IHG

BA bits: LA and San Jose 787 cancellations, good US Winter Club World fares, are YOU called Harry or Meg(h)an?

BA news in brief:

British Airways US cancellations

The curse of the Boeing 787-9 is now starting to bite at British Airways.

The following services are cancelled due to a shortage of long-haul aircraft due to engine problems:

Los Angeles (flights BA281/280 only): from now to 24th May, and from 29th May to 30th June

San Jose: suspended completely from 1st – 3rd June and from 9th – 18th June

British Airways 787 cancellations

Good British Airways sale fares to the US and Canada for the Winter

The ‘coming and going’ heavily discounted Club World fares to the US are back for anyone who can commit to travelling in 6+ months time.

These fares are valid for travel:

OUT:  six months from today (so 16/11) to 11/12, 24/12 to 31/12, 1/1 to 2/1 (!), 15/2 to 29/3

IN: 29/10 to 31/12, 20/2 to 6/4

….. so, nothing before mid November.  You can only travel outbound mid-week (Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) and inbound Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Here are some sample fares from Heathrow for November.  These prices may be available from some regional airports too.  Other destinations in the US and Canada are available as long as they served with a direct BA or AA flight:

• Atlanta £1,411
  • Boston £1,321
  • Calgary £1,438
  • Chicago £1,436
  • Dallas £1,451
  • Denver £1,471
  • Houston £1,461
  • Miami £1,521
  • Nashville £1,412
  • New York £1,351
  • Phoenix £1,531
  • San Diego £1,461
  • San Francisco £1,461

I would strongly recommend also pricing up the flights on the BA Holidays website here.  Adding a car or a hotel may not cost much more and could even end up being less!  You also get the benefit of only having to pay a ‘from £150’ deposit now to secure your trip.

Where American Airlines flies the route, you can pick AA instead of BA for the same price.  You should check the exact configuration of the aircraft type shown but it is likely to be a better seat than Club World, especially if travelling alone.

British Airways Harry and Megham first class lounge first wing access

Are YOU called Harry or Meg(h)an and flying this weekend?

If you are, but you’re not flying, and want to check out BA’s Galleries First lounge you may want to book yourself a quick weekend break.  Or perhaps just a quick there and back to Manchester!

Any British Airways passenger flying out of Terminal 5 this Saturday, the day of the wedding, who is called Harry, Meghan or Megan, will be allowed to use the First Wing private security channel and the Galleries First lounge.

This offer applies to everyone travelling with Harry or Meg(h)an too.

That is the good bit.  Here is the silly bit.

BA93 (13.10) to Toronto on Saturday will have a 100% Harry or Meg(h)an crew.  Oh yes.  Given that these are not hugely common names I can imagine it was tricky to get that many rostered given the strict rules on flying hours and gaps between flights.

There is some upside for passengers on this flight though.  Every passenger will get a personal bottle of Castelnau Blanc du Blanc champagne and an individual celebratory wedding cake.

Bits: BA innovates its long-haul deep clean programme, update on redeeming Avios for Flybe, MBNA closes its AA cards
30,000 Membership Rewards points (=30,000 Avios) for getting Amex Platinum .... but is it worth £450?

Comments

1. Andrew M says:

I should imagine some Rachel’s out there might feel a bit peeved. Lol.

• JamesB says:

I can imagine one particular Harry might squeeze the maximum possible value out of this one!

• Optimus Prime says:

Harry Potter?

• The Original Nick says:

Yes, where has Harry gone?

• Worzel says:

I am informed that Harry Lionel Len Squills esq is quietly residing at Squills Towers 🙂 .

• the real harry1 says:

@Worzel, @friends – tripped over the cat, somewhat pissed, fell down the stairs, broke 4 ribs, thought nothing of it though wife said enough is enough, 10 days later lung lining filled up with blood & fluid as I pierced it (collapsed lung or similar) & I couldn’t breathe except short panicked breaths in middle of night with a lot of pain from ribs so thought death imminent/ heart attack/ major pain across chest, crawled to kitchen & got aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol down my neck & waited for dawn

got the kids sorted (wife was in Germany) & called ambulance car, did tests, luckily she said heart attack not likely but it’s something serious, carted me off to hospital where I jumped all the January queues in A&E as urgent and they drained off all the fluid in my lung lining with an extremely painful operation to get the draining tube in the right place with some medic students watching, was supposed to be 3 minutes of pain but turned out 15 mins of quite bad pain as the junior needed to call over his mentor to sort it out, a pain you can endure, ultimately but bloody painful, didn’t want to shout out or cry in front of the crowd so just grimaced & said ‘that’s painful, ouch’ – basically they had to cut through 5 layers of skin to get the tube in and local anaesthetic wasn’t much help except for the first layer

