An update on how you can redeem Avios points on Flybe

I was chatting with the Avios team about Flybe redemptions and a couple of things came up which were news to me and so may also be news to you.

I don’t think any of it was meant to be secret but there had been no real effort to communicate it widely.

Here’s the first thing:  there are now Avios seats made available on ALL Flybe flights.  This mirrors the guaranteed availability offered by British Airways in Economy on its own services.

Secondly, there is no longer any difference in availability between what it shown on avios.com and what is shown on ba.com.  This was not always the case in the past.

Redeeming Avios on Flybe

Thirdly, to clarify what we wrote last week, ba.com will tell you that you do not get a checked baggage allowance on a Flybe redemption.  This is not true – even though your e-ticket will also tell you that you do not get a free suitcase.  At the airport it should be visible to the check-in staff that you do actually have a 1 x 23kg baggage allowance.  The call centre staff have been reminded of this anomaly and should no longer be giving incorrect advice to anyone who calls to enquire.

Flybe redemptions are not always good value because of the taxes and charges, but their pricing can be high on some of the niche routes and – adding in the free suitcase – it may work out OK.

You can take a look at the Flybe route network here.  Details of their Avios partnership are here.

British Airways starts a long-haul deep clean of its aircraft - at last
MBNA is closing the UK American Airlines credit cards

Comments

1. OT – BA J from LHR-DEL and JAL DEL-NRT J in different booking. Any chance BA would check my bags through NRT? Would save some cash to get Indian visa. Any idea? Thanks

• David S says:

No. BA are among a few (?only) Oneworld airline that doesn’t do it. They would not do it for a BA to BA flight for me, so you have no chance I am afraid. Sorry but you will need to get an Evisa for India.

2. the real harry1 says:

With avios.com closing soon, I moved a few thousand Avios from IB—>avios.com—>BAEC yesterday as I always had problems (Household a/c @ BAEC) moving them IB—>BAEC.

Didn’t want to see them stranded.

I think it’s May 21st when avios.com start closing accounts.

3. the real harry1 says:

@Genghis & anybody else interested

So It transpired that Xmas Saver money when refunded because you don’t need the item goes back onto CC points. Though you need to wait for the next qtr. £200 + £12 = £212 or 50880 Avios/ Virgin miles (more on promo) or 0.417p/ point – have I got that right?

• Genghis says:

That’s very interesting. I know the original vouchers can only be used for items at Tesco but didn’t realise that they go back as cc points if item returned. v. v interesting. £636 Uber credit for £212. Nice. We really have missed you!

• Genghis says:

x 2 for me and wife which is what we normally do.

Need to be mindful of the 30k quarterly cap though if doing this…

• the real harry1 says:

Easy way to buy cheap points for you and significant other

• the real harry1 says:

Thanks G for alerting me to Xmas Saver in the first place

• Kipto says:

I seem to have missed the previous entry relating to this. Where does the £200 example come into play ?

• the real harry1 says:

Redspottedhanky changes to 3x value with effect from sometime next month (I guess with the next Tesco voucher issue) https://www.shopperpoints.co.uk/2018/01/18/victory-for-clubcard-members-tesco-delays-devaluation-of-redemption-partners/

So that would also be £636 of train travel for a £212 investment.

• xcalx says:

Welcome back Harry. This sounds right up my street. Would it not be better to top up the MAX £360.

• the real harry1 says:

Cheers. Yes, now You mention it! I just needed to see if it worked as I thought they might refund you cash or reinstate the restricted Xmas Saver vouchers, so obviously the more the merrier this year.

So that’s going to be £372 of CC points, 89,280 of BA/Virgin miles @ 0.417p

Or with the Virgin 20% bonus, 107,136 miles @ 0.347p

Or £1116 of Uber/ Redspottedhanky credit for £372

• the real harry1 says:

I just looked up whether Redspottedhanky sell season tickets – they don’t – which is a shame as my 2 younger kids take the train to school, that’s about £1300 pa so this would have been perfect. More when my son hits 16 next year. I still manage to save about £180 pa by ticket splitting, though 🙂

• birdman says:

Nothing to see here-Lets move on-remember- 3V-Sainsburys-NI-

• PerkyPat says:

sorry, should have stuck this here…
        According to T & C
        If you opt out of the Christmas Savers scheme and have topped up £25 or more in the 2018 collection period (26/12/17 – 16/10/18) you will not receive a bonus in your November statement.
        Does this mean you wouldnt get the extra £12? Still good value of course.

• the real harry1 says:

You can opt in or out instantly online. So you only need to opt in before you pay in to the scheme (say) 10th October then opt out after you get the vouchers about 3rd November.

Opting into Virgin miles for this quarter is giving you 1000 miles for free, you can opt out shortly before the vouchers are issued to avoid auto-conversion, ie you don’t need to auto-convert to get the 1000 free miles

• the real harry1 says:

You’d need to buy thing/s that won’t take you over the 30,000 limit if you decide to get a refund, no problem using more than 1 qtr as the Xmas vouchers just sit there. The £12 bonus has a fairly short expiry (6 months?) so use that first.

4. PerkyPat says:

According to T & C
    Does this mean you wouldnt get the extra £12? Still good value of course.

5. Jovan says:

I guess it is only a matter of time before United MBNA cards follow?

6. Lady London says:

Surprised the cleaning staff in the picture aren’t wearing masks.

7. Generic Middle Management says:

Hi – Newbie, forgive me if I’m in the wrong place.
    Regarding Flybe/Avios. I mainly fly to Middle/Far East from Manchester, so have been an Emirates Skywards Gold Member for some years. Over the last couple of years I’ve ended up doing 1-2 short haul flights to Europe per week, and pretty much always use Flybe.

So, I took the plunge and went Avios, using BA/Qatar/Cathay for long haul. Problem is, I can’t find any information as to what Flybe intend to do when Avios shuts down. Will the points just go into my BAEC account?

Having stuck with Le Club Accor & Emirates for years, this is all a bit confusing for me, sorry!