BA sale

American Express Shop Small is returning in December

American Express Shop Small is returning in December.

‘Shop Small’ is an annual American Express promotion which can prove very lucrative.  You receive £5 cashback for every purchase of £10 or more you make in a ‘small shop’ which is generally any independent retailer – including quite a few pubs!

Whilst limited to one credit per shop, you can register every American Express you earn to multiply your returns.

It has not been officially confirmed that Shop Small will return in 2018.  The website (here) is not saying anything.

However, my understanding is that it WILL happen.  It is pencilled in for 1st to 16th December 2018.

We will cover this again nearer the time.

Why you should now be wary about visiting the Plaza Premium lounge in Terminal 5
British Airways to drop trolley food service in Club World

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Nick Jablonski says:

I am a subscriber to e-rewards (it’s a good way to earn a few points which in my case are then converted to either Hilton Honors points or Avios).

One of the surveys I completed this week was about the AMEX Shop Small promotion and it confirmed that it WILL be going ahead during the dates that you mention.

2. OT: I have been trying to migrate my Vueling account to Vueling Club for months and keep getting error messages. After a Twitter exchange with customer services, I have been instructed to call a number in Spain. Forget that – I will take my custom elsewhere. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

3. Experienced the CW trolley service on recent flight LHR-HKG. Took 3 hours and seemed overly complicated, plus made it almost impossible to pass through galley to washrooms etc. Crew generally annoyed that new arrangements were brought in without any input from them. Then flew bakc to LHR on CX who had similar service and it worked smoothly and swiftly!

• Been fortunate enough not to have flown BA for ages but I have flown CX who manage trolley service perfectly fine, as WF says. What is so difficult about it (genuine question)?

4. I haven’t sampled the new (or should it now be called the old) trolley service, so working on assumptions here…

How on earth should it take 2-3 hours when my logic suggests it’s a more efficient delivery method than Galley-to-Seat for each individual passenger?

As the article suggests, the only change since the heralded ‘£600m relaunch’ is the new bedding and amenity kits. One can only assume the quoted expenditure includes the upcoming seat refresh with the initial introduction of the A350 version?

5. Am I right in thinking that a Plat self-referring would potentially get 18k MR?

Would it not be better to self-refer for the Gold Credit card and potentially get the 22k sign up bonus as well as referral bonus?

6. Shoestring says:

I was checking out the Shop Small map last night, pretty poor pickings for me apart from 3 chippies and a decent pub (which last year had messed up Amex acceptance just at the wrong juncture!)

Might be a way to get some half price stamps if I check carefully.

• FlyUpTop says:

I’ve always found the local map out of date. I have been into shops listed and owners stated they have not used amex for years.
      Best to check first before spending..

• Genghis says:

Amex usually credit anyway if Amex not accepted and they’re on the map

• But, if you phone up amex, inform them, they will credit you the £5.

• Shoestring says:

They got sniffy about crediting me multiple £5s LY and said I would not be allowed any more manual credits for 6 months! Pretty unfair as a £5 credit is there purely because they got it wrong. You could always HUACA but I figured they were putting a note on the a/c to that effect.

• Chris Palmer says:

It very much depends where you live. Unsurprisingly, in London, there are plenty. The first year they ran it, it was £5 off a £5 spend. I visited practically every corner shop in West and South West London buying exactly £5 worth of beer! Sensibly, though sadly, they changed it to £5 off £10 the year after.

• Gin and Tonic Please says:

I just checked the map too. It’s got mostly the same places listed near me as it did last year – including several of the venues that I know don’t accept Amex. One in particular (local restaurant) is showing as a New Listing, despite the fact they stopped taking Amex 15 months ago.

I also had issues last year with them crediting for venues that were listed but didn’t accept Amex. I ended up getting a total of 10 credits, though in reality it should have been closer to 20. They really should sort out that map…

7. Harry, l took your advice couple years again, and have had half price stamps for 2 years now. ESP useful when sending something recorded etc. Counter staff don’t really like us coming with the pre stamped envelope!

8. B Brooks says:

Shop small has been confirmed by AMEX
    As a business owner, I received a merchant email saying it’s ‘on it’s way’. It will launch on Small Business Saturday 1st December to 16th.

9. Sussex bantam says:

Data point – I didn’t get the email about the Tesco transfer bonus but thought I’d give it a go anyway. Did the transfers yesterday which arrived today but sadly no bonus 🙁

10. Nigel the Pensioner says:

I too cant see where £600m has / is being spent. I really don’t care who makes the seat cover and duvet or blanket in CW as long as the seat topper is comfy. The blanket is usually kicked off within 20 mins or so as the cabin is woefully hot. As for the amenity kit in CW well what a waste of time. You can save the old mini duffel bags and use one for each shoe you pack in future. The contents are binned on the plane. The only decent thing in first is the pen!
    I also believe that I have had several CW food servings straight from the galley this year, with wine coming on a trolley. I assumed that this was a feature of either upstairs on a 744 or row 10 on a 777. Not sure. Will try to remember to check downstairs on Tuesday on BA 285 to see what happens down there. F is served galley to seat to I assume that this is considered a superior service?
    Cruz’s time is up. He has to go. Maybe Coco the Clown will do a better job. When Cruz does go back to baggage handling, we will have to travel cabin baggage only – goodness knows where your checked luggage will end up!!

• I think Cruz is doing a good job, even if you dislike him (I´m not arguing whether he could do a better job, because that´s all hypothetical). The BA operations are working (look at other EU carriers, LH Group or AF group), flights usually on time (again look at other carriers), carrying more pax than ever, to more destinations than ever. And managing a good profit. Of course we can all dream of having a British Qatar Airways, but I guess you have not seen the prices Qatar charges if you depart from Doha.
      I mean, you can always travel with someone else, no one forces you to fly on BA.

• BA on its day was more innovative and at the leading edge than Qatar have ever been. In 10-20 years I imagine most carriers business class cabins will more closely resemble CW than Qsuites.

11. OT,
    Florida holiday recommendations

Picked up reward flights to Miami yesterday, for Feb. We normally stay on South Beach but would like a change, thinking of West Palm beach area. Any recommendations for a hotel close to the centre, or a similar town up the east coast. It will be cash not points.

Thanks