Bits: see Goodwood Festival of Speed with Hilton, 40% Hyatt ‘buy points’ bonus

News in brief:

Get tickets for Goodwood Festival of Speed with Hilton

(EDIT: Sorry, readers had taken the 5 Sunday pairs and remaining 3 Saturday and Friday pairs by 7.15am! Only Thursday remains as at 7.15.)

Waldorf Astoria is an official sponsor of the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year, and has made a selection of ticket packages available on the Hilton Auction site for ‘buy it now’.

These are exceptional value, especially for the Saturday and Sunday.

For 25,000 Hilton Honors points, which I value at around £85, you get tickets for two people (Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday) plus access to the trackside Waldorf Astoria viewing platform.

To put this in context, two tickets for the Saturday or Sunday plus grandstand access (which may not be as good a view as the Waldorf Astoria viewing platform) would normally cost £270.  Even on Thursday, the cheapest day, you would normally be paying £122 for two.

The festival runs from Thursday 12th July to Sunday 15th July.  You can redeem your Hilton points via the auction site here.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Last chance for a 40% bonus when you buy World of Hyatt points

Until this Wednesday, 23rd May, Hyatt is offering a 40% bonus when you buy World of Hyatt points via this link.

This is as big as World of Hyatt bonuses get.  It is also the most generous, with the full 40% bonus kicking in with a purchase of just 10,000 points.  Last time they offered 40% it only kicked in at 30,000 points.

It comes after a turbulent time for the loyalty programme, with its CEO leaving amid much criticism of the new benefits package and ludicrously high (given Hyatt’s small footprint) qualification requirements.

The deal is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

The bonus is staggered:

30% bonus on purchases of 5,000 to 9,000 points

40% bonus on purchases of 10,000+ points (the annual cap is 55,000 points pre bonus)

At the top end, you are paying $1,320 for 77,000 points (55,000 plus a 22,000 bonus).  That works out at 1.71c – or 1.27p – per point.

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca is a location where buying points may make sense.   Prices for cash are still a little scary – rooms from Euro 520 (£455) in early to mid August 2018, or Euro 575 (£500) if you want a cancellable one.  A redemption at 20,000 points per night (£254) would be a great deal.

£254 per night for a 50 sq m room in a brand new 5-star resort in Mallorca in August is a very good deal.  The Park Hyatt is actually fairly cheap for cash at £500 per night because it is still new – the St Regis Mardavall is €800 (£700) per night for a cancellable room in the same week.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

Park Hyatt Mallorca

HFP competition: Travel in style this Summer with a luxury polo shirt by Niccolò P.
My review of the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at New York JFK

Comments

1. Oops! Your Virgin correction has a typo: Last Vegas

2. TGLoyalty says:

Thanks for the heads up on the goodwood, managed to reddem 2 for the Friday 🙂

Good deal even if the WA viewing platform is no good as general admission is £50 each

3. Thanks Rob. I just managed to get the last weekend slot (Sunday) for Festival of Speed. Now all gone on Hilton Auctions. Thursday and Friday still available at 6.30am.

4. Andy H says:

Thanks for highlighting this. Sunday booked.
    This is why we love HFP 🙂

5. You can get some great once in a lifetime deals via the Hilton Honors Auctions, especially if you keep looking and patiently snipe a bargain.

However I’m not sure I’d value 25k HH pts at £85, for instance, if they were presented as options for a hotel booking I’d go for the cash alternative. Also 10k HH pts can get you a £60+ hotel, eg Hampton Newcastle or DoubleTree Sheffield. In fact I’ve seen the cash rate for these in excess of £140 when the points remained at 10k HH pts

Totally O/T: UKs airport delay stats, Luton & LGW don’t fair well, LHR does better than I expected..

• You can buy Hilton points for 0.4p in a sale so you can’t value them at more than that.

• Fair point, but that assumes you wish to buy them in advance.

And my example is still valid, I wouldnt use £140 when its only 10k for a redemption

• Rob – on the same basis are you suggesting the max redemption value of Avios is what BA/Iberia sell them at in a Groupon sale?

