but all needed chasing.

• Agree. Have needed to chase re points/TPs. Oddly always fine as qualifying flights.

• Graham Walsh says:

Just want the Avios. Doubt I’ll ever get status with BA.

• Michael Jennings says:

I’ve had Avios and Tier points post fine when it was an Iberia flight number on an Iberia flight. Iberia flight numbers on BA flights you seem to often have to chase, but chasing is easy and you get the points quickly.

I had an amusing one, recently – an Iberia flight number on a BA flight LHR-MAD, but when I got to T5 I discovered the flight was “operated by Iberia”. No, the points didn’t post automatically, even though the other flight on the same Itinerary (a connecting Spanish domestic flight on Iberia) posted fine.

• Lady London says:

Only difference is that if you book it now via Iberia on an Iberia flight you will get 2x the Avios due to a current promotion.

3. I should have waited until today and saved 100 points. Redeemed 300 points for a song by Malena Ernman yesterday… not a bad option but still…

4. Mino says:

O/T – I upgraded a Finnair flight to business around 6 weeks ago, primarily to obtain BA Gold this year. However, only the original level of tier points and Avios from the economy ticket posted on my Exec account. After speaking with Finnair, they’ve indicated that the upgrade was only for the “experience” or words to that effect and that the original tier points and Avios should be applied. There was nothing in the online process when upgrading to suggest that the ticket was still effectively an economy ticket for points and Avios earning purposes. I’m also not aware of a similar scenario or approach being adopted by BA (or other oneworld airlines). Does anyone have any advice or experience of this scenario? Any help appreciated.

• I assume this was an upgrade by cash. I am afraid AY (and most oneworld airlines) is correct on this one. BA is one of the few generous ones to give upgraded TPs/Avios (BA operated flight only),

• Cate ⛱️ says:

So if you upgrade with cash you don’t get any extra flyer miles? Interesting……

• Mino says:

Yes, it was an upgrade with cash. My issue is with the assumption that, rightfully or wrongfully, “upgrade to business class” means that you get all the benefits that come with a business ticket, including tier points and Avios. In the event that the “upgrade to business class” is somehow diluted (be that in relation to points or otherwise) then that should be made clear when booking. Effectively, they still ticket you as an economy customer, which is fine provided that’s made clear up front and not hidden away in some obscure fare rule.

• Nick says:

This is unfortunately something you’ll have to accept. Almost all airlines only award for the underlying fare, not any upgrade. BA is one of the (few but good) exceptions, but that doesn’t mean you can expect every other airline to play along with them!

5. Evan says:

OT: No bits. Probably a newbie question. I’ve just booked a return redemption to HKG on points in First. When I look at the booking it says 450TPs and whatever number of Avios it is you earn. Now obviously I know I’m not entitled to anything as it’s a redemption – but does this usually happen i.e, it shows up with the number of TPs/Avios it would normally attract? Or do I just keep my mouth shut and hope for the best?

• With avios.com bookings, yes. Sadly nothing will post.

• Evan says:

Cheers. It’s a BA booking but even so….didn’t want to get my hopes up, best to know from the start!

6. Richard says:

Perhaps a daft question, but I’m guessing that multiple e-books downloaded for say 200 points each won’t get me 1000 IHG points back multiple times? I haven’t seen anything that states “one digital redemption only per account” or similar wording. Cheers.

7. Scott says:

I just did a 200 points ebook reader redemption and had the 1000 points added to my account within a minute.

8. Graeme says:

Very impressed that IHG appears to have tightened up the IT for this Accelerate period, the bonus points are posting with the relevant hotel stays within 2 days of checkout.. or perhaps I’m just lucky?