DEAL OVER: BA selling long haul Economy seats at £100 each way (100th birthday offer)

If you were wondering why Virgin Atlantic brought back its £1 ‘Golden Tickets’ game on Monday (see this article), it seems to be a spoiler for a new British Airways offer.

As part of its 100th birthday celebrations, British Airways will be selling 100 long-haul Economy seats each day for £200 return, ie £100 each way.

Different routes will be offered each day between Monday and Thursday at noon.

There will be two different destinations each day, to include the USA, Africa and South America over the course of the week.

Tickets will be made available at noon exactly.  ba.com will collapse at around 12.00:05 ….

Destinations will be listed on this special page of ba.com.

BA 100th birthday offer

On Monday the destinations were New York and Cape Town.  On Tuesday it was Abu Dhabi and Boston.  On Wednesday it was Pittsburgh and Rio.

Travel dates have varied by destination so it is impossible to predict what will be offered on Thursday.  The window is generally about four weeks.

These tickets have booked into ‘M’ class in general but this is not guaranteed.  This means that you can upgrade them later to World Traveller Plus if Avios reward seats open up.  Do note, however, that this will trigger the higher rate of Air Passenger Duty plus additional BA surcharges so it won’t be cheap.

As an Avios earning opportunity, this is surprisingly good.  A BA Blue member would earn 6,020 Avios and 80 tier points return from the Cape Town offer.  A BA Gold would have earned a whopping 18,060 Avios return plus 80 tier points for their £200 outlay – and they got to visit Cape Town.  Although 2 x 12-hour overnight flights in Economy is not exactly an easy way of earning cheap Avios ….

The promo page for BA’s 100th birthday sale offer is here.

Have you been given 2019 free Avios from British Airways?
(GAME OVER) Get a Virgin Premium Economy flight for £1 TODAY with its (rather long-shot) Golden Ticket game

Comments

1. It’s completely crashed today. Nothing!

2. Sorry, there seems to be a technical problem. Please try again in a few minutes.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

3. Pittsburgh late may to June and Rio Sept to Oct today.

4. Rio here I come!

5. BSI1978 says:

Just picked up two more tickets to Rio in mid September – initially thrown by the dates as was expecting some time over the next three months but having never been to Rio, I am chuffed with this!

I’ll never hear a bad word against BA again…….!

6. Federico says:

I’ve been able to get to the payment page (but didn’t book it as the dates were not suitable).

7. Didn’t book anything but worked perfectly fine for me. Good deals.

• Michael Cheshire says:

Is it too late, wish I knew how to get anywhere with this 🙁

• pick two dates within the agreed range, then you’ll quickly see daily tabs, for some of them you’ll see “100GBP”, click on those and pick the specific inbound/outbound flights and you are done.

8. So frustrating, clicked pay and then “flight sold out” there’s always next time!

9. Plenty of Pittsburgh dates still available. Rio flew out! Quickest of the week so far.

10. That time you bag 3x LHR – Rio tickets – winning!

11. Is it just me but I could’t see any GBP100 tickets, just regular priced one, even searching in September and October.

12. Anyone any ideas about tomorrow? The picture is much less obvious than the Rio and Abu Dhabi one…

13. rams1981 says:

Been to Rio so booked Pittsburg for end of May bank holiday weekend trip.

14. How do you guys do it? I was connected 12pm, but the site would not load !! and now of course all tickets are gone 🙁

• You need to refresh at exactly 12. Not before, or after. I usually open up 3 browsers (across my 3 screens) and it’s partly pot luck too.

• Thank you for the tips… I will try tomorrow!

• Michael Cheshire says:

Thanks, I was doing that but at the offer page that has the countdown on expecting a link to appear but nothing.

• rams1981 says:

I was sat on page. When countdown went to zero I refreshed page. Saw the dates on the page, worked out when may bank holiday was and went to boom. Had to change my dates around a bit as £100 fights weren’t available each day.

I imagine Pittsburg not as popular as Rio mind!

15. Michael Cheshire says:

I don’t even know how these guys figure out the dates/availability, it’s above me lol

• The planning is easy.

On the front page, it tells you the two destinations and the dates that the prices are relevant for.

From memory (or from Google Flights in a separate window) you know that, for example, BA has direct flights to Pittsburgh on Sundays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays in May.

You input suitable dates for you based on the direct BA flights.

If nobody else has been as quick as you in getting to this stage, then choose the flights and click through to pay. If you are quickest at payment, you’ve bagged yourself two cheap flights.