• They are capacity controlled and less predictable than a Hilton ‘100% buy points’ sale – although given that the Groupon deals are coming round more often these days then you could begin to argue that.

If you knew with 100% certainty that you could always buy Avios when you needed them, in the right quantity, for 1p then you would arguably change how you treated your points. Converting Tesco to Avios would become pointless, for eg, because you’d be getting what became a fixed 2.4p per 1p of voucher which is otherwise worth 3p of Uber credit or a bit less than 3p of hotels.com credit, amongst other stuff.

• I havent converted TCC to BA for years, uber is rarely of use to me, but interesting perspective on hotels.com, thanks.

For hotels I certainly think its fair to consider the redemption value of points against the lowest available cash flexible rate at time of booking. Following the 0.4p value it means that if you reliably knew the cheap 10k hotels you plan on staying in, you are guaranteeing a refundable £40/night hotel when the equivalent cash rate could be >£140.

• Genghis says:

@Triprep. You can only value something at max the cash equivalent purchase rate (otherwise you would just go out into the market and buy it).
          Re hotels.com, it works about about 2.5p / Tesco cc after taking into account effect of lost hotels.com rewards and any cash back etc.

6. Tilly says:

O/T – has anyone used AirPortr? Thought I’d try get a quote but their website is terrible. Jumps around when click on “get quote” and doesn’t actually take me to somewhere I can get a price.

• Yes, Anika used them (albeit we didn’t pay) if you do a search.

• Tilly says:

Thanks Rob. Playing around found the postcodes they service and mine isn’t included – odd given I’m on the tube in zone 6. So can’t use them anyway. I’m just being lazy so will now take my case into the office before heading to LHR in the afternoon on the tube.

• Londoner says:

I’m using it for the first time on Wednesday. Reviews looks good, and I found a referral on here that gave me £ 20 off my first order.

It was quite easy to book, and they check the bag all the way to my destination so I can walk straight to the Galleries on arrival.

If somebody needs a referral for £ 20 off, you can use this: https://airportr.mention-me.com/m/ol/vp2gf-282c9f7695 (You can remove this if against the site policy).

• Tom H says:

Used them when I travelled a different route and met my wife and kid at our destination with 5 suitcases (moving to Calgary). Airportr were awesome, seamless booking process and pickup the night before. Would highly recomend

• Brandon says:

I used them also on a number of times… best was when i used them Xmas 2016 when everybody was snowed in, it meant i didn’t have to queue up to drop my luggage off, which saved HOURS as there were mega queues due to all the cancellations etc… plus its pretty cool to be fully checked in at home….

7. berneslai says:

Re: previous Amex offers and articles on this website – is there any chance you could put a health warning on highlighting offers through links that are (supposedly) targeted? After applying for a Gold charge card, I have been refused the bonus for the companion credit card and refused the bonus for the Platinum upgrade as both were deemed to be targeted offers. I’ve dispensed with Amex as of today

• Mark2 says:

That is surprising.
      I have had both bonuses very recently despite not being targeted. They must be tightening up.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I can’t find the link to the companion gold charge card (only a new one for for the gold cc). Thankfully the Platinum upgrade remains live so I’ll be giving it a go shortly. Never had a problem in the past so fingers crossed….

• berneslai says:

The link was to the Gold credit card as a companion to the charge card (now defunct) – that was about 2 or 3 months ago. Bonus refused.

The link that has been widely shared in the comments on here and as a main article on InsiderFlyer for the Platinum charge card upgrade also led to another bonus refusal. Your mileage may vary.

• We don’t discuss this things in articles for this very reason. If people put them in the comments I can’t really control that.

• radiata says:

Equally a friend with the PRG charge card waited until the anniversary date to obtain the (?)15k bonus as had spent in excess of £10k during the year.

Upgrade to Plat link used thereafter but no bonus after £1k spend. Awaiting resolution of dispute made by telephone. Reason given was that ought to have waited six months before upgrading but that nonsensical as nil to do with cancellation and reapplying. Advised to call again and hopefully will have a sensible response.

