REGISTER NOW: IHG launches its new Accelerate-style promotion for January to April

IHG Rewards Club, the loyalty scheme covering InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc, has launched its new Spring promotion.

It is fundamentally another version of the long-running Accelerate offer, although this time it is called “Reward Nights. Faster.”

You can find out your targets, and register, on the IHG website here.

It is valid for stays between 15th January and 30th April.  The closing date for registration is 15th March – this is the first time I can remember that IHG has closed registrations early.

IHG Reward Nights Faster Spring promotion 2019

Once I had registered, I got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

19,200 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

5,600 bonus points for 2 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

8,000 bonus points for four stays booked on the corporate rate of the company I haven’t worked for since 2011, and which has special rates at very few properties anyway ….

3,000 bonus points for one stay in February

42,800 bonus points for completing four of the five targets above

This is fairly useless to me, frankly.  It is virtually impossible to hit the weekends target and I can’t see any scenario under which I could hit the ‘corporate rate’ target.

The 19,200 points bonus for staying at three different brands is an interesting one, however.  If I value an IHG point at 0.4p then I’m getting almost £80 of points back from those three stays – plus my standard points and the 3,000 points for a February stay – which is a good deal.

Realistically, I might be able to achieve 32,200 bonus points.  This would involve staying five nights over the next four months, taking in three different brands and ensuring one stay is in February.

My wife got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

28,800 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

8,400 bonus points for two Holiday Inn stays

10,800 bonus points for 3 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

6,600 bonus points for booking two ‘Bonus Point Packages’ (this is when the reservation system offers you additional points on your stay in return for paying a slightly higher rate)

This is VERY interesting:

she could earn 35,400 bonus points from just three nights, as long as each was at a different brand and two were ‘Bonus Point Packages’

she could earn 58,000 bonus points (worth £232 based on my 0.4p valuation) from just five nights, as long as they included two Holiday Inn nights, three different brands in total and two of the bookings were for ‘Bonus Point Packages’

IHG Rewards Club Reward Nights Faster bonus points promotion

Conclusion

The new IHG Rewards Club promotion is, at least in my house, surprisingly generous.

We don’t know what Marriott Rewards will do when MegaBonus ends on 31st January (MegaBonus details are here).  However, IHG’s ‘Rewards Nights. Faster.’ offer is looking a lot more generous for us (your position may be different) than Hilton’s new ‘2,000 bonus points per stay’ offer which I wrote about here.

I strongly recommend signing up now, especially as IHG is closing registrations early on 15th March, even though stays until 30th April count.  Remember that only stays from 15th January count – existing bookings are OK and do not need to be rebooked.

You can register for the new IHG promotion here.

Avios Ireland: 50% bonus Avios in AerClub with SuperValu
Why Amex Gold is the ideal starter Amex for a miles and points newcomer

IHG

Comments

1. Was very happy to see “Gold Elite Bonus. Stay 3 night(s) and continue your Gold Elite status for 2019” since I just lost my status from the New Year. However, confused by the T&Cs and hoping it does in fact mean I *return* to Gold status despite what those say, otherwise it would be nonsensical anyway as if I was already Gold I wouldn’t need this promotion as it would be valid to 31/12/19 already wouldn’t it? And the “Gold after next qualified night” doesn’t tally either. — “Must be a Gold Elite IHG® Rewards Club member and must register your member number in advance to participate in this Promotion (“Registration”). Gold Elite status will be awarded to the member after the consumption of their next qualified night. Stays must be completed between 15 January 2019 and 30 April 2019. Gold Elite status will be valid until 31st December 2019, after which member must re-earn Elite status.”

• Lady London says:

I got the same last year, gave IHG quite a bit more than the 1 night required. Now they’re trying not to do it. Have sent them a stiff note and poised so they get no nights at all this year if they dont honor what they offered me.

Plus the new Accelerate has been rubbish for 18 months now. Pointsbreaks has been gutted even being willing to pay the new higher Pointsbreaks rates.

cant really see how IHG hopes to compete for someone spending a great deal of money on hotel nights for business each year.