all went swimmingly until, fluid drained, I got serious pneumonia ie the kind that kills 30K people pa in UK, the infection feeds off the gunk left in your lungs, got IV antibiotics and 5 nights in hospital, then more antibiotics plus about 10 other drugs & home, still not brilliant 4 months later ie lungs about 50% though I can do long walks on the flat, the minute I go uphill they conk out

anyway, I was surrounded on the intensive care ward by mortality, another load of people (8 on one, 5 on the other) mostly dying of thoracic stuff with awful noises all the time, most of them 70-85 with very serious conditions, no sleep for 5 days & nights until I got a sleeping pill prescribed, reality check I just decided to get healthy if possible & keep my own counsel for a bit, I am alive, sorry to anybody I upset with caustic or homophobic comments in the past

harry

• Harrry, goodness what a lot you have gone through! Thank you for sharing it, welcome back to the land of the living and HfP, and the very best of luck with your recovery. A lot of people have missed you.

• Genghis says:

It certainly puts this hobby into perspective. All the best in the recovery TRH1

• Welcome back 🙂

• JamesB says:

Welcome back Harry, hope you get all the way better soon, 300 clubcard points waiting for you on the new NowTV sticks and 10 free sales at eBay.

• Welcome back Harry – we’ve missed you!!

• I miss Harry

• Terry says:

I miss him too, does anyone really know why has he disappeared?

• Tom Cook says:

• Mr Dee says:

He found several Tesco deals and it currently touring the country for the items.

• Worzel says:

@ Squills 20:14.

A lot of disbelievers on this site-I’ve mentioned a couple of times that you’re fine…….

I’m sure you’ve now perfected your aim at the cats’ backside!

Worz 🙂 .

2. BA will be mucking up more than a few people’s heads holidays at very short notice with these cancellations. What is their obligation to the passengers affected? I had a transatlantic flight cancelled a course me of years ago, BA flatly refused to put us on an alternative carrier so we ended up having to cut short our holiday by 2 days because there were no other BA flights before the date by which we needed to be back home for work.

• Couple of years even!

• JamesB says:

They have capacity of their own to both LAX and SFO/OAK. given their joint venture, I imagine they would also use AA to LAX. It would not surprise me if these cancellations owed more to weak demand across these flights at these times than simply to 787 issues.

3. paulm says:

OT but on BA. Appears BA are finally part of TSA Pre, you can now add your KTN to bookings.

• Nick_C says:

I had Tsa pre check when I flew back from NY on BA on Monday night. I’ve never applied for it or paid for it, but I always get it on AA, and got it once on UA.

A passenger flying F cut in on front of me at security (as she was entitled to as I was flying CW). No idea who she was but the ground staff were all over her. I watched her load her LV bags onto the belt and take her shoes off to line up for the scanner, and took her pleasure in keeping mine on and walking past.

• That happened to me – a young man laden with designer shopping bags and accompanied by some kind of personal assistant with a Heathrow ID badge. Security made him empty every one of the shopping bags while the PA looked on in obvious discomfort!

4. Mmm we have a 2 for 1 booked in F for December outward to San Jose return from San Diego.

The issues with the 789s look likely to continue for a while so I’m resigned to the fact we may get a reroute to SFO. We’re planning a few days in Monterey at the start of the break and fortunately the shuttle bus routes from SFO via San Jose. Would be disappointed not to try the 789 in F though!

• My partner and I travelled on the 789 F from Kuala Lumpar back to London in March. This was due to an upgrade at the boarding gate (on a Avios 2-4-1 booking). I think it was a really nice high quality looking and feeling product, and I definitely thought it felt more special than F on BA’s A380. Sorry you probably don’t want to hear that though :p

• Andrew says:

Thanks! That’s really useful to know about the shuttle between Monterey and SFO.

Even with Google, finding public transport routes in the US is a bit hit and miss – I’ve turned up for a service only to find that the owner-operator has decided to take a day off.

When we visited Monterey last year we ended up taking the Caltrain from San Francisco to San Jose and the local bus company service coach to Monterey. Large comfortable coach and everything worked well – but limited times.

The Intercontinental at Monterey is superb, I’m planning on a return trip.

