Get 2p per Avios using ‘Part Pay With Avios’ until Monday (for economy ….)

British Airways has launched a very generous tweak to its ‘Part Pay With Avios’ proposition, for just four days.

Until Monday 22nd October, Executive Club Members can save £100 on a World Traveller flight for just 5,000 Avios.

This works out at an attractive 2p per Avios.

Full details are on this special page of ba.com.

Usually 14,500 Avios gives you £90 saving, which is just 0.62p per Avios. This is why we rarely recommend using ‘Part Pay With Avios’ for large discounts, although it is a better deal at lower levels.

Until 22nd October you will get £100 off a return flight with 5,000 Avios. This offer is valid on long haul return bookings departing from the UK for up to nine people on one booking – so a family of four would save £400 in total when using 20,000 Avios. The maximum discount per person is £100.

The snag is that the offer is only valid for long-haul Economy (World Traveller) bookings. It would have been good to see 2p per Avios for a large discount on a Club World or World Traveller Plus ticket, but if you are happy with World Traveller then this is a decent deal.

British Airways 5000 Avios £100 offer

You must book by Monday 22nd October for travel between 19th October 2018 and 9th October 2019.  Basically you can book as far out as the BA booking system will let you with no restrictions.

No registration is required. The offer will automatically show on ba.com when you reach the payment page as long as you are logged in.

The special offer page for the deal is here.

PS. British Airways is also offering a 50% bonus when you buy Avios this weekend.  The bonus applies to even the smallest purchase of 1,000 Avios.  If you don’t have 5,000 Avios in your account and need to book a World Traveller flight, you will make a small saving by purchasing some Avios first. You will be paying close to 1p per Avios and getting 2p each for them. The page to buy Avios is here.

No 1 announces three new UK lounges - and save 20% on the £5 Priority Pass booking fee
British Airways launches new route to Charleston, South Carolina - bookable now with Avios

Comments

1. OT – just managed to bag first class return flights to NY using the 241 voucher. Thanks to everyone here who has helped us!

We’ll be flying as a couple and have never flown first before. Any suggestions on which seats to reserve?

It’s a 747 both ways.

Thanks!

• We always choose 2e/2f i.e. side by side seats but it is a matter of personal preference. Some people like a window seat, but the clouds all look the same to me.

• We’re doing the same next May. I’ve read that the middle seats can be cramped and not very private so gone for 2 A and K as we’ll both be reading and watching different things anyway and both like window seats. I recall you can see the ice floes of Canada out of the window, not just clouds!

• Genghis says:

We sit one behind the other usually. Doing A and K means you need to move right right to talk to each other.

• We can talk in the check in and security queues, in the lounge, and in the immigration queue at JFK, that’s plenty for one day ????.

• Also, does anyone know what time they serve breakfast in the Concorde lounge till? The breakfast offering at MAN is dull in the extreme but we’ll hopefully get to T5 by 9.45 am and I’ve got my heart set on Eggs Benedict with LGPS on my birthday!

• Last year I had Eggs Benedict with Pulled Pork which was good, but with Oregon Pinot Gris.
        Last week had Eggs Benedict with bison sausage in café above a dress shop in North Conway, New Hampshire, which was as good but very different surroundings and very wide choice on menu.

2. Just priced up LHR-IAD 15 May for 14 nights
    BA £400pp before the discount
    VS £600pp

So I can get 2 of us on BA for the same price VS are charging for one. I’ll earn 9280 Avios for the flights so it’ll only “cost” 720 Avios for the £200 discount.

Now to convince the husband he can bear BA economy for the ~7 hours or so (of course he can having survived SYD round trip on the penultimate row…).

• Book the exit row seats for about £60 each and it’s a completely different experience! Much better value for money than PE IMO.

3. Peter Alderson says:

When I log in to my Executive Club account it does not show a bonus on purchased Avios. I am doing something wrong?

• You have to go to the “purchasing avios” page and click on the drop down box, it should show all the prices and bonuses.

4. OT: Has anybody had the bonus 1000 Avios credit from the exchanging £5.00 of Clubcard vouchers yet. Have received the base, just not the bonus. Just wondering as I converted from a different Clubcard account to the one I actually received the promo email from?

I know it says it could take up to 28 days after promo ends(15/11), but just wondering if any had actually posted.

Thanks

5. Warwick says:

Is it possible to book with this discount (using my BAEC) and swap FF account to QF where I have status and credit all my flights?

6. Just made economy booking using discount. Managed to upgrade one way to traveller plus with cash via call center. Does anyone know if I can now upgrade that to business via avios if available?

• Do you know if you can upgrade using Avios to PE having used Avios to part pay for your economy ticket ??

Second part…..
      If there is no PE on a service, only economy the biz, how many Avios are needed to upgrade ? Is it the same as going from Econ to pe, pe to biz or something else ?

• Jonathan says:

If you’re talking about the mid haul A321 then it’s difference in Avios & fees between Economy & Business redemption.

7. Off topicish……..

Avios. To be used via Iberia account (as they were ‘earnt in the 90k for £200 ‘offer’), thinking of using the multiple airline chart.
    100k Avios can get you upto 8,000 miles of travel.
    My question is…..how do you know what OneWorld consider the length of each flight ? Is there a distance mapping tool which matches the distances used by airlines for these calculations ??

Cheers.

Looking for interesting scuba diving locations (which don’t charge in us$ or € given the FX rate from GBP at the moment).

• Have you dived in Iceland yet? Thingvellir National Park. Its interesting and the currency is Icelandic Krona. But if you want somewhere warm then disregard my comment!

• Shoestring says:

@James – somewhat unrealistic to think you can find a location where the GBP is strong! But Thailand and Indonesia are still cheap. I’ve dived off several of the Thai islands, eg Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Chang – plus around Bali and Sulawesi (in particular Bunaken – fly into Manado) – & would recommend them all, Bali maybe least but it’s still OK for diving, you need to get away from tourist areas. Likewise, Philippines will be cheap though not been there. Closer to home, Red Sea? Liveaboard diving probably still quite cheap given Egypt issues. They were into wrecks (which I’m not) – but plenty of sealife. Also enjoyed Roatan (fly into Tegucigalpa) and although basically USD, it was extremely cheap esp eats/ hotel/ diving – great diving as well. Only ever done warm water, Iceland sounds a tad chilly!

8. I’ve noticed here:
    that Cairo is in band 4 which is therefore 42,500 Avios return in biz (off peak).

Can the 90,000 Avios gained from the weird promo Iberia did recently be used for those flights from Madrid ?
    It seems to use BA metal from LHR-CAI.

9. Matthew says:

O/T – is Amex tightening up on churning? I know three people in last 4 weeks all been declined a new card despite having a long history with Amex , excellent credit scores and a little bit of Amex churning but not crazy.

Anyone else had/heard of the same…

• Also long history lots of churning. In the last 3 weeks I have SPG 2nd this year, BA (free) 1st ever BA card. Just ready to cancel Gold CC from 8 week ago.

10. AndyGWP says:

Thanks for this post Rob – it’s a while since I’ve done a long-haul cash flight, and even longer since it has been in economy but more than happy to for the price I could get for May half-term (which is similar to what I was paying for a Ryanair flight to Malaga this year, with similar restrictions on seat selection and baggage).

This will be my first long-haul flight with no hold luggage… I’ll cope fine, but it will restrict the goodies (booze!) I can bring back 🙂