• Lady London says:

After IHG tried not to honour the offer they made me of status return to Gold this year after 1 night (I gave them 1, + 3 more out of goodwill on this) I wrote them a polite but firm note requesting them to check what they’d sent me and my stays, and review.

I’m pleased to say they have now come back with an apology and agreed to renew. Gold’s not much, but every litttle helps. I’ll give them whatever stays I can this year now instead of ignoring them completely.

Accor are the ones that have to step up to the plate now if they want to still be in the frame for my bookings. 2 other chains with better offers are snapping at their heels. Let’s see if they release their accumulator promo in next week or two. I didn’t find their Business membership much use at all except for giving softer cancellation terms and won’ be renewing. The accumulator promo is the only one from them that would keep my attention now.l

2. Kfitzat says:

I am not happy that I need 6 out 6 offers to trigger the bonus, specially as one of the offers is two stays of 4 nights or longer.

Also, reading the Terms and Conditions, I am unable to determine if the new Principal hotels such as those in York or Leeds would be included.

3. 22,400 Stay at 4 brands
    8,400 Stay at 2 Crowne Plaza® hotel(s)
    8,000 Stay 4 time(s) using your corporate rate
    12,000 Earn 12,000 bonus points when you book 2 stay(s) of 4 or more consecutive nights.
    3,000 Stay once in February

• pommy ray says:

that’s very tough I think! only 1 stay in Feb is ok and bonus for doing all of them.

4. Czechoslovakia says:

Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 8 night(s) and earn 12,000 bonus points. Terms
    Stay at 2 brands and get 16,800 bonus points
    Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 8,400 bonus points. Terms
    Earn 4,000 bonus points when you book 1 stay(s) of 4 or more consecutive nights. Terms

Staying 2 brands worth the effort only this time around. As a platinum ambassador, also got the odd:

Stay 5 nights and enjoy the upgrades of Platinum Elite status for 2019

5. Was hoping for the 10,000 for 5 nights as I’m off on the 16h Jan to the Barclay in New York for 5 nights, but I’ve only got 2,000 for 4 nights.

6. Glasgirl says:

Unsurprisingly they aren’t as generous to people who don’t have as many points to begin with (or status) – I got a total offer of 40k as below:

1,000 Go Places with the IHG® App
    Earn 1,000 bonus points when you download, sign in and book 1 stay(s) with the IHG® App.
    2,000 Stay More, Earn More
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 4 night(s) and earn 2,000 bonus points.
    3,000 Discover Our Brands
    Stay at 2 brands and get 3,000 bonus points.
    4,000 Saturday Stays Bonus
    Stay 3 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 4,000 bonus points.
    10,000 Your Achievement Bonus
    Complete 3 of the 4 offers and earn (an additional) 10,000 bonus points.
    20,000 Your Achievement Bonus
    Complete 4 of the 4 offers and earn (an additional) 20,000 bonus points.

A paltry 4k for THREE weekend stays. Yikes.

• Not sure how they target, I have 120k points in the IHG account and they gave me the same offer. It’s not very good really.

• AndyGWP says:

I’m the same as you Tim…

• Glasgirl says:

Oh wow. I only have about 6500 so assumed it was due to that. That IS poor at 120k!

• Stay at 3 brands and get 28,800 bonus points
          Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotel(s) and earn 8,400 bonus points
          Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 2 Bonus Points Package stay(s)”

so 52,200 total, but I suspect I’ll only go for the 3 brands one. Have well over 700k points sitting in my account, chasing more isn’t really worth it.

7. Stay at 2 brands and get 16,000 bonus points.

Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 8,000 bonus points.

Book 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash and earn 4,500 bonus points. Points & Cash allows you to book Reward Nights with fewer points.

Stay at 2 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 5,600 bonus points.

Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 2 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.

2,000 February Bonus Offer
    Stay once in February and get 2,000 bonus points.

Mine looks rather appealing especially as I am needing to book another night to get the stay 2 nights get 1 free promo. Can I just confirm that any property bookable through IHG is an IHG hotel, and if I booked two nights at different brands using the bonus point package this would hit 4 of my targets if one booking was in Feb?

8. Stephen C says:

Stay at 4 brands and get 22,400 bonus points.

Stay at 2 Crowne Plaza® hotel(s) and earn 8,400 bonus points.

Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 3 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.

Stay 4 time(s) using your corporate rate and earn 4,400 bonus points.

Complete 4 of the 5 offers and earn (an additional) 20,900 bonus points

Stay once in February and get 3,000 bonus points

Aside from the two Crowne Plaza stays and the February stay there’s no chance. I’ve only stayed at three brands ever, four isn’t doable and the corporate rate and bonus point packages are in conflict. 4 out of 5 offers when there’s only 4 offers there….?

9. Brian S says:

The worst one I’ve ever had by a distance.

40,000 Double Your Stay
    3,000 February Bonus Offer

I’ve got about 240k points and Spire ambassador, the accelerate offers have got much worse since I began using IHG more often.

• Stephen C says:

Ditto, I have 500k+ points and Spire, offers have been dire the last 12 months

• Lady London says:

It’s worse than that. Even searching for hotels (I booked a lot last year but IHG just wasnt competitive or available for the majority of my nights) they seem to count you as someone not needing incentives to book.

And I’m pretty sure if you book and cancel a reward stay they regard those night(s) as business you’re already doing with them. So that pushes the bar of stays they want on Accelerate/ this new Accelerate replacement, higher too. This is how it’s seemed to work with my offers past 18 months.

• Same offers for me as Spire. Going to leave IHG alone for a while and see if they can improve their offers.

10. jimmyjimmy says:

Wow mines is awful – 5 brands, 3 weekends, 6 hotels, 4 consecutive nights and 4 stays with corporate rate and i don’t work for a corporation, never had and never booked with this rate!!!
    aargh

• I got a corporate rate target and don’t have access to a corporate rate either. Very odd. And frustrating.

11. pommy ray says:

I wonder if the MasterCard special rate is considered corporate as it is certainly not your rate ?

12. 4,000 – Stay More, Earn More
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 4 night(s) and earn 4,000 bonus points.

12,000 – Saturday Stays Bonus
    Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 12,000 bonus points.

2,800 – Stay at 2 IHG® Hotels
    Stay at 2 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 2,800 bonus points.

6,600 – Earn More, Faster

14,600 – Your Achievement Bonus
    Complete 4 of the 5 offers and earn (an additional) 14,600 bonus points.

2,000 – February Bonus Offer
    Stay once in February and get 2,000 bonus points.

So there is potential for me to layer the offer in such a way that I achieve the target by booking two 2-night weekend bonus-point stays in different hotels. Ideally with one of those weekends being in February.

13. pommy ray says:

only just got plat from 30 December stay so why this useless offer now? unless it was actually generated as an idea before 30 Dec stay was processed:

Stay 7 nights and continue your Platinum Elite status for 2019.

Must be a Platinum Elite IHG® Rewards Club member. Platinum Elite status will be awarded to member after the consumption of their next 3 qualified nights. Nights must be completed between 15 January 2019 and 30 April 2019. Platinum Elite status will be valid until 31st December, 2019 after which member must re-earn Platinum Elite status.

• TGLoyalty says:

These offers seem strange as it says you must be the tier already and anyone who is gold or plat on 1st Jan already has it until dec 19.

Unless they have the expiry date wrong and it’s actually offering you plat until dec 2020.

Not something I’d chase anyway. Ambassador comes with Plat from feb and costs a lot less than 7 nights in a hotel.

• pommy ray says:

thanks have plat already so email them about the typo should be spire etc!

but you are right ambassador plat thing could be interesting option to buying bonus points packages which are quite a bit more than the advanced rate.

• TGLoyalty says:

that makes more sense

Gold get Plat and Plat get Spire.

Other option is actually the creation credit card well worth the £99 with the free night if you spend £10k a year on it, which is easy with curve.

14. antoinette calleja says:

I have:
    Stay at Holiday Inn®
    Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotel(s)—including Holiday Inn Resort® and Holiday Inn Club Vacations®—and earn 5,600 bonus points

Does this mean i have to stay at a HI Resort or HI Club Vacation or is it just saying that stays at these brands also count?
    I was planning on staying at IC and an HIX – do you think this would trigger?

15. Does anyone know if a stay would count if it starts before the promo period of the 15th but the checkout is after the 15th?