DEAL OVER: BA selling long haul Economy seats at £100 each way (100th birthday offer)

If you were wondering why Virgin Atlantic brought back its £1 ‘Golden Tickets’ game on Monday (see this article), it seems to be a spoiler for a new British Airways offer.

As part of its 100th birthday celebrations, British Airways will be selling 100 long-haul Economy seats each day for £200 return, ie £100 each way.

Different routes will be offered each day between Monday and Thursday at noon.

There will be two different destinations each day, to include the USA, Africa and South America over the course of the week.

Tickets will be made available at noon exactly.  ba.com will collapse at around 12.00:05 ….

Destinations will be listed on this special page of ba.com.

BA 100th birthday offer

On Monday the destinations were New York and Cape Town.  On Tuesday it was Abu Dhabi and Boston.  On Wednesday it was Pittsburgh and Rio.

Travel dates have varied by destination so it is impossible to predict what will be offered on Thursday.  The window is generally about four weeks.

These tickets have booked into ‘M’ class in general but this is not guaranteed.  This means that you can upgrade them later to World Traveller Plus if Avios reward seats open up.  Do note, however, that this will trigger the higher rate of Air Passenger Duty plus additional BA surcharges so it won’t be cheap.

As an Avios earning opportunity, this is surprisingly good.  A BA Blue member would earn 6,020 Avios and 80 tier points return from the Cape Town offer.  A BA Gold would have earned a whopping 18,060 Avios return plus 80 tier points for their £200 outlay – and they got to visit Cape Town.  Although 2 x 12-hour overnight flights in Economy is not exactly an easy way of earning cheap Avios ….

The promo page for BA’s 100th birthday sale offer is here.

Have you been given 2019 free Avios from British Airways?
(GAME OVER) Get a Virgin Premium Economy flight for £1 TODAY with its (rather long-shot) Golden Ticket game

Comments

1. Newinthegame says:

Got Return to Rio for £200, thanks headforpoints.com

2. Thanks Rob, I got Pittsburgh for May half term for the three of us for £462 all in.

3. Managed to get 2 return tickets to Rio for 10 days in September – thanks HFP! Annoyingly I selected to use 4k Avios to save £40 on total price but it didn’t register and I didn’t dare take the extra time to go back and reselect it… Can’t complain too much at £200 return to Rio though!

4. BSI1978 says:

Didn’t someone write that these economy tickets were upgradeable (if availability)? I can’t seem to see the comment above and there’s no option under manage my booking so perhaps all the seats have gone already….

5. Anyone know where the updated picture is for tomorrow? First glance looks Carribean?

• The current thinking is Bermuda. If you look at the HTML, someone certainly thinks the destination is ‘romantic’: /assets/images/MediaHub/Media-Database/Royalty-free-RF/Holidays/Romantic-Holidays/80039149_1200x675.jpg

6. Thanks Rob
    Got Rio for 3 of us for 560(they charged less than 100 one way for my 26 month old daughter)
    So chuffed…

7. funkypigeon says:

Trying to prepare for a quick check out for 12 noon today. I missed out on the Rio tickets as had to type in my address and card details even though these are saved? Does anyone know if you need to follow the sale link or can you just search through the main page? The sale link takes you to an older style BA website. I’d like to practice to ensure I can checkout as fast as possible today.

Yesterday, the tickets sold out as they were confirming payment on my Amex.

• Paul Stevens says:

I had to go through the link – couldn’t find the cheap flights via the main page

• Lewis King says:

This has happened twice for me on last AMEX confirmation. Cape Town and Rio… annoying. I did get Abu Dhabi tickets though!

8. BA site crashed

9. BSI1978 says:

No chance of getting in today it seems – don’t even know the 2 destinations at this stage! Oh well, one shouldn’t be too greedy!

Hope the rest of you are having better luck!

10. anyone in yet? What are the locations?

11. Barbados philly.

12. Page not loading…

13. nope not in

quite annoying when people already have tickets and being greedy getting others when some cant even get on site

• Connection speed withstanding, we all have the same opportunity.

• Just kidding says:

If you’re genuinely ‘Rich’, you won’t be needing a £200 fare 😉

• agree they should have put some limits on it like 2 tickets per person for the week or something. but given they haven’t i can’t really blame anyone for trying to get more…
      (from a person who didn’t get any…)

14. what dates?

15. thursday says:

Barbados in half term or Philadelphia

• Michael Cheshire says:

When?

• thursday says:

Shame (and luck at the same time) I already have something for February otherwise I would have gone for Barbados!!!

BA could do more promotions like this in the future, it was quite fun. Thank you for HFP and Rob for bringing the news into my inbox!!

16. Site is not working!! Frustrating!

17. Looks like Barbados has gone.

Philly – Outbound travel between 1 – 30 September. Return by 7 October.

18. Gemma Ind says:

dates for bgi?

19. I would quite like Philly but for the first time this week I can’t get in.