• Tilly says:

That’s a shame if you miss out. Flew out last week in F on a 787-9 and loved it …… my first F experience.

My only little moan would be, as I’m not that tall my feet only just reached the footstool even with it pulled out, so to comfortably put my feet up I had to recline the seat moving it forward. Great if you’re a taller person.

5. David says:

The Narita flights also cancelled for most of June

• JohnNI says:

I didn’t get an email but on checking manage my bookings our flight to Narita for the 11th of June had been cancelled. Have been rebooked on a flight into Haneda on same day on a 777. We were looking forward to our F flight on the Dreamliner. Other annoying thing is we had booked transfers from NRT and appears we will lose the money we paid.

• and worse, a lot less (if any) time in the CCR

For future reference, theres never any need to prebook NRT onward transport into Tokyo.

Enjoy Japan, its fabulous!

6. According to FT it looks as if BA have cancelled Narita as well for around 3 weeks in June.

• I had assumed the Narita flights would be unaffected since most of the flying is overland. I believe one of the new rules for the 789 was to be no further than 90 mins away from a landing strip? I am flying 789 F end of July, would be upsetting to have that changed.

• It’s not about flying over land, it’s about available diversion airports. Think about it – you really don’t want to be landing in the middle of a Siberian forest any more than you do the mid-Atlantic.

NRT flights tend to route over the Russian Arctic, where airports are few and far between. A reroute further south is possible but not within range limits of the aircraft, so you’d have to stop (e.g. in Novosibirsk) for fuel – not ideal. SEZ flights have been taking a 90-minute-longer route for the last few weeks but at least they can still get there in one hop.

• the over land restriction doesn’t apply to BA aircraft – this is a differing/rescheduling issue

7. Benji says:

I was booked on one of the cancelled SJC flights in J on a 2-4-1. BA emailed last week to say it was cancelled, but when I called they were very happy to re-book us onto either the SFO or OAK flight the same day (even when the SFO flights were not showing redemption seats as being available). They did try to push us onto a connection through DFW, but I wasn’t having that!

The call centre person didn’t seem to have much of a clue though – she initially tried looking a couple of days either side, and then told me that SJC to OAK was 380 miles so not a valid re-route (Google maps soon cleared that one up – its about 35 miles). I’d suggest knowing what your preferred option is before you call.

• Any experience of them entertaining BA London-NY F then a Transcontinental F NY-SFO? That’s an indirect routing I could be tempted to take.

8. Matt Black says:

I was able to get an outbound in club to Seattle with return in wtp from Vegas over the Easter holidays next year (which I immediately uua), plus a weeks hotel in Vegas for just over £1600 pp which I thought was pretty good. Nice only having to pay 10% deposit too

9. Not sure if thus is related but BA sent me an email yesterday advising our flights to BNA were cancelled. All were pushed forward one day. A quick (40 minute !) phone call has us now travelling out on BA via ORD and home, again via ORD, on AA metal.

10. Rob – can you give your opinion on how EU261/2004 applies for those on the cancelled flights to LAX & San Jose.?

• I think it only applies if the flight is cancelled less than 2 weeks before the travel date? That was why we just had to accept what BA were prepared to offer us, I.e. a flight 2 days earlier or 2 days later.

• JamesB says:

Yes, if more than two weeks notice is provided you need to accept what they offer you, a full refund, or try to negotiate mutually acceptable alternatives. It can be worst of all worlds because close in it is usuallly prohibitively expensive to cancel and rebook.

• callum says:

No you do not need to just accept what they offer. You can insist on a refund or a rerouting – either ASAP or, at your convenience, in the future.

2 weeks is only relevant for compensation, not rerouting.

• JamesB says:

@Callum, that is what I was saying. However, I do not believe the airline is obligated to reroute us if they provide more than two weeks notice. However, in my experience they have always done so, offering some alternative that has been acceptable to me. The onlh excrption was one case with flighs on Vuelling to Rome where I had to take the refund. There have been some reports in the comments of airlines being difficult in such circumstances but I have generally found that they do try to be accommodating in the handful if times ig has happened to me.

• callum says:

@JamesB – No, that isn’t remotely what you were saying – as your second sentence confusingly directly contradicts your first!

If British Airways cancels your flight then they MUST offer you a reroute. It doesn’t matter if it’s cancelled 355 days or 355 minutes beforehand. I don’t mean to sound rude, but a 5 second Google search would have told you this.

