BA Sale

Has a 2nd Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher appeared in your account?

I’ve had numerous emails from readers in recent days who have found a new upgrade voucher appearing in their avios.com account courtesy of their Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card.

If you didn’t get an email telling you it was there, it is worth checking anyway.  It will say:

Lloyds Bank Avios Rewards Upgrade Voucher
Valid from 29/09/2018
Expiry date 31/10/2019

It isn’t clear what is happening here, but it is a widespread situation.  My best guess is that this is part of the process of closing down the current cards.

Or, of course, it could be a mistake.

Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher

Lloyds was struggling to find a sensible plan which would allow them to close the cards.  They are being forcibly replaced with ‘next generation’ Mastercard-only Lloyds Avios Rewards credit cards which are substantially different from what you have now.

The new Lloyds Avios Rewards Mastercard will offer:

No annual fee

0.4 Avios per £1 you spend in the UK

0.8 Avios per £1 you spend outside the UK

0.4 Avios per £1 transferred on a balance transfer (this is a new benefit – Lloyds Duo Avios cardholders used to get Avios on balance transfers but Lloyds Avios Rewards cardholders did not)

….. plus an extra 25% bonus for Club Lloyds current account holders.

The bad news is:

There will no longer be a generous Amex card option

Overseas spending is no longer free – you will pay 2.99% on FX spend

There will no longer be an upgrade voucher

Because most cardholders will have their old card closed part-way through their membership year, it would be unfair to stop them getting a final upgrade voucher.

Lloyds may have decided that the cleanest thing to do is to give every cardholder their current year voucher.  It may also be a gesture towards Avios Rewards cardholders who are annoyed by the loss of 0% FX fees and the voucher.

Perhaps you should spend it quickly, though, just in case it is an error!

Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss (Oct '18)
IHG launches a four-day UK and Ireland Flash Sale

BA Sale

Comments

1. I only have one voucher issued on 28th April 2018 and valid until 31st May 2019 even though I got the paper letter from Avios in June and my membership year did not end until late August.

They have taken payment for another year’s membership at £24 in late August but I won’t yet be anywhere close to hitting the £7,000 for another voucher, although I may be able to get there in one fell swoop shortly due to a large number of bills I am having to pay on my late mother’s estate and that I can sometime settle on my Lloyds Mastercard (usually the people in question don’t take Amex) before then recharging them to the estate bank account.

• P.S. I think they will end up having to give all of us another flight upgrade voucher (or at least those who have not yet qualified for one in the current year by the time of closure of the current product) if they still plan to close everything down and replace it with the fee free mastercard in mid November as originally scheduled…………..

Otherwise they will be being demonstrably unfair in the opportunity to earn another voucher to different groups of cardholder depending on when their annual renewal date was.

• fivebobbill says:

Fair play to anyone who got an extra voucher, but to be perfectly honest I’m gonna be pretty miffed if I don’t get one too! When I heard of the Lloyds avios demise I pushed all my spend through the card to reach the £7k spend, frankly if I’d known they’d be giving me a voucher anyway I could have put that 7k through Hilton etc

2. What's the Point says:

No vouchers in either of our accounts. Anniversary for both cards was July and Aug.
    I am currently halfway through spending £7k on one, so I will be quite annoyed if random accounts are getting vouchers but I don’t end up with one after spending the required amount!

3. I can just see another mail coming out saying it was an IT error. Here’s 100 Avios for the inconvenience.

4. I have 2 now!

5. I have one, which had already seen, but I think it might be the normal spend/annual cycle – although I can’t remember my card anniversary (is there any way to check?)

I haven’t had a letter yet so maybe I’ll get another one for my short year to come?

6. Joanne R says:

I signed up for Lloyds Avios rewards card earlier this year. I received a voucher in June when I’d reached £7k spend, and have just received another voucher last week (haven’t spent an additional £7k in the meantime)

Per the letter received from Lloyds, my avios Amex card was supposed to be phasing out end September – is the extra voucher given when you’re phased out of the current scheme? Could explain why some have vouchers, and some don’t?

7. I got another voucher earlier this week, with an email saying that it was because I had spent £7k on my card. I had already earned one earlier this year, and I assumed I had hit £14k, so they gave me a second voucher (which is not part of the terms). They did the same last year though.

8. Thanks Rob for reminding me to check
    my Avios account.
    Just returned from long booked trip using upgrade voucher and received email from Lloyd’s this week re new voucher. Only checked this morning to find I also have voucher that I have to use by end of this month.
    Now to do some research ……..

9. Edward Clifton-Brown says:

I have not received a letter saying my card is being phased out, and nor have I received a second voucher. I wonder whether the two are connected.

10. Spoke to Avios and they said “It has been picked up that a number of vouchers have been issued in error and it is being worked through to remediate the issue as soon as possible”

Get booking, if you have one.

• And thanks to everyone who put it on a public forum.I have said it yesterday. Some thing are best left unsaid…

11. Voucher says:

Lloyd’s voucher T&Cs appear to have changed

Can’t currently book two one ways for same person

Eg One person travelling
    Outbound LHR – NRT
    Return HKG – LHR

Avios.com staff saying has to be booked as a return itinerary thus no tax saving ex HKG

Apparently terms used to state:

UPGRADE VOUCHERS CAN BE USED TO UPGRADE EITHER 2 ONE WAY FLIGHTS OR 1 RETURN JOURNEY BOOKED ON A BRITISH AIRWAYS MAIN LINE SERVICE

But now say:

UPGRADE VOUCHERS CAN BE USED TO UPGRADE EITHER 2 ONE WAY FLIGHTS FOR 2 PEOPLE TRAVELLING AT THE SAME TIME AND TO THE SAME DESTINATION OR 1 RETURN JOURNEY BOOKED ON A BRITISH AIRWAYS MAIN LINE SERVICE

Anyone aware?

• It was always two one way flights of people travelling together, I believe. So if they changed it, it’s only a clarification.

• Shoestring says:

Significant change to the T&Cs – if true – but as the 2-4-1 is disappearing with the demise of the card, hardly earth-shattering

• the_real_a says:

That’s always been the case to my knowledge, although if you called up since the points discount was a manual override you could persuade them to do anything.

By the strictest interpretation 2 one ways (different PNRs) were never allowed. However, an open jaw return on a single PNR was allowed. I was always told that you needed to fly from the same avios zone, however i know people who booked a a legal open jaw defined as “The geographic distance between your original landing airport and your new departure airport must be SHORTER than either of the two flights.”

Rob covered this here https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/10/01/how-to-book-open-jaw-redemption-with-avios/