• the real harry1 says:

My wife used the upgrade link last week, got the Plat 3 days later, paid off some council tax and banked the upgrade points at the weekend – so still working fine (for some).

• When you say refused, do you mean via web chat? If you just go ahead and apply things can be different. I wasn’t targeted for a BAPP supplementary but got 3000 avios for one just yesterday.

• berneslai says:

I’d been accepted last week and enquired why my Rewards page on the app had not updated (even with my previous Gold card spend). Web chat asked about the bonus I was due and stated that it was not showing on my account (nor would it) and that is was a targeted offer not available to me.

• AndyW says:

Have you hit the required spend for the Plat? The rewards page didn’t update for me, and this is fairly typical, but the bonus hit once I had spent the £1,000. If you are not targeted this is always a punt (though one that generally works), and I think if you read the site and comments regularly this is clear.

• I’m just about to hit my £1K spend but don’t know wheher I’ll get the bonus or not. Hopefully I will but I know it was a bit of a punt. Prior to applying for upgrade I asked them whether I woudl be eligible for the 20K points _ i was told no but thought I’d chance it anyway. Hopefully, I’ll at least get the 18K points for referring my wife to a Gold CC from my platinum.

• Well, I’ve now gone through the £1K spend requirement and there is no sign of my 20K bonus points. Guess they aren’t giving them out to everybody anymore. The link didn’t mention that it was invite only which is slightly deceptive on AMEX’s part I think.

8. Stu N says:

OT: Any recommendations for hotel for Heathrow. Get into T3 at 2120 on a Sunday and out of T5 at 0700 on a Monday. T5 Sofitel would be a waste of money; is there anything directly connected to T2-T3 so I can jump on tube or Hex in the morning?

• Grimz says:

Premier Inn T4 – I got a family room for £33

• Stu N says:

Is a T4-T5 landside connection not a pain though?

• The free bus (482/490) from Premier Inn T4 goes to T5 as well

• Roberto says:

Its not a pian..
          Get the free bus outside
          Think its the 482 or 490 but its well signposted from both ends.
          And the Premier Inn at T4 is a great hotel for the price..

• Nick M says:

We did it with 2 children under 3 last summer, no issues at all…(plus parked at T5 Hilton to make it more convoluted!

We need to fly out of T5 again next month for a weekend, but will need carseats etc this time – do people think the T5 Premier Inn will be a better option? Or any reasonable hotels that aren’t too expensive, have parking, family rooms and are easy enough to get to the terminal for an early flight with 2 seats?

• Stu N says:

The bus option makes much more sense – I was thinking T4-T5 was tube/train to T2 then change for T5. Given it’s £35 on my date vs £150ish for Sofitel and everything else is a bus ride away from T5 anyway, I reckon it’s got to be worth getting out of bed 20 minutes earlier to save £100+.

• I stayed at the Premier Inn at T4 in March flying out of T5 the following morning. I don’t really do buses if I can help it so used the train to T2/3 and then HEX. It took about 20 minutes. It was no hassle. I’d do it again.

9. Clive says:

OT – Does the auto convert of Accor points still work and if so can someone please advise the procedure as tried using Robs article but does not work. Thanks

• Oddly, I did get it to work a few weeks ago, via the Iberia page. It may be something to do with internet browser? I was expecting trouble but it went through.

• Clive says:

When you say Iberia page Rob is that within Accor or something different?

10. Mark1980 says:

Slightly OT but i’ve got my £55 Park lane stay this weekend. Theyve sent me an email with a link to e-standby upgrades. I am able to select a King Exec Room at no additional cost or some suites for extra £££. If I select the Kind Exec upgrade – how likely am I to get this and am I best off doing this now or chancing an upgrade at Check-in. I am Hilton Gold. Cheers.

11. “I would love to go but apparently I will be touring castles in Northern Germany that week, according to my wife ……”

Are you sure your missus doesn’t wear the trousers? 😉

• If I really want to go somewhere I can just arrange a HFP ‘review’ there and have a break without my wife or the kids 🙂 Best to let her have her own way on family trips!

• I thought that sounded more fun than car racing TBH!