• JamesB says:

I did not say you have to accept the offer, I said you have one of three options of which accepting their offer is one of them.

• Callum says:

“you NEED TO ACCEPT what they offer you, a full refund, orTRY to negotiate mutually acceptable alternatives.”

“I DO NOT BELIEVE the airline is obligated to reroute us”

You clearly and irrefutably just stated you have no right to a reroute. I’m glad you now accept you do, but find it quite bizarre you’re pretending that was always your view when there’s a concise record of you stating the exact opposite mere centimetres away from here – following the Trump line of logic!?

• JamesB says:

Unreal, I’m out of here.

• Callum says:

@JamesB – It is indeed unreal. You’ve run away now but if you ever come back, I’m still curious how on Earth you thought you could get away with claiming you said the exact opposite of what is clearly written by you mere inches away from this comment!

So bizarre.

• BA will re-route you in this scenario, SJC is bookable on ba.com via an AA connection so I assume you get that.

11. Hey Rob, I think there is an issue with site showing links or variables, e.g. the first line of this article:

“The curse of the Boeing 787-9 is now starting to bite at .”

I’ve seen in other articles as well, dropped words.

12. Geoff says:

We have a 241 to Calgary in September on a 787 – what’s the deal with 241 flights being cancelled or re-routed given the 241 conditions that it is on BA metal, and there’s only one flight a day, or are they likely to use an alternative aircraft. Don’t want to be booking lots of accommodation to find the flight gets scrubbed.

• I know this doesn’t answer your question but you could book fully cancellable accommodation. We found taht Booking.com offered very reasonable prices for this.

13. Jovanna says:

I read earlier in the week that BA was cancelling Abu Dhabi flights over the next few weeks. I’ve a flight booked for next week but it’s still showing as operating in MMB.

14. Baggageinhall says:

I am off to SJC in June. My outbound was cancelled last week but my return is still running.

Booked in J with Avios, the agent said there was no availability to San Jose that day so she’d look either side which was no good to me.

As always it pays to offer up suggestions. I said that I’d be happy with flights to SFO or failing that, LAX with a connection. There is no Avios availability to anywhere at this short notice but the agent proactively said she’d ask her manager to convert some cash seats.

All done in under 10 minutes. Very impressed

• Yep, you shouldn’t be restricted to seats with Avios availability in this sort of situation where it’s their fault – glad they got it sorted.

15. Mercury says:

OT: Just for anyone will need an Star Alliance Gold Membership. IHG is giving a free upgrade to ANA Mileage Club Platinum Status which gives you Star Alliance Gold Membership till 31 March 2019.

• guesswho2000 says:

Eligible members only, which is undefined…well, we’ll see if I receive it, pretty good going if so!

• Gavin says:

I’m guessing eligible means you didn’t set up an ANA account today…

Got some long haul Star flights coming up in economy though so worth a go

• guesswho2000 says:

That’d be my thinking too…I did set up an ANA account today, solely for this purpose, so I’m not expecting much, but it’d be nice if it went through!

• It’s targeted, and don’t forget IHG has historically closed down accounts that registered to targeted offers that they were not eligible for.

• The small print of this deal actually says that they may close your account if you didn’t get the email.

• Although it’s also on an open page that’s showing up as #3 in Google search.

• I don’t remember seeing that they could close your account when I applied. So either they have added them in or I missed them!

I don’t want to risk my IHG account so any thoughts of best strategy? Come clean and confess saying it was a mistake or cross my fingers and hope!

• No, that small print was there when I was emailed the deal (by a reader) on the day it came out.

16. Sussex Bantam says:

Is anyone experiencing delays in getting AMEX to approve new cards ?

My wife applied for a new gold credit card about 15 days and got the “we can’t make an immediate decision” response. We haven’t heard anything yet.

I could get her to call but, as with many of us on here, I try to keep my other half away from our credit card “fun”. Anyone else had issues ?

• guesswho2000 says:

Yes, with Amex Australia, doubt there’s any link, but there could be some new bureaucratic process that’s been implemented Amex-wide?

It was an application by OH (well, it was in her name), I eventually had to inform her she needed to call up about her application, which she did. Turns out they needed to confirm the details of the supplementary cardholder (me)! Why they couldn’t have told us about that in an email, or even a phone call, I don’t know.

My advice, if they haven’t contacted you within 5-10 days, give them a bell.

• Geoff says:

Got an instant approval on Monday for my OH but also a note to say ‘We have received your Supplementary Card(s) application and have one more thing on our end to finalise before we can say yes!’ – so waiting on that, for whatever reason.

• Tilly says:

I got the same message when I applied for an SPG amex just days before I travelled to Toronto. Got back from Toronto on Monday and a shiny new card was waiting for me along with 18k MR credited to my plat card.

• johnny_c-l says:

Yes, very slow, around 3 weeks from application to getting the card for me.

17. Tilly says:

Do you mean San Jose California or San Jose Costa Rica? I’m guessing the former but just want to check. Although not too worried at this stage as our trip isn’t booked until November (to SJO).

• RUFus says:

OT just got word through this morning MBNA American Airlines card stopping in July

• guesswho2000 says:

Got word from where? MBNA? That’s a shame (albeit an expected one), I’ll need a new way to keep my AA miles alive, which is difficult enough from Australia as it is.

• Rufus says:

Yes word from MBNA closes 28th July

• If you have a VPN with a US server you can connect to you can buy any TV episode or film from FandangoNow through the aadvantage eshopping portal to stop miles from expiring. Should cost less than $2.

• Nick Burch says:

Looks like the 20th of July will be a good day to book a whole load of expensive refundable hotels on hotels.com (who take pre-payment), which you’ll sadly discover you need to cancel 2 weeks later once you’ve banked the AA miles…

• I do indeed think that would be a good idea!

• Geoff says:

Don’t know about AA miles, but hotels.com avios don’t get added until after your stay.

• Has anyone obtained such a refund before and had it put through to a different card than the one that was used for payment?

• Where would hotels.com refund the payment made with AA credit card if you no longer have the card?

• Genghis says:

Any refunds go onto cancelled cards. Oh wait – the card is cancelled so points can’t be deducted…

• happeemonkee says:

Any idea if there will be a replacement UK version of the AA card Rob

18. Simon says:

OT Any word on whether the MBNA M&M card will be closed in the foreseeable future?

• Rob Taylor says:

Just received a letter from MBNA telling me the AAdvantage card with American Airlines in closing on June 15, 2018. This is pretty annoying! :-/

• Cheggers says:

I received replacement cards last week with an expiry date of June 2021… No letter for me as yet.

• We’ve seen that before (eg bmi cards) – expiry date on card doesn’t mean anything I’m afraid.

• Update by 15th June but is 28th July before it comes to an end.

19. Cheggers says:

East Coast line brought back under public control… only for the third time…. If only that tax avoider Branson could me made to pay a bit more for socialising his losses…. Hopefully the 168 day rule will be upped to 275+ sooner rather than later.

• Cheggers says:

(Although I do appreciate this is 90% Stagecoach and only 10% Branson. But his grubby fingers are all over it.

20. Optimus Prime says:

OT – I realise this is a matter of personal choice and how much one values their avios… but I’d like to get your thoughts on this.

Looking at an Avios redemption I can pay:
    25500 Avios + £ 34.20
    or
    13600 Avios + £ 144.20

That means I’d ‘buy’ avios at 0.92p

Would you consider this a good deal or I should like at paying no more than 0.8p per point?

Thanks in advance.

• Optimus Prime says:

One more question – is it possible to book flights using avios for someone who’s not in my household account?

• Optimus Prime says:

Just found the answer to my own question: No.

• Cheggers says:

If you have few Avios points and can make use of your balance in the near future then the latter (13,600 Avios) makes sense to me. On the second question: it is complicated if you have a household account and don’t want to break it up

• Cheggers says:

Unless they are added to your Friends and Family list (which I did not know was possible – now I do – with Household accounts).

• Genghis says:

It depends how many avios you have and whether you have an imminent future need for them. I wouldn’t buy at that price personally.

And if you have a BAEC HHA, add the person to your friends and family list.

• Optimus Prime says:

Just found out about the friends and family list. Sorted.

Thanks!

• Another thing to factor in is the cash price of the flight.

• Genghis says:

Yep. A good opportunity to plug my calculator tool

• Optimus Prime says:

It’s a last minute flight for my folks on Sunday due to an emergency.

Cash prices start at EUR 334 with just hand luggage on a decent time of the day. I’m not making them take the 7am flight.

There was only availability in Club Europe. It’s a B767 and I got so excited because I confused it with the B777 with lie-flat beds and thought it’d be a nice surprise.

At least they’ll get to enjoy the Neptuno MAD T4S lounge plus priority queues when checking in, going through security and boarding.