New Avios payment card from Capital On Tap works at HMRC

Capital On Tap’s Capital Club card is a new payment card for small businesses which offers Avios on your spending.

We covered it in detail here but in summary:

you get 10,000 Capital On Tap points (converts to 5,000 Avios) for signing up and spending £5,000 within 3 months – and HFP readers get a special higher bonus

you get 1 Capital On Tap point for every £1 you spend (converts to 0.5 Avios)

no foreign exchange fees when spending overseas

no ATM fees if withdrawing cash on the card

up to 56 days interest free credit on purchases (minimum monthly repayment is the greater of 10% of balance or £250)

up to 15 free supplementary cards for your staff

Capital club card from capital on tap

The card has an annual fee of £99.  This is obviously tax deductible as a business expense.  The maximum credit limit on offer is £50,000.

I have now heard from two HFP readers who have successfully used the card to pay HMRC.  It appears to go through as a personal debit card and is therefore accepted without any fees.  This would allow our self-employed readers to pay their VAT, PAYE, corporation tax and personal tax via Capital On Tap whilst earning 0.5 Avios per £1 spent.

You can learn more about the card in our main article here, which I have updated to include this HMRC information.  The application page is here.

If you use promo code headforpoints when signing up, you will receive an additional 500 Capital On Tap points.  This is worth an additional 250 Avios.

LATAM offering £1410 return fare to Sao Paolo from London
British Airways launches new Luxury Flights and Holidays sale

Comments

1. DaveL says:

Sao Paulo…

2. Paul Stevens says:

>>This would allow our self-employed readers to pay their VAT, PAYE, corporation tax and personal tax

I understand the VAT and corporation tax but how can I pay personal tax on a business card? Wouldn’t it come out of the company account?

• James M says:

If you’re self employed, you are your company there’s no reason you couldn’t pay personal tax.

Obviously for limited companies etc. you are not your company so personal obligations couldn’t be paid on a business card.

• “If you’re self employed, you are your company”

That’s only the case if you’re a sole-trader, but if you’re not (and you’re incorporated) that is most definitely not the case – the company and the person are completely separate legal entities. If you’re incorporated, then paying your personal tax on a corporate card could lead to tax consequences depending on the value and the length of time it’s outstanding for – get your accountants advice.

If you’re self-employed and incorporated, you can already pay your VAT, PAYE and Corp tax on personal cards and earn miles (through Curve), and then expense it to the Company.

• Paul Stevens says:

Ah thanks, for some reason I read self employed as having a limited company.

• Mr Dee says:

It’s called a directors loan

3. Crafty says:

OT: KLM flight cancelled and rerouted for next day. It was a fully non EU sector (Singapore to Denpasar); am I right in thinking EC261 therefore does not apply?

Secondly, they are saying they aren’t liable for accommodation costs. Presumably this is good enough for Amex Insurance (Plat) – I can show them a statement from KLM saying they won’t compensate me. But their reasoning is flimsy (wouldn’t get them out of EC261 if it were within EU) – saying flight cancelled because a PREVIOUS flight could not get through Pakistan airspace. Am I expected to have challenged this, or for insurance purposes will the statement that they won’t compensate me be sufficient?

• Shoestring says:

First point: correct, EC261 does not apply.

• Shoestring says:

Second point: not an expert, sometimes it is a good idea to ring the insurance co to get clearance for a cost *before* you incur the cost. Eg for BUPA, I know from experience that if you are likely to undergo medical intervention costing several £thou, ring them and get the OK first to make the claim painless afterwards.

• Crafty says:

Yep. Understand that. Cancellation was last minute so we weren’t in much of a position to do so this time… either way, incurring the cost is definitely fine under the policy, it’s just a question of where the needle points to on the burden of proof/effort.

• the_real_a says:

My experience of this (apart from medical) is that they wont “clear” anything. The CS agents dont know and will often tell you the wrong thing, and its difficult to get through to the underwriters who are trained to be be noncommittal. Having said that, i have never had a claim turned down.

• Lady London says:

Er…. Shoestring, would that also be the case if the ticket was departing EU… then the sector above… then continuing on? surely EU261 covers you to final destination including all intermediate flight segments, provided departing out of EU?

• Shoestring says:

it wasn’t ex EU

• Shoestring says:

but if the flight was 2 segments on one PNR, departing EU first then (say) refuelling break in Singapore before leaving for Singapore-Denpasar, you’d be covered

4. Sorry for the OT but I’ve lost my passport and need it as flying out Friday. I’ve not lost one before and don’t know what the protocol is. I understand have to cancel it online but what do I do about getting a new one fast? The website’s as useful as a box of frogs….

• Qwerty Bertie says:

You will have to go to one of the passport offices in person, for an urgent appointment. They offer a same day service, where you pick up four hours after the initial appointment at a counter. It means going to Victoria in London, unless you happen to have an easier route to one of the few alternatives. I think there is one in Belfast, but otherwise I don’t have a clue where else you could go.

• It’s Liverpool if you live in the North West.

• London for me but that would mean changing plans for next week which was no small task, like most of us here I’d imagine.

• Shoestring says:

oo-er you are a bit stuffed as I’m sure you know

in the past the UK was happy to issue 2 passports to people if they travelled for business to both Israel and Arabic countries as this made things easier – shame we can’t all get 2 passports!

I think your only route is fast track new passport (2 days), don’t worry about cancelling the old one as they’ll do that https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

• ‘oo-er you are a bit stuffed as I’m sure you know’

Yes I did know thanks Shoestring LOL 🙂

• You’ll probably have to get yourself down to your nearest passport office and queue with the (reportedly) thousands of others who need to renew their passports before March 29th. Good luck!

• Shoestring says:

the good news is: my wife has 2 passports

so she can lose 1 and still make my life a misery out at our place in the sun lol 🙂

• A colleague did his passport renewal and it arrived back in 2 days, guessing as you’ve lost yours, some extra security checks will be needed/time wasted.

• Shoestring says:

btw if you lose your passport abroad, go to the nearest Embassy or Consulate and they can generally sort you out there & then

• Lady London says:

Apparently lots of them are no longer able to issue passports but issue some kind of “travel authorisation” to get you home and you apply for a replacement passport separately?

• Shoestring says:

sounds about right

• Shoestring says:

OK you are on a boys night out in Prague. You lose your passport. What next ?

• Craig says:

It’s an emergency travel document and only available outside the UK. Having a photo of your passport makes it much easier.

• Doug M says:

Definite on the passport photo, that would have been a big help. Happened to me in Vienna and was fortunate to have a friend to vouch for my ID. Had to report theft to police and get a report, get some passport photos, and then embassy issued a travel authority. Once home applied for new passport.

• Lady London says:

just google it. there are appointments available at all the passport offices on Monday. Belfast a bit thin but others enough through the week. In London they only seemed to offer morning when I checked recently. I think it’s called “Premium” service.

• Lady London says:

beg pardon. There were available on Monday, but taking a closer look I think you can only book 2 days ahead now. so think you could book Wednesday. feedback on the service is it’s expensive but excellent.

• Lady London says:

0300 222 0000 but you can arrange online. There are photo booths at the place where your appointment is, if it’s London. You have to bring your completed form (from Post office)

• Yes I expected it wouldn’t be cheap, or even reasonable but what can you do?

• FOUND IT!!

Thanks everyone. If it ever happens again I’ll know what to do. It’s been so stressful. We’ve turned the whole house upside down in the process only to find it in the car. So relieved.

• Shoestring says:

I lost my wallet once out at our place in the sun – searched everywhere to no avail, we’d been visiting vineyards previous day and had shared the driving, as in: I drove there, my wife drove back, you get the picture, plus my younger bro was visiting so we’d made merry ‘testing the quality’ – anyway, having lost my wallet, I phoned up the banks & cancelled the credit cards

Needed to get some milk and bread from the local shop later that morning, so I jumped in the car, only to find my wallet safely wedged next to the front passenger seat! 🙂 what a useless faff

5. Jimbob says:

OT – need to put through £400 on my SPG Amex in the next couple of days to get the sign up bonus, so I can used the current bonus offer for transfers to Avios.

Any suggestions as what I can put on the card that would be easily refundable to make the £1000 target spend?

• Peter 64K says:

Not refundable but council tax? Or send £400 friends and family via PayPal to someone you trust to give it back?
      Gift cards you will use later?

• Memesweeper says:

Peter’s suggestion is a good one: get down to Tesco and grab some cards for Netflix or John Lewis or whatever else you know is certain to soak up some of your spending over the next few months.

• Mr Dee says:

Morrisons gift card, use on fuel, shopping and they give change

• Plus you don’t want the transaction that triggers the bonus to be refundable – I’d go with the suggestions above!

6. I applied for a Capital on Tap card immediately after reading this article and while the fee doubled, though £199 was still a good price given the return. During the application I was particularly impressed by the fact that it recognised my obscure company name from just the first few letters and more impressed when it brought up the current shareholders names asking what % holdings they had.

The next day I got an email saying I have been approved £10,000 credit and the following day received my card which I registered online. They then very quickly collected the £199 by direct debit from my Company bank account. I then tried to use the card but it was rejected, and TODAY received an email to say my application was unsuccessful.

BEWARE Guys !!!!!!

• Odd. The £199 card is the new version with 20,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus, which is actually better than the original version.

Very weird if they collected the fee but then cancelled it! I can chase with them if you want.

7. What is the general experience of trying to use this on the HMRC website ? Is it accepted as a free free debit card ?

Once the credit limit is used up, is it possible to pay the debit balance off immediately and therefore use the credit limit multiple times in a month ?

Did I pick up from one of the posts above that the fee for the card has now gone up to £199 per month ?

• It hasn’t gone up. They are trialling a different – and better – card which is 1 Avios per £1 spent, 20,000 Avios sign up bonus (+ 500 extra for the headforpoints promo code) and £199 fee.

8. As a PS to my last question, how reliable are the Avios transfers ? Do they transfer automatically to a linked BAEC account after the month end like Amex ?

9. Is there any update on whether this works to pay HMRC? And do the avios credit automatically and reliably? Which is the better card?

• Capital On Tap 100% works with HMRC. A reader I know well sent me some screenshots today to confirm it. This makes 3 readers who have now successfully tried it, but the guy today is the first one I know and therefore trust